Russia-Ukraine War 2022 - Page 423 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Batiushka wrote:‘Russian roulette’ is a most peculiar expression. At least for any Russian. For the simple reason that he has never heard of it. In fact, it does not exist in Russian, neither the expression, nor the reality. It is something we learn about with astonishment when we learn English. The expression is an American invention and only an American with a death-wish could have thought up such a thing, in 1937, in fact (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_roulette).

It's interesting that the expression "Russian Roulette" doesn't exist in Russian.

But even more interesting is that the CONCEPT is not part of the Russian experience either.

I like the idea of changing the name to "American Roulette" since it is Americans who have this concept deeply embedded in their hyper-commercialized culture.
By ingliz
Rancid wrote:so it's ok for Russia to use one today

Why do you think that saying Russia says it will use nuclear weapons means it's ok to use nuclear weapons?

Many things are not ok; that doesn't stop not ok shit from happening.

:roll:
QatzelOk wrote:There are many great parts of the speech, but this one is my favorite:
[blah]
The Maidan coup d'état demonstrated that the West will destroy the world if it isn't stopped. The West that killed off hundreds of other nations .... with no remorse ... has its sites on Russia and China now. These two nations are much stronger than the Cherokee or Apache were.

So Putin the righteous hero invades Ukraine to avenge the american indians.
I guess the Krim tartars and Uighurs (among lots of others) might disagree. What about Russia and the exploitation of China during colonial times? Putin uses anything far-fetched to justify his deeds and you fall for it? Not even Putin believes that.
By Wels
"Thrown in a meat grinder." The elite brigade of the GRU suffered serious losses during the retreat from Liman

"On September 30 and October 1, a number of messages appeared on the VKontakte social network, which indicated that the retreat of the Russian army from the city of Liman in the Donetsk region was not as easy as the official Russian media reported, and not only volunteers tried to defend the city from Russia or mobilized residents of the self-proclaimed republics that Vladimir Putin had declared by that time to be Russian territory."

"Their relatives do not have full information about the place and circumstances of the death of the paratroopers, the information they receive is fragmentary: “I know that these guys were abandoned there, they fought back for a whole day, but could not."

https://www-bbc-com.translate.goog/russ ... r_pto=wapp
By Drlee
Putin is likely to use nukes. His military is hopelessly outclassed. This well may be about his personal survival at this point.

He is killing too many generals and they are going to start doing the math. I see Putin being arrested for amassing so much personal fortune and given a show trial. Soon.

It appears that OPEC did cut production as Igor said they would. They will pay a terrible price for it.
By Rancid
Drlee wrote:Putin is likely to use nukes. His military is hopelessly outclassed. This well may be about his personal survival at this point.

There's also the option of chemical weapons for him.

ingliz wrote:Why do you think that saying Russia says it will use nuclear weapons means it's ok to use nuclear weapons?

When YOU say it, it means YOU are saying it's ok for Russia to use them.

This is you earlier.
ingliz wrote:The Americans have been gaming nuclear war since the 70s. They think they can win. I think they are in for a rude awakening when it all kicks off.

Russia is clearly doing the gaming here. Yet, you turn a blind eye.
If Russia launched a nuclear weapon, even a tactical nuke, I would predict a lot of companies, consumers, and governments around the world would stop doing any business with Russia for a long time. It would be economic suicide for Russia. Putin would be politically finished in Russia I would imagine, the oligarchs & loyalists can't support you when they're mad and broke and you don't have the means to pay them off.
I think you are right. The first consequence would be for the world to sequester every cent held in the accounts of Russian nationals. Essentially there would be no more oligarchs.
Putin and pretty much any of his high ranking officials would also be fair game. I can imagine the US and other countries posting "wanted dead or alive" signs, and I can imagine Putin being assassinated sooner or later, inside or outside Russia.
Wels wrote:So Putin the righteous hero invades Ukraine to avenge the american indians.

Bad framing.

It's more like Putin is the sixth bullet in the chambre of the USA's Freedom Roulette game it's been playing with warfare ever since it was created.

1. First Nations leaders

2. First Nations people

3. Spanish colonies in Americas

4. Europeans such as Germans

5. Resource possessing countries all over the world

6. Putin (final chamber of gun)

According to this, in the first 20 years of its existence (1776-1796), the USA government spent 85% of its discretionary budget on killing the First Nations.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/09/30 ... harges-70/
I just don't see any gain for Putin in using nukes. Even if he could wipe out the Ukrainian army with them, he will simply be inviting the west to take off the kid gloves and hand him a proper ass-kicking.

And thats even before we get into how the Russian oligarchs and generals might react
Think like a Russian, not a westerner. They love strong leaders. They (the population) love the idea of dominating and winning.

Freedom is less important to them. Hell, they monitor the shit out of their people and the larger populace is OK with it. If the FSB or the local police come along and kick the shit out of you... everyone thinks you had it coming.

What Putin gains by using nukes is everyone takes him seriously again. He freezes much of the dissention and rolls over his enemies and gets what he wants with iron-fisted tactics.

What kid gloves? We've transmitted weakness for so long, it doesn't hold water anymore. He's having oligarchs thrown out of windows FFS! I'm talking reality, not what you would "like" to happen.

This feelgood thought is so surreal.
BlutoSays wrote:Think like a Russian, not a westerner. They love strong leaders. They (the population) love the idea of dominating and winning.

Freedom is less important to them. Hell, they monitor the shit out of their people and the larger populace is OK with it. If the FSB or the local police come along and kick the shit out of you... everyone thinks you had it coming.

What Putin gains by using nukes is everyone takes him seriously again. He freezes much of the dissention and rolls over his enemies and gets what he wants with iron-fisted tactics.

What kid gloves? We've transmitted weakness for so long, it doesn't hold water anymore. He's having oligarchs thrown out of windows FFS! I'm talking reality, not what you would "like" to happen.

Absolutely none of this is true. Where is the fuck do you get your nonsense? Wait. Perhaps you are going to tell me that Trump is a "strong leader". :lol: He still has his jaws locked permanently around Putin's dick.
Drlee wrote:Absolutely none of this is true. Where is the fuck do you get your nonsense? Wait. Perhaps you are going to tell me that Trump is a "strong leader". :lol: He still has his jaws locked permanently around Putin's dick.

What does Trump have to do with this, idiot? You couldn't help yourself, huh?

Regroup, put your feewings away, and think logically and rationally.

@FiveofSwords Also, don't get too hung up on g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]