Russia-Ukraine War 2022 - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Igor Antunov wrote:Even a majority with decisive yes/no answers support outright annexation of Ukraine. I presume due to historical reasons as they see them. The western perspective regarding Ukraine is probably more alien and opportunistic to Ukrainians than the Russian one.

Annexing Ukraine is a massive violation of international law, as is attacking them unprovoked.
Fasces wrote:Legally, is he though?

Probably not. The bigger the crime, the less likely you are to be a criminal (see that fat fuck Trump... Hopefully he dies of a heart attack soon).

That said, I'm of the mindset that every single head of state should get sent to prison automatically. They're all guilty of something.
Last edited by Rancid on 24 Feb 2022 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
The UN charter doesn't itself criminalize a war until the Security Council votes to do so - which Russia can veto. That's why I asked about the Rome Statute.

Having looked it up, it's vague - Russia signed but didn't ratify, and it looks like the actual illegalization of wars of aggression isn't enforceable until a definition is adopted and one was proposed in 2012 but doesn't look to have been accepted yet and blah blah blah, what @Rancid said probably applies.
Rancid wrote:He's a war criminal.

Pretty much every major politician is a war criminal of somesort these days. That's part of the problem. Him probably worse.

I will be protesting this war. I'll attend at least one protest. We can talk about reasons it occured later.

Igor living in Australia and being an Aussie citizen should follow Australian customs, now we talk about the Prime Minister's response. This is a crisis our country is involved in.

Pick:
Support Ukraine OR pro-war = We go in if asked, no negotiation with Putin.

Or

Support Russia OR anti-war = We don't send troops, try to help negotiate peace with Putin.

Australian will be split between as usual.
Putin, if he can be believed, say's he does not plan to occupy Ukraine. If that is true, it means he's basically just trying to escalate the intimidation with some violence from the sides lines. The current shelling being an example of that.

colliric wrote:Pretty much every major politician is a war criminal of somesort these days. That's part of the problem. Him probably worse.

Of course, hence why I said, all heads of state should be sent to prison automatically after serving their terms or after 8 years, which ever comes first.
colliric wrote:Pretty much every major politician is a war criminal of somesort these days. That's part of the problem. Him probably worse.

I will be protesting this war. I'll attend at least one protest. We can talk about reasons it occured later.

Igor living in Australia and being an Aussie citizen should follow Australian customs, now we talk about the Prime Minister's response. This is a crisis our country is involved in.

Pick:
Support Ukraine OR pro-war = We go in if asked, no negotiation with Putin.

Or

Support Russia OR anti-war = We don't send troops, try to help negotiate peace with Putin.

Australian will be split between as usual.

Or, China strolls in, in a few weeks and says "Hey RU and US, let's all grow up" and tries to broker a cease fire in an attempt to turn around its image on the world stage.*

*Never let a good crisis go to waste.
Last edited by BlutoSays on 24 Feb 2022 04:42, edited 2 times in total.
Fasces wrote:The UN charter doesn't itself criminalize a war until the Security Council votes to do so - which Russia can veto. That's why I asked about the Rome Statute.

Having looked it up, it's vague - Russia signed but didn't ratify, and it looks like the actual illegalization of wars of aggression isn't enforceable until a definition is adopted and one was proposed in 2012 but doesn't look to have been accepted yet and blah blah blah, what @Rancid said probably applies.

Doesn't really matter, the ICC would never be able to arrest Putin or his cronies.

Putin did however break international law. Being a "war crime" is different.
Rancid wrote:Putin, if he can be believed, say's he does not plan to occupy Ukraine. If that is true, it means he's basically just trying to escalate the intimidation with some violence from the sides lines. The current shelling being an example of that.

He's a serial liar.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Putin did however break international law.

I am not defending Putin or his war of aggression, but as far as I understand international law is largely 'opt in' - if Russia did not ratify the Rome Statute, or if the Rome Statute did not adopt the resolution defining a 'war of aggression', did Putin, from a legal standpoint, break international law? Again, I reiterate this is an intellectual curiosity.
Reports of troop in Odessa already.

Putin has issued a warning to all who may intervene. Basically saying they will unleash consequences like any we've ever seen.

The guy is unhinged.
wat0n wrote:Putin did violate a treaty, but I'm not sure he broke an international custom.

So will Russia become entangled for a long while in Ukraine?

Hard to know. However, he basically threatened the entire world. Couple that with the fact that recently he touted the use of strategic nuclear weapons.....

I'm telling you, he has a terminal illness.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls Why do you think that? If you wer[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]