Russia-Ukraine War 2022 - Page 404 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

ingliz wrote:Russia considers it an existential threat, so it's not going to walk away.

Putin considers it an existential threat to his regime, but if he doesn't walk away, it might actually become an existential threat to Russia itself. Namely if the Russian military is weakened to a point where it cannot prevent secession.
@Rugoz

So you believe any bollocks that's posted on the interwebs.

Why would they issue that when there are millions of perfectly serviceable AKs in long-term storage?

:lol:
By Rugoz
Sandzak wrote:The truth dies first in a war. Do not believe everything. AK-47 costs about 50 bucks.

Looks genuine to me. They obviously get them out of storage. This one wasn't stored properly. Not saying all AKs handed out are in that condition.
Sandzak wrote:The truth dies first in a war. Do not believe everything. AK-47 costs about 50 bucks.

In places with abundance and little money, even less than that. In scarcity and sudden need, then the sky is the limit. Russia has stockpiles, but how well have they been kept?

Agree with @ingliz this complete madness has to end with negotiations or something far worse. Neither side will make the concessions necessary at this stage. We'll see how things have shaken up by winter.
@Sandzak

How well have they been kept?

Saturate them with cosmoline, dump them in sealed barrels, and they're good for a couple of generations down the line.

It's not rocket science.

:lol:
MadMonk wrote:Agree with @ingliz this complete madness has to end with negotiations or something far worse. Neither side will make the concessions necessary at this stage. We'll see how things have shaken up by winter.

By annexing territory Russia has basically closed the door to negotiations. There's no way the world will accept this, in particular not when its combined with veiled nuclear threats. Imagine what kind of precedent that would set.
Igor Antunov wrote:Considering Russia won't stop attacking NATO in Ukraine until all territories annexed are fully liberated, and considering it will continue beyond that to Odessa and Kharkov again, what is your point?

even you admit the new recruits won't be combat ready for another 1 to 2 months. Thus the power discrepancy that you yourself point out will continue for that time, which means Ukrainians will continue to gain ground. My point is that this territory that Ukraine will gain will very soon be considered "Russian". Just not a good look for strong and mighty Putin is all I'm saying....

Also, if you really think that the only thing Russia needs now to reverse their losses is simply more men at the front line, then you are even more delusional than I thought. They have to be equipped for,starters.
By Rich
ingliz wrote:Who is winning or losing in the conventional sense of materiel lost isn't the question one should be asking. Russia 'losing', pfft, who cares, it doesn't matter - Think N. Vietnam.

South Vietnam was totally different. You had the split between a Catholic Vietnamese elite and the Buddhist majority. You also had a large land poor peasantry, whose identification with the South Vietnamese State was weak. The significant and powerful neo-nazi organisations within Ukraine are not sign of the weakness of Ukrainian nationalism, but its vigor and robustness.

That was what was so brilliant about Iraq. many leftists had pathetic fantaises about Iraq becoming another Vietnam, but the strength of Shia nationalism and Kurdish nationalism was far too much for the Sunni Arabs to be able to restore minority rule and the hopes of lefties around the world were dashed.
Rugoz wrote:Only the best:

While Rust on weapons is not a good sign, i am pretty sure Russians can find plenty of servicable AKs to give to the troops. Rust in small numbers on stored weapons is nothing surprising actually and the example given is a bit extreme. No need to underestimate the conscription. It is a game changer but it probably won't be enough. Modern war is all about meat vs steel and steel usually wins.

Also mobilisation will drop the moral of the whole Russian army even further since the people who thought they could leave now or in couple of months can't anymore. That is the main impact in my opinion on the army that it will have. Drop moral even lower than it is.

As for actual troops on the frontline, it is a good question of what is going to happen. Russia has problems with logistics as-is meaning that fitting extra troops will be very hard if not possible at all. If Russia wants to play this as a numbers game then they need to have logistics for it. They also need somebody to train those mobilised and also command them all of which it was lacking with its regular army.

If previously for every piece of Ukranian equipment Russia was loosing 5-6 now the numbers will be 10-20 to one with higher rate of equipment abandonment. Is it better to have 2x-3x troops while suffering 2x more material losses per enemy loss is a good question. I guess it can work out if they manage to overwhelm the Ukranians in mass but again, i don't see it happening since Ukraine anyways has a million under arms which are not planning to bend over.
By Wels
ingliz wrote:Perhaps but the longer this war goes on, the more Ukraine is fucked - Russia considers it an existential threat, so it's not going to walk away. [...]

No. After only some trickle at the beginning almost the whole world is now aware of the situation and actively supporting Ukraine. Russia cannot win this, the longer it goes the more Russia will bleed. Russia has already no military hardware left for its soldiers.
Russia does not consider this an "existential threat". Putin tries to explain it that way to save his sorry a$$
This is the reason for the annexations of formerly declared "independent" Donetsk and Luhansk by means of some fake referendum, so that an attack on them can be used as an "attack on Russia" itself.
Which is the faked-up reason Putin needs, for full mobilization.
The negotiating table is the only way out.

In this point i agree.
By Wels
Russian media:
Russia considers imposing martial law, banning men of draft age from leaving the country.

"According to Russian media Verstka, Russia is considering imposing martial law “if Ukraine continues to attack" occupied territories that Russia plans to illegally annex."

Lol right. "Referenda" in front of russian gun muzzles, voters including those killed by russians along with the detained, deported and other dead. The possible 10 percent pro-russian will be presented as 95 percent just like in the Krimea "referendum" in 2014.
No one believes that, not China, not North Korea.

"According to the media, the Kremlin might also ban men of draft age from leaving Russia.
The move might be announced ahead of Russian dictator Vladimir Putin’s address to the Federal Assembly which, according to Verstka, is scheduled for Sept. 30."

You can't make these things up :lol:
Last edited by Wels on 24 Sep 2022 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
By Rugoz
JohnRawls wrote:While Rust on weapons is not a good sign, i am pretty sure Russians can find plenty of servicable AKs to give to the troops.

Probably, seems not uncommon though:

JohnRawls wrote:Rust in small numbers on stored weapons is nothing surprising actually and the example given is a bit extreme.

I stored my service rifle at home for 10+ years and never had any rust on it*. It's incompetence.

*I used, cleaned and greased it at least once a year so maybe not a fair comparison.

JohnRawls wrote:No need to underestimate the conscription.

I don't. It will make it a lot harder for Ukraine to reconquer territory I imagine.
Rugoz wrote:Probably, seems not uncommon though:

I stored my service rifle at home for 10+ years and never had any rust on it*. It's incompetence.

*I used, cleaned and greased it at least once a year so maybe not a fair comparison.

I don't. It will make it a lot harder for Ukraine to reconquer territory I imagine.

But if this is the case with the easy to maintain and "used frequent enough" how do you think it is the state of their nuclear capabilities. I would not be surprised of only 20-30% is operational at all and if only a fraction is even capable of accurately reach its target.
Sandzak wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUCeRCozXgY&ab_channel=KLAYCO47

AK-47 is so robust it can even rusty kill

The thing you don't know it is by design. If the bullet does not kill the enemy, the gangrene/tetanus will :lol:

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]