Petrol Stations closed in the UK-Military to be drafted to deliver fuel - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

B0ycey wrote:I suspect Europe want better relations with Russia for their gas but won't bend over backwards for them. I doubt they will ever be close.

Russia would be our bridge to Asia as the UK was to North America, and they're ready to step in as soon as the Anglo-Americans are driven out (by China and them).

B0ycey wrote:As for the UK, I do see them returning to the EU actually. But it is a couple of generations away.

It's a half generation away, actually. If the referendum happens 5 or 10 years later, Remain wins. Partly because Corbyn also would be too old for party leader then.
B0ycey wrote:Being in logistics is good at the moment

Jam today for some, maybe, but that won't help resolve the long-standing structural problems in your economy anytime soon. A 15 to 20% rise in food prices will put millions at risk of food insecurity

:)
Political Interest wrote:Alright, that's fine. I'm not Anglo-Saxon either but I just don't think we should blame entire nationalities for the politics or sociological trends they as individuals have no control over. I didn't ask such a question as a provocation.

My biggest problem with Anglo-Saxons is their self-harming idiocy, which costs them, as well as the world, a lot. I wonder if they see how careful everyone tries to be while they're acting like a mad elephant. That's how it was between 2016 and 2020 at least, which era started with Brexit and ended with the storming of the US Capitol.
Beren wrote:My biggest problem with Anglo-Saxons is their self-harming idiocy, which costs them, as well as the world, a lot. I wonder if they see how careful everyone tries to be while they're acting like a mad elephant. That's how it was between 2016 and 2020 at least, which era started with Brexit and ended with the storming of the US Capitol.

I don't understand a lot of the ideological and sociological trends happening in Anglo-Saxon countries at the moment. This strange combination of libertarianism with woke ideology is really weird. Don't understand why there's this need for competition with the Russians and Chinese. There's also huge domestic problems that are ignored or not addressed. Crime in the UK for example is completely out of control. Quite a number of British cities are absolutely terrifying.
Political Interest wrote:I don't understand a lot of the ideological and sociological trends happening in Anglo-Saxon countries at the moment. This strange combination of libertarianism with woke ideology is really weird. Don't understand why there's this need for competition with the Russians and Chinese. There's also huge domestic problems that are ignored or not addressed. Crime in the UK for example is completely out of control. Quite a number of British cities are absolutely terrifying.

Their basic problem may be that Putin made Russia great again and the rise of China seems unstoppable while clear signs of decline appearing in the Anglosphere.
Beren wrote:Their basic problem may be that Putin made Russia great again and the rise of China seems unstoppable while clear signs of decline appearing in the Anglosphere.

The signs of decline are purely from internal sources. China and Russia have nothing to do with the soaring crime rates or massive sociological problems developing.
Political Interest wrote:The signs of decline are purely from internal sources. China and Russia have nothing to do with the soaring crime rates or massive sociological problems developing.

I don't mean that they are connected, but it must make your decline worse if your rivals are rising. It'd be obviously better for them if they were declining together, maybe climate change will do that for them.
B0ycey wrote:Well this firm was shit at negotiating then.

Many are, it seems.

Senior industry figures said that there would now be a battle between British companies to hire drivers, with companies less able to pay finding themselves short of workers. Sources said that there were already major companies under threat.

— The Guardian

* My emphasis

p.s. Food insecurity

Worst case scenario.

The BMJ estimates that when combined in proportions used to calculate CPI food basket costs, the price of the weekly shop could go up by 22.5%.

:)

Beren wrote:Remain wins

I can't see that matters.

The EU isn't forced to dance to the UK's tune.

:lol:
Beren wrote:My biggest problem with Anglo-Saxons is their self-harming idiocy, which costs them, as well as the world, a lot. I wonder if they see how careful everyone tries to be while they're acting like a mad elephant. That's how it was between 2016 and 2020 at least, which era started with Brexit and ended with the storming of the US Capitol.

As I said, it tends to be British people who are either older, upper-class or right-wing who are possessed by utterly self-destructive ideas, and who seem determined to drive the entire country off a cliff. They've been like this since at least the 1980s. It's weird. :eh:
The Anglos are no different from any one else. The problem is they hang on to former glories which I guess is absent from other nations which make them do idiotic things. Brexit is the sense of doing things on our own and the Americans don't want to lose their hegemony. Although I don't see America losing such a thing in any case. They will however have to share it given I also see China as unstoppable. Not that I think they need stopping. I do think the world is safer if there isn't a single hegemony power as both will act in defence to the other as was the case in the Cold War. The issue is if one actively fights against the other. Which I guess is what AUKUS is about. The solution is trade. And guess which hemogeny power has taken that route. :hmm:

Brexit might be idiotic or not, but it's not democratic backsliding.

The storming of the US Capitol was. Why not compare the US to Hungary or Poland?
Rugoz wrote:Brexit might be idiotic or not, but it's not democratic backsliding.

The storming of the US Capitol was. Why not compare the US to Hungary or Poland?

I wonder if you mean it or you're just trolling (I'd bet it's most likely both :lol: ), however, everyone's free to have their own interpretations. Brexit, as well as Trump, is part of the Anglosphere, and they're flip sides to the same coin, plus they're also directly connected. The era between 2016 and 2020 I was talking about is the Trump-Brexit era, actually. You're right that Westminster wasn't literally stormed, nonetheless. :lol:
Potemkin wrote:As I said, it tends to be British people who are either older, upper-class or right-wing who are possessed by utterly self-destructive ideas, and who seem determined to drive the entire country off a cliff. They've been like this since at least the 1980s. It's weird. :eh:

Old Brits and Old Americans are way more similar than they are different it seems.
Beren wrote:I wonder if you mean it or you're just trolling (I'd bet it's most likely both :lol: ), however, everyone's free to have their own interpretations. Brexit, as well as Trump, is part of the Anglosphere, and they're flip sides to the same coin, plus they're also directly connected. The era between 2016 and 2020 I was talking about is the Trump-Brexit era, actually. You're right that Westminster wasn't literally stormed, nonetheless. :lol:

I'm not trolling at all. The UK is simply not a case of democratic backsliding.

I listen to political science podcasts regularly, and when they talk about democratic backsliding in the US, they discuss countries like Hungary, Venezuela, Turkey etc. (among others).

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]