Russia-Ukraine War 2022 - Page 478 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Rancid
ness31 wrote:So, the EU, the G7 and Australia are going to cap Russian oil at 60 dollars a barrel but they aren’t supposed to buying it anyway? :roll:

I wish I was never born. I’m living in a fucking dark age.

It's called trying to be practical. You can't just cut it all off, so this is a transitional measure.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?
Rancid wrote:
It's called trying to be practical. You can't just cut it all off, so this is a transitional measure.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Everyone wants a simple narrative, and nobody wants cognitive dissonance.
By ness31
Russia will stop selling the oil. No oil for anyone. What then? Will you have to invade Russia to secure the oil everyone so desperately needs to steal?
ness31 wrote:Russia will stop selling the oil. No oil for anyone. What then? Will you have to invade Russia to secure the oil everyone so desperately needs to steal?

Russia will not stop selling oil, there will be buyers. This is aimed at making them sell it for even less than they are currently, hurting oil revenues. It's not perfect. The global economy is so intertwined that sanctions are messy and often ineffective at the best of times. But you think we should proceed with business as usual, I take it? Perhaps literally stab Kiev in the back, and then there will be everlasting peace. :lol:
By ness31
MadMonk wrote:Russia will not stop selling oil, there will be buyers. This is aimed at making them sell it for even less than they are currently, hurting oil revenues. It's not perfect. The global economy is so intertwined that sanctions are messy and often ineffective at the best of times. But you think we should proceed with business as usual, I take it? Perhaps literally stab Kiev in the back, and then there will be everlasting peace. :lol:

Why would one sell a product to customers that don’t want to pay the asking price? :|
ness31 wrote:Why would one sell a product to customers that don’t want to pay the asking price? :|

Everything is about leverage. Russia has been forced to sell its oil at a hefty discount, to China and India in particular, because they don't have many options left. Oil prices have fallen already and they can buy it from the market with ease unless it's worth their while.

Limiting Kremlin Revenues and Stabilizing Global Energy Supply with a Price Cap on Russian Oil

The price cap is an important tool to restrict the revenue Russia receives to fund its illegal war in Ukraine, while also maintaining a reliable supply of oil onto global markets. This policy is especially critical to make oil supplies available in low- and middle-income countries hit hard by the effects of Russia’s wa

These economies are well-positioned to benefit from the price cap’s stabilizing effect on prices for two reasons. First, countries in the Price Cap Coalition, are already committed to prohibiting or phasing out imports of Russian oil and will not directly benefit from a lower price. Accordingly, it is prospective buyers elsewhere—especially emerging markets—that stand to gain directly from low-cost Russian oil. Second, emerging market and low-income economies are generally more exposed to price shocks than advanced economies. The price cap therefore particularly benefits importers from these countries by helping stabilize global oil prices.

That's the idea, anyway. In practice we shall see.
By Rancid
ness31 wrote:Russia will stop selling the oil. No oil for anyone. What then? Will you have to invade Russia to secure the oil everyone so desperately needs to steal?

Have they stopped selling it?

ness31 wrote:Why would one sell a product to customers that don’t want to pay the asking price? :|

You really haven't been paying attention, have you?
By ness31
Rancid wrote:Have they stopped selling it?

You really haven't been paying attention, have you?

Was there a price cap prior? Maybe I wasn’t paying attention..

Last time I checked it was Russia demanding payment in rubles..I apologize if I’ve got it wrong.
By Rancid
ness31 wrote:Was there a price cap prior? Maybe I wasn’t paying attention..

Last time I checked it was Russia demanding payment in rubles..I apologize if I’ve got it wrong.

Russia won't stop selling oil (and gas) since it is it's chief source of income, especially after sanctions.

Russia has been selling at a deep discount to China and India in particular (China, the so called friend of Russia is taking advantage of the sanctions lol). This is because of a combo of sanctions and many western nations not wanting to buy Russia's blood oil (or at least, they are reluctantly buying as little as possible). Given Europe's dependence on Russian energy, Europe still needs to (reluctantly) buy at least some oil (and gas) from Russia. Thus, they want to place limits on pricing to try and not fund Russia's war machine as much as possible. Unclear how effective that will all be, but the point is, they are trying to play the cards they have.

That's basically it. Russia will continue to sell, they must sell. Europe, will continue to buy, as they must buy. However Europe is trying to find ways to minimize the negative impact of that buying (i.e. the more money Russia gets, the longer it will continue to kill Ukrainians).

All of that to say, no, Russia will not stop selling to Europe, which was your original suggestion.
By ness31
Rancid wrote:Russia won't stop selling oil (and gas) since it is it's chief source of income, especially after sanctions.

Russia has been selling at a deep discount to China and India in particular (China, the so called friend of Russia is taking advantage of the sanctions lol). This is because of a combo of sanctions and many western nations not wanting to buy Russia's blood oil (or at least, they are reluctantly buying as little as possible). Given Europe's dependence on Russian energy, Europe still needs to (reluctantly) buy at least some oil (and gas) from Russia. Thus, they want to place limits on pricing to try and not fund Russia's war machine as much as possible. Unclear how effective that will all be, but the point is, they are trying to play the cards they have.

That's basically it. Russia will continue to sell, they must sell. Europe, will continue to buy, as they must buy. However Europe is trying to find ways to minimize the negative impact of that buying (i.e. the more money Russia gets, the longer it will continue to kill Ukrainians).

All of that to say, no, Russia will not stop selling to Europe, which was your original suggestion.

And I am happy to see how this plays out lol. I really have no problem saying I’m wrong if I’m wrong. Geez :lol:
By Rancid
litwin wrote:https://twitter.com/i/status/1599125254420713472

Good to see they are providing an avenue for these young people.

What's the Russian war crime tally at this time?
Sandzak wrote:The madness of war is both sides think they can win...

Both sides believe they can break the other sides will to go on, before their own that is. Recent surveys in Russia puts war favourability at 25%, down from 80% in April. 55% favour peace talks.

MadMonk wrote:
Both sides believe they can break the other sides will to go on, before their own that is. Recent surveys in Russia puts war favourability at 25%, down from 80% in April. 55% favour peace talks.

Peace is in the hands of Russia/Putin. All they have to do, is turn around go home.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]