Afghan President flees country-Islamic Republic surrenders. Taliban takes country. - Page 17 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Crantag wrote:Are you yelling that to yourself in the mirror right now?

If you aren't, it seems like you should be.

It goes both ways. The tags are placed there by the libtard mods. It was immediately debunked by the Taliban themselves and this report from The Seattle Times:
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... t-outrage/

They were dogs being used by the US Military under contract.
Igor Antunov wrote:Image

Sure the dogs will be put to good use. There is no way the Taliban would have starved trained dogs. However you have to question why they were left at all. This has nothing to do with their safety but that they should be regarded as US personnel. These dogs aided the American mission. Dog handlers regard their dogs as family and someone made a call to leave them behind? The US left a day early ffs. Couldn't they organise another charted flight or two to bring them home as well?
@colliric I am not concerned with animal cruelty when cruelty to other humans is of greater concern. I'd be more concerned with the people who died at the airport than some dogs, even though I am sure you put the lives of dogs over that of humans. That kind of fits with your stupid opinions on vaccines.
Afghanistan: Taliban to rely on Chinese funds, spokesperson says
With the help of China, the Taliban will fight for an economic comeback in Afghanistan, Zabihullah Mujahid tells Italian newspaper.

“China is our most important partner and represents a fundamental and extraordinary opportunity for us, because it is ready to invest and rebuild our country,” the Taliban spokesperson was quoted as saying in the interview.

He said the New Silk Road – an infrastructure initiative with which China wants to increase its global influence by opening up trade routes – was held in high regard by the Taliban.

There are “rich copper mines in the country, which, thanks to the Chinese, can be put back into operation and modernised. In addition, China is our pass to markets all over the world.”

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/2 ... erson-says
colliric wrote:I expected this announcement. Belt and road is definitely on the cards.

As did I.

There were some wondering if the Chinese and Taliban would get along.

To me it was obvious they would make quick partners.

It's sorta a win win, really.

America is pretty fucking stupid here.

Hell, if we actually care about afghanis maybe we should be celebrating this, the contrast is whereas America sought influence by way of bombs, China will be attaining influence by (re)building stuff.

Can't say enough of how stupid and shitty America is.

America's defeat is in an incidental manner a Chinese victory here.
Taliban to follow Iran model, appoint Supreme Leader as highest authority
The Taliban are designing a government based on Iran’s model through appointing the group’s leader Hibatullah Akhundzada as the Supreme Leader of Afghanistan, CNN-News18 reported on Tuesday.

While Iran has a president and a cabinet, the supreme leader is the religious authority who holds the highest office in the country with powers to dictate policy, overrule laws and override the president. He has the final say in all matters of state.

“Taliban’s supreme leader Hibatullah Akhundzada — who has never made a public appearance and whose whereabouts have largely remained unknown — will most likely be the Supreme Leader, presiding over a Supreme Council of 11 to 72,” CNN-News18 said citing sources.

The Taliban announced on Sunday that Akhundzada is in Afghanistan. “He is present in Kandahar. He has been living there from the very beginning,” said Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid.

Mujahid also told Reuters on Saturday that the group will announce a complete cabinet within a week, and it will include not just ministers but leaders as well.

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/worl ... ity-Report

UK defence secretary suggests US is no longer a superpower
Ben Wallace, Britain’s defence secretary, suggested the US could no longer be considered a superpower in an interview where he also contrasted his department’s handling of the Afghanistan crisis with that of the embattled Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.

The pointed comments – coming at a time of heightened transatlantic and domestic tensions over the messy retreat – feature in an interview in the Spectator magazine given days after the final western forces evacuated from Kabul.

Asked whether the exit from Afghanistan demonstrated the limits of British power on the world stage, Wallace started by saying, “It is obvious that Britain is not a superpower,” then appeared to switch his focus to the US. “But a superpower that is also not prepared to stick at something isn’t probably a superpower either. It is certainly not a global force, it’s just a big power,” the defence secretary added.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... superpower

Americas closest ally is throwing shade...
Haha haha ha... Well, the Brits do know something about disastrous retreats from Kabul. :D

When they retreated in 1842, only a handful of the 16'000 soldiers and camp followers made i back alive.

They did however remain a Superpower for another hundred years so I don't think a dramatic and disastrous retreat from Afghanistan is the end of an Empire, rather than something every Empire must do at least once in a lifetime. :lol:
MadMonk wrote:I don't think a dramatic and disastrous retreat from Afghanistan is the end of an Empire

It's the beginning of the end perhaps, a certain sign of decline nonetheless. However, the US retreat was spectacular rather than disastrous, but the point remains anyway. The real disaster was the free-fall collapse of the Afghan government.

I looked up Hibatullah Akhundzada a bit. A 59-60-year-old ideologue with no military experience. Not a soldier, which may have made it easier to negotiate and reach a reasonable agreement with the Taliban.

Beren wrote:It's the beginning of the end perhaps, a certain sign of decline nonetheless. However, the US retreat was spectacular rather than disastrous, but the point remains anyway. The real disaster was the free-fall collapse of the Afghan government.

I looked up Hibatullah Akhundzada a bit. A 59-60-year-old ideologue with no military experience. Not a soldier, which may have made it easier to negotiate and reach a reasonable agreement with the Taliban.

A serious man. Very serious. No, he's going to be trouble for some people.
MadMonk wrote:Haha haha ha... Well, the Brits do know something about disastrous retreats from Kabul. :D

When they retreated in 1842, only a handful of the 16'000 soldiers and camp followers made i back alive.

They did however remain a Superpower for another hundred years so I don't think a dramatic and disastrous retreat from Afghanistan is the end of an Empire, rather than something every Empire must do at least once in a lifetime. :lol:

I don't think Afghanistan affects US power at all. If anything projects like Afghanistan are a drain on whichever power chooses to saddle itself with it. It is now Iran, China and Pakistani problem. Pakistan has flirted with Taliban going back decades, I wonder what Pakistan plans to do with its newly liberated brother. Pakistan's Prime Minister- a creepy fellow, cricket star and all, if you ask me- celebrated the Taliban triumph as Afghanistan freed from the shackles of slavery. Only for his Foreign Minister to ask in another interview, without a trace of irony, that the US should not abandon Afghanistan; that it would be same mistake as after Soviet departure. I say Pakistan takes the prize for sheer cynicism. Let Pakistan have Afghanistan.

I have a feeling things will still get interesting in Afghanistan. How the Taliban manages things will make for some interesting observations. Afghanistan of 2021 is not the Afghanistan of 1996 when the Taliban first took over. By many factors it is a much more consumer society, how can it not be after two decades of hundreds of billions infused into it. People have a way of getting restless when their ATMs cannot spit out money that is rightfully theirs.
Igor Antunov wrote:
UK defence secretary suggests US is no longer a superpower

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... superpower

Americas closest ally is throwing shade...

He's totally 100% accurate. China and Russia are really the only Superpowers now.

The US has been in obvious decline since 1989. Wokeness and the epidemic of SJW politics has just spead things up.

Australia and New Zealand can no longer rely on the US government for support. Look how they repay us.

Oh and America's actual current closest ally is Israel, not the UK.
annatar1914 wrote:@Igor Antunov ;

I happen to have a ''big scary beard'' myself...

Anyway, the man allowed his own son to become a suicide bomber in an attack in 2017. I'd say he's pretty hardcore.

I too have a big scary beard and If I had 5 wives and 10+ sons I too would commit some to some kind of cause. Expendable children are expendable.

None of what you said implies it is legal to haras[…]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]

No. There is nothing arbitrary about whether peop[…]