Roe V. Wade to be Overturned - Page 90 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Pants-of-dog wrote:The idea of making rights dependent on referenda seems anti-democratic.

Should we put the rights of Jews or blacks or immigrants to the vote?

Only you could read this as some kind of problem. Your comment is idiotic. You are coming unhinged.

For the adults:

Kansas had already affirmed through its constitution (state supreme court 6-1 ruling) that women had the right to an abortion. The Republicans floated an initiative to take this right away. The people rejected it. Now @Pants-of-dog may believe that democracy is a bad thing or that the voters cannot be trusted to make their own decisions but most of the rest of us disagree with him.

As to his absurd attempt to bring up racism, our constitution already prohibits that. Has for a very long time. Since 1886 in three landmark cases, the SCOTUS has asserted that the 7-8-14th Amendments applied to people "without regard to nationality". So two things POD. Study our constitution and laws before you shoot your mouth off and please do not try to derail this thread with your off-topic nonsense.

Gloating.

I have been saying this since day one of this thread. The answer lies in the states. And you can clearly see here that my assertions are correct and that the remedy lies exactly where it ought to lie. With the people. In this case the people gave their overwhelmingly Republican legislature a big FUCK YOU and a serious warning. Democracy is a great thing.
Maybe.

Such measures could also galvanise a reaction against laws allowing abortion, and any movement that challenges such laws all the way to the SCOTUS can almost certainly succeed.
Pants-of-dog wrote:
Maybe.

Such measures could also galvanise a reaction against laws allowing abortion, and any movement that challenges such laws all the way to the SCOTUS can almost certainly succeed.

I unscientifically keep an eye on mood. Emotions play an outsized role in politics..

Anyway, yesterday, after the Kansas abortion vote, the mood on Morning Joe was just a notch or two below jubilant.

They think women are going to vote in large numbers and hammer Republicans.

Maybe.

But I have to admit, it helped my mood, too.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Maybe.

So you think the SCOTUS would ban abortion? Seems very unlikely.
wat0n wrote:So you think the SCOTUS would ban abortion? Seems very unlikely.

If the legal circumstances presented themselves where their decision could ban it, yes they would.
Rancid wrote:If the legal circumstances presented themselves where their decision could ban it, yes they would.

I could only imagine it if Congress decided to ban it federally. Sounds... Unlikely.
Pants-of-dog wrote:To be clear, the Kansas referendum affirmed that legal access to abortion is supported by the majority of Kansas voters.

DUH :moron:

It did more than that. It, in effect, it prevented the legislature from banning abortion and codified a woman's right to choose. Only you could find that disappointing. Well you and pro-life folks in Kansas.
Pants-of-dog wrote:To be clear, the Kansas referendum affirmed that legal access to abortion is supported by the majority of Kansas voters.

Ah, after reading my post again I understand why you posted this. I will edit - I shouldn't post when I'm still waking up :p
wat0n wrote:So Kansas voters rejected an amendment to the Kansas Constitution to end its current recognition of abortion as a right, 59% to 41%. Kansas is a conservative state, so what would happen if other states held their own referenda on this matter?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/02/us/k ... -vote.html

Current SCOTUS judges represent the most religious and extreme part of the right, along with a bunch of local state assemblymen who say insane shit like "rape babies are a gift from God."

The Kansas vote falls along the 60/40 support/non-support for abortion nationwide.

Rancid wrote:If the legal circumstances presented themselves where their decision could ban it, yes they would.

The court with the lady who is in a Catholic cult, the crying Irish Drunk who choked out a promise to avenge himself on his enemies through liquor scented tears, and the man married to a Qanon nut who was literally texting Trump's inner circle asking, "Is this the storm!?" on 1/6 definitely wouldn't do that. They're all reasonable people.
P0D is correct. While the outcome of this referendum is a reason for rejoicing, referenda themselves are not always democratic.

Unless the rights of minorities are protected, then you don’t have a democracy.
snapdragon wrote:P0D is correct. While the outcome of this referendum is a reason for rejoicing, referenda themselves are not always democratic.

Unless the rights of minorities are protected, then you don’t have a democracy.

That's just nuts. There is nothing more democratic than a referendum.

Typical of the left. Whine in victory. Suck it up. This is as good as it gets.

But I am sure that somewhere a free range, lesbian queer curious, vegan, person of color who identifies and "they" did not get to vote because "they" was ill from accidentally eating a GMO containing bran muffin. Throw out the results. :roll:
wat0n wrote:So you think the SCOTUS would ban abortion? Seems very unlikely.

They literally made that very thing possible in many states, so yes, it seems logical to conclude they would do that.
Pants-of-dog wrote:They literally made that very thing possible in many states, so yes, it seems logical to conclude they would do that.

But not federally. The SCOTUS simply decided to remove itself from the discussion.
Yes, and remove federal protection for abortion at the same time, causing a cascade of anortion bans throughout the country.

It seems logical that they would also overturn any other laws supporting abortion access if said laws were challenged before them.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

They’re called ‘First Nations’ because nation-sta[…]

That is assuming that this college education is a[…]

We shouldn't be trying. I support the mixed econo[…]

So what if @FiveofSwords is slightly biased in […]