Roe V. Wade to be Overturned - Page 48 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

wat0n wrote:@Pants-of-dog I'm simply applying radical views of bodily autonomy to their logical conclusion here. A 37 week old fetus is objectively still inside the womb and no different from a 7 weeks old one in this regard.

You are now establishing a standard: Rationality of means to achieve the goal, in this case, terminating pregnancy. I'm okay with that but you are conceding the pregnant person would face some limitations on her ability to decide how to do this and by extension what kind of treatment she gets. This is logically true even if most are okay with these limitations.

@annatar1914 just to understand your stance, are there any circumstances in which an abortion would be acceptable? For example, if necessary to save the mother's life?

Are we clear that when it to comes to viable unborn children, it is possible to remove the child and thereby respect bodily autonomy while simultaneously respecting the right to life of the child? As long as we can see the truth of that, it is all good, as the kids say.

I hope you also understand why it is important to determine if this is happening in a context where there is enough public health care and medical resources to keep a premature child alive even when the biological parents have renounced any and all obligations.
@Pants-of-dog sure, but keep in mind that you are telling the pregnant woman the only way she'll get to terminate her pregnancy earlier will be by inducing labor. You tell me what that means for her "sacrosanct" bodily autonomy and personal liberty.

And by the way, there are those who'd have no problem with an abortion at the 37th week. For instance, Peter Singer is an Australian philosopher known for supporting infanticide so he'd likely have no problem with that idea.
wat0n wrote:@Pants-of-dog sure, but keep in mind that you are telling the pregnant woman the only way she'll get to terminate her pregnancy earlier will be by inducing labor. You tell me what that means for her "sacrosanct" bodily autonomy and personal liberty.

Yes.

Note that this would be perfectly acceptable for any rational person. The only people who would have a problem with this is your imaginary evil woman cackling away as she kills children in her own womb. I guess her name is Peter Singer?
I just dropped in to say that you two are still arguing past each other.

@Pants-of-dog Your punishment nonsense is getting tedious. I already showed you the error in your ways. It is your strawman argument.

Now @snapdragon Let's go:

How about removing all restrictions against abortion and treating as a public health matter?

Because the people who want to restrict abortion (the majority of Americans) do not see it as a "public health matter".

Nothing much would change, other than women and girls would be able to have their pregnancies terminated safely by a competent practitioner.

Which has already been shown to be an unpopular and politically unsupportable option in many states.

I don’t believe it’s my business to approve of this or that situation. If the woman has decided she doesn’t want her pregnancy to end in a live birth, then that’s her business and not the business of anyone else other than her doctors and family, that’s if she chooses to involve her family in her decision.

Your opinion is noted. It is shared by me and many other people. It is not the majority opinion in may states and so it does not translate into law.
Years ago I used to watch a programme on telly about doctors on training. Two would be surgeons volunteered to observe a late term abortion carried out. We, the viewers, didn't see the abortion, but we could see the faces of the junior doctors who were obviously deeply distressed. As he worked, the surgeon kept up a gentle conversation. He explained his patient was a 12 year old girl who had been made pregnant by her 19 ye

Manipulative fantasy fiction. It is possible to go to any length to construct some almost nonexistant set of circumstances to try to justify what was an unnecessary killing of a viable person.

So what?

Bullshit.

Good for you. I would have been disgusted that they did not just do a c-section and place the baby for adoption.

I will call a wambulance. No need for the baby to die to solve this problem.

It is a virtually never necessary procedure and ghastly to say the least. It is no wonder that you will not see many doctors who will even do it. There is always some fool.... It is so unnecessary and so horrible that even in lala land Canada, a physician cannot be compelled to commit the murder.

Because we are not much into carving up living human beings. We leave that for the liberals.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes.

Note that this would be perfectly acceptable for any rational person. The only people who would have a problem with this is your imaginary evil woman cackling away as she kills children in her own womb. I guess her name is Peter Singer?

Or a female follower of his. What makes you believe people like this can't possibly exist? :eh:

Good to see you'd at least limit choice in this case. I agree with your position, but the implication then is that there are at least some cases where we can become concerned about fetuses, even for very strict pro-choice guys.
Drlee wrote:I just dropped in to say that you two are still arguing past each other.

@Pants-of-dog Your punishment nonsense is getting tedious. I already showed you the error in your ways. It is your strawman argument.

Not that I can tell.

Please link to where you refuted my claim. Thanks.

wat0n wrote:Or a female follower of his. What makes you believe people like this can't possibly exist? :eh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure. They exist.

And they exist in such huge numbers that the hospitals would be full of laughing murderous sluts if we made abortion legal at any time during pregnancy.

lol.

Good to see you'd at least limit choice in this case. I agree with your position, but the implication then is that there are at least some cases where we can become concerned about fetuses, even for very strict pro-choice guys.

I have always maintained that unborn children have the same rights as everyone else. I also have maintained that there should be state funded medical care for all people involved during the pregnancy.

I also understand that I am not a medical professional nor a pregnant person, but that it is highly unlikely that all the medical professionals as well as the pregnant person will make irrational and dangerous choices.

Therefore, it has always been my position that viable unborn children can and should be removed from the pregnant person alive in this scenario. In fact, there are probably examples of me making this exact clarification in other abortion threads.

But here is the important thing: this is between the pregnant person and their doctor, It is not up to me. It is not a limitation I agree to. It is not something you can impose. It is not a law. It is simply what I support and what I think is the logical and best solution in the current context.
wat0n wrote:Clearly you didn't read or understand the article nor the paper. The paper mentions explicitly that the proximate cause of death was not the direct or immediate cause of death.

No. It is you that do not understand the paper.

The context of an assault leading towards a severe medical state that eventually culminates in death hours/days/weeks/months later is distinctly different than the context of an assault leading towards you having a decision in the future that causes you harm.
How many rapists are you aware that have been convicted of murder after their victims commit suicide weeks/months later? You don't think this happens?
We don't have a criminal system based on the "butterfly effect" in which you are responsible for every ripple that can be linked to an event that you started. If we had such system, we all belong in jail. You don't go to jail for selling alcohol to someone that will later drink and drive and kill someone, you don't go to jail for selling a cooking book that a serial killer will later use to cook and serve the flesh of his victims.
What you are suggesting is utter bullcrap.

If you died from complications arising from the back surgery, yes, I'd be charged for homicide as well. This much is clear.

Read your own source bro. They even explain it:

But suppose the driver must go to physical therapy to recover from the back injury I caused. While at the therapist’s office, the driver sits in a chair that collapses, causing him to fall to the ground and break his arm.

Can he sue me for damages related to his arm injury?

The driver would argue that “but for” the back injury he suffered at my hands, he wouldn’t have needed to go to physical therapy and thus wouldn’t have sat in the defective chair. However, this argument is unlikely to be successful because the link between my negligent driving and the collapsing chair is too remote to hold me responsible for the driver’s broken arm.

Also from your article:
However, certification by a medical examiner that the death is a homicide isn’t the same as the determination by a judge or jury that the accused is guilty of a homicide.

and:
For example, in 1966, William J. Barnes shot a Philadelphia police officer, Walter T. Barclay Jr., leaving him paralyzed. Barnes served 20 years in prison for the crime. In 2007, Barclay died from a bladder infection, a condition from which paralyzed individuals commonly suffer.

The district attorney pursued murder charges against Barnes, arguing that he was to blame for the infection that ultimately killed Barclay. But the jury acquitted Barnes. The prosecution had failed to prove that there was an unbroken connection between Barnes’ shooting of Barclay in 1966 and his death 41 years later because Barclay had reinjured his spine several times since the shooting, and hadn’t gotten adequate medical care.

There is no way you can justify the killing of a fetus (person) and blame this "murder" on the rapist and cite those as precedent, a jury would laugh at you and throw the woman and doctor in jail for the murder of the infant.

This much is clear.

Quite the opposite. If anything you supplied evidence against your case.
Read your sources at least.

And we will have to keep going through it, because as you said it is materially possible to kill the fetus in utero and then deliver the stillborn. Doing so would still be an abortion.

But few doctors would do it. Why?

Because abortion is a pregnancy termination procedure. People are not out to kill fetuses. Why so obtuse?

You just mentioned one way in which you'd be effectively performing an abortion. Kill the fetus in utero, then dispose of it as desired.

Again, what is your point? Where are you going with this? Can you get there sometime this week?

I can taste the salt here.

Some tumors can falsely give salty sensations, you should have that checked.

Plenty would not say a 20 weeks old fetus is viable.

I don't think anyone would claim that at this point in time 20w is viable. A quick search in the webz reveals the record holder is 21w +1 day, a full 8 days later and more importantly, a record holder is not the measuring stick, we don't say humans live 116 years because there was 1 woman that lasted that long, in reality the expectation is significantly lower.

It's not that complicated.

I agree. You are the one that is trying to make this significantly more complicated by trying to argue rapists being the reason for abortions, allowing pregnant women to commit murder if they are raped and to try to abort term pregnancies, stab babies, etc.

You're saying it is reasonable to take into account the interest in keeping the 37 weeks old fetus alive in the process of terminating the pregnancy.

It has never been my position otherwise.

No doctor would attempt to deliver a normal 37 weeks old fetus if doing so would kill the mother, unless she specifically consented to it.

I don't think you have a firm grasp on the medicine on this one. Deliver the baby is what is needed to save the mother in just about any complications in pregnancy.
HELLP Syndrome -> Deliver the baby
Eclampsia/Pre-eclampsia -> Deliver the baby
Uterine rupture -> Surgery/Deliver the baby.
At this point in the gestational state, a "get the fetus out of me" effectively translate into "deliver the baby".

If it's materially possible, no, it doesn't lose its meaning. For the mother it also has practical meaning as that means she at the very least is responsible for putting the baby for adoption.

Alright, I'll bite. What the statistic say about 37w abortions. How many of those occurred in the last year?

None, thankfully. But a serious request to do so by a competent pregnant woman would be denied if not medically justified. Am I correct here?

I cannot speak for all doctors. It is possible some crazy dude, after all there have been cases of gastroenterologists doing colonoscopies and endoscopies with equipment that was just "lightly cleaned" rather than properly sterilized. :lol: You can always find an unscrupulous doc that would do sloppy medicine.
I don't even know how a conversation with a 37w old woman would go about. Hey doc, I spent 37w incubating this fetus but now I want to abort it doc: Well, you don't have to, dead or not, you will push him/her out anyway as if it was alive because it has to come out anyways so you might as well have him/her alive and you can keep it if you want or give for adoption. Woman: You don't get it, I really really want a dead fetus.... :knife: :?: This is where "page psychiatry right away".
Maybe there are a couple of crazy people in the world like that, we don't need to make federal laws to cater to that handful of lunatics.

You're getting it backwards. Experts provide the guidelines, courts will follow them.

No. Experts provide and follow the guidelines. When I prescribe you BP medications to keep your BP below a set target, I am following guidelines that were put forth by other experts. I am not a court or a judge, I am a fellow medical practitioner, an expert in my field.

I simply refer to the third proposal for operationalizing "fetal viability".

Good luck with that.

They are under a legal obligation to respect expert opinion, even more so in these type of cases.

Sure. ;)

So she'd not get what she wants, for obvious reasons.

This is not about getting anything/everything you want. You cannot force a doctor to surgically remove your head from your body and/or to put 1kg ingots of gold inside your uterus. The principle of body autonomy is not to give you some sort of coercive power over others to do whatever the fock you want but rather to prevent others to place intrusive restrictions/demands/abuse on your body.
The fact of the matter is, as a society we respect body autonomy to a very high degree. To the point, even dead people get body autonomy despite not being "person" anymore. If I declined being a organ donor and I die, even though I am no longer alive, even though I am no longer a "person" my wishes in this society would be respected. How crazy is that a dead person would have more rights about his/her own body than a pregnant woman? You don't think my dead body's organs would save lives? Likely even more than 1. Yet we protect this autonomy, we don't force people to donate blood, bone marrow, kidneys, livers, etc even though we could save thousands of lives every year, perhaps even millions.

It doesn't matter if it's a coincidence or not. What matters is what you're doing. If it looks like a duck...

Of course, it matters if it is a coincidence. If I note that the sun comes out every morning because there is a powerful god with a charriot in the heavens dragging the sun around every morning, I would coincidentally agree that the sun comes every morning, that does not mean I successfully described the mechanism by which the sun appears every morning. The fact that my assessments can from time to time correlate with yours, does not mean we have the same system and/or agree on the same premises. For instance, I need not to consider a fetus a person as it is irrelevant in cases of abortion. If it looks like a duck sometimes, it does not mean it is always a duck.

No, it's not. Suicide is definitely a problem here.

It is quite irrelevant indeed. If not just make the case for it and I'll show you how irrelevant it is.
XogGyux wrote:No. It is you that do not understand the paper.

The context of an assault leading towards a severe medical state that eventually culminates in death hours/days/weeks/months later is distinctly different than the context of an assault leading towards you having a decision in the future that causes you harm.
How many rapists are you aware that have been convicted of murder after their victims commit suicide weeks/months later? You don't think this happens?
We don't have a criminal system based on the "butterfly effect" in which you are responsible for every ripple that can be linked to an event that you started. If we had such system, we all belong in jail. You don't go to jail for selling alcohol to someone that will later drink and drive and kill someone, you don't go to jail for selling a cooking book that a serial killer will later use to cook and serve the flesh of his victims.
What you are suggesting is utter bullcrap.

...But we do have a legal system where pregnancy is seen as a form of damages in the context of rape. And yes, the rapist would also be civilly liable for the abortion under tort law (even if the victim decided to get one, it wasn't really impossible for her not to), on top of the extra criminal penalty.

XogGyux wrote:Read your own source bro. They even explain it:

Falls into the "negligence" I mentioned earlier. It's the hospital's responsibility to maintain its hardware.

XogGyux wrote:Also from your article:

Certainly not, for example the another autopsy may determine the death wasn't a result of the injury at hand.

XogGyux wrote:and:

...Because this guy had never treated his problems to begin with.

XogGyux wrote:There is no way you can justify the killing of a fetus (person) and blame this "murder" on the rapist and cite those as precedent, a jury would laugh at you and throw the woman and doctor in jail for the murder of the infant.

Maybe. I'd find it more likely that they'd claim the mental state of the woman made it more likely she'd kill herself had the pregnancy continued.

Note this defense would still be compatible with treating the abortion as an aggravation, and punishing the rapist harsher.

XogGyux wrote:Quite the opposite. If anything you supplied evidence against your case.
Read your sources at least.

I did. You're still wrong about the car crash scenario you proposed yourself. Clearly, I'd go to jail if you died during the surgery.

XogGyux wrote:Because abortion is a pregnancy termination procedure. People are not out to kill fetuses. Why so obtuse?

Inducing labor is also a pregnancy termination procedure. Your point?

XogGyux wrote:Some tumors can falsely give salty sensations, you should have that checked.

Are you sure you aren't the one being salty here?

XogGyux wrote:I don't think anyone would claim that at this point in time 20w is viable. A quick search in the webz reveals the record holder is 21w +1 day, a full 8 days later and more importantly, a record holder is not the measuring stick, we don't say humans live 116 years because there was 1 woman that lasted that long, in reality the expectation is significantly lower.

So why did you choose that specific cutoff? Seriously :roll:

XogGyux wrote:I agree. You are the one that is trying to make this significantly more complicated by trying to argue rapists being the reason for abortions, allowing pregnant women to commit murder if they are raped and to try to abort term pregnancies, stab babies, etc.

I'm simply showing absolutes don't work here. Extreme cases do just that.

XogGyux wrote:I don't think you have a firm grasp on the medicine on this one. Deliver the baby is what is needed to save the mother in just about any complications in pregnancy.
HELLP Syndrome -> Deliver the baby
Eclampsia/Pre-eclampsia -> Deliver the baby
Uterine rupture -> Surgery/Deliver the baby.
At this point in the gestational state, a "get the fetus out of me" effectively translate into "deliver the baby".

Yes, because it'd be unethical to unnecessarily kill the fetus. That's a policy, it doesn't just "happen".

Mind you, in countries where abortion is totally banned (even to save the mother's life) doctors will still perform an abortion if necessary to save a pregnant woman. They know that, should she die, they'll get sued for malpractice.

XogGyux wrote:Alright, I'll bite. What the statistic say about 37w abortions. How many of those occurred in the last year?

Not about frequency, just possibility. I'm guessing it doesn't happen, or that's what I'd hope.

XogGyux wrote:I cannot speak for all doctors. It is possible some crazy dude, after all there have been cases of gastroenterologists doing colonoscopies and endoscopies with equipment that was just "lightly cleaned" rather than properly sterilized. :lol: You can always find an unscrupulous doc that would do sloppy medicine.
I don't even know how a conversation with a 37w old woman would go about. Hey doc, I spent 37w incubating this fetus but now I want to abort it doc: Well, you don't have to, dead or not, you will push him/her out anyway as if it was alive because it has to come out anyways so you might as well have him/her alive and you can keep it if you want or give for adoption. Woman: You don't get it, I really really want a dead fetus.... :knife: :?: This is where "page psychiatry right away".
Maybe there are a couple of crazy people in the world like that, we don't need to make federal laws to cater to that handful of lunatics.

XogGyux wrote:This is not about getting anything/everything you want. You cannot force a doctor to surgically remove your head from your body and/or to put 1kg ingots of gold inside your uterus. The principle of body autonomy is not to give you some sort of coercive power over others to do whatever the fock you want but rather to prevent others to place intrusive restrictions/demands/abuse on your body.
The fact of the matter is, as a society we respect body autonomy to a very high degree. To the point, even dead people get body autonomy despite not being "person" anymore. If I declined being a organ donor and I die, even though I am no longer alive, even though I am no longer a "person" my wishes in this society would be respected. How crazy is that a dead person would have more rights about his/her own body than a pregnant woman? You don't think my dead body's organs would save lives? Likely even more than 1. Yet we protect this autonomy, we don't force people to donate blood, bone marrow, kidneys, livers, etc even though we could save thousands of lives every year, perhaps even millions.

Pants-of-dog wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure. They exist.

And they exist in such huge numbers that the hospitals would be full of laughing murderous sluts if we made abortion legal at any time during pregnancy.

lol.

It's the other way around actually @XogGyux. It's precisely because those lunatics exist that the law can't just take an absolutist approach.

That's (for example) why abortion wasn't ruled to be an "absolute right" in Roe v Wade. It clearly shouldn't be. There are clear situations where limiting abortion can be not just legitimate but common sense.

In this case, with a normal doc, this woman would indeed be sent to a psychiatrist. But if she wasn't legally insane, she'd just be told by this normal doc this is against the law and unethical. Period.

Honestly, we aren't even in disagreement anymore here. Even you are saying "no, in this case your bodily autonomy doesn't allow you to do whatever the fuck you want". And if a doctor performed the abortion anyway, I'm sure it would be litigated.

Also @XogGyux, you're misunderstanding something else about the law of abortion. If as a doc you find it unethical, you can object and refer the woman to another doctor as long as it doesn't place the woman at an immediate risk of death or serious harm. That's completely legal and protected by Roe. Ask your lawyer if you want.

XogGyux wrote:No. Experts provide and follow the guidelines. When I prescribe you BP medications to keep your BP below a set target, I am following guidelines that were put forth by other experts. I am not a court or a judge, I am a fellow medical practitioner, an expert in my field.

And judges have to follow those guidelines. A witness will show up, say "this are our guidelines" and that's going to be it.

XogGyux wrote:Sure. ;)

Yes, I'm sure. Go on and see what happens should a judge try to blatantly ignore precedent here.

The woman and the doc would just appeal, and this judge would be disciplined.

XogGyux wrote:Of course, it matters if it is a coincidence. If I note that the sun comes out every morning because there is a powerful god with a charriot in the heavens dragging the sun around every morning, I would coincidentally agree that the sun comes every morning, that does not mean I successfully described the mechanism by which the sun appears every morning. The fact that my assessments can from time to time correlate with yours, does not mean we have the same system and/or agree on the same premises. For instance, I need not to consider a fetus a person as it is irrelevant in cases of abortion. If it looks like a duck sometimes, it does not mean it is always a duck.

I beg to disagree here. The whole point of being or not a person is to be entitled to some rights and having some duties or not. It's why we care.

Indeed, in the Middle Ages for example you could be literally "unpersoned" (civil death) and if it happened it meant you were fair game for anything. Like getting killed, for example.

XogGyux wrote:It is quite irrelevant indeed. If not just make the case for it and I'll show you how irrelevant it is.

What case is it there to make? Clearly the rape generated a mental health issue (often PTSD and/or depression) on the victim. Why else do you think they'd try to kill themselves?

Pants-of-dog wrote:I have always maintained that unborn children have the same rights as everyone else. I also have maintained that there should be state funded medical care for all people involved during the pregnancy.

I also understand that I am not a medical professional nor a pregnant person, but that it is highly unlikely that all the medical professionals as well as the pregnant person will make irrational and dangerous choices.

Therefore, it has always been my position that viable unborn children can and should be removed from the pregnant person alive in this scenario. In fact, there are probably examples of me making this exact clarification in other abortion threads.

No fundamental disagreement here.

Pants-of-dog wrote:But here is the important thing: this is between the pregnant person and their doctor, It is not up to me. It is not a limitation I agree to. It is not something you can impose. It is not a law. It is simply what I support and what I think is the logical and best solution in the current context.

Here's where I disagree. It's perfectly possible to impose this common sense limitation by law.

Why do you think we shouldn't, in this specific case?

For starters, it's not such a grave limitation on the woman's bodily autonomy. As you said, the key goal (ending the pregnancy) would still be fulfilled. So that alone can't be the reason.

You could say then that she, and anyone, has the absolute right to decide her own treatment in any shape or form, but I also disagree. Consider a patient with a very contagious disease: This patient wouldn't just be able to demand to be treated in a regular hospital wing instead of a special wing for his case (even if he'd be isolated and he doesn't want to be lonely) because he's being moved to prevent others from catching it. Not doing so would endanger other patients and thus he'd have no choice here. Of course the vast majority of people would understand this and so it would almost always be just accepted, but if someone did not his wishes would be ignored (even if he sought a lawyer and brought it to court) and it would be completely reasonable and ethical to do so.

So why would you refuse to interfere in this case?
Pants-of-dog wrote:@wat0n

No, taking your absolutely ridiculous scenario and using that to justify all sorts of bans on other abortions is not common sense or rational or moral.

Not at all. But it does mean regulating abortion is up for discussion because there's no absolute right to get one.

You can't just scream "bodily autonomy!!!!one!" and be done with it. At least you need to provide reasons. Same goes to the "fetuses are persons" crowd by the way, they aren't persons under the Constitution (even Alito didn't say so) so if they want to restrict or even ban abortion they have to make their case, they can't just appeal to regular homicide laws.

That's it, really.
Same goes to the "fetuses are persons" crowd by the way, they aren't persons under the Constitution (even Alito didn't say so) so if they want to restrict or even ban abortion they have to make their case, they can't just appeal to regular homicide laws.

If by "they" you mean the state governments (and even presumably localities) they need only pass laws. Then, they answer to voters only. All this talk of "body integrity" or when a fetus becomes a child and the like is irrelevant.

It is as simple as that.
Drlee wrote:If by "they" you mean the state governments (and even presumably localities) they need only pass laws. Then, they answer to voters only. All this talk of "body integrity" or when a fetus becomes a child and the like is irrelevant.

It is as simple as that.

Exactly, they have to pass specific laws banning abortion.

I mean, just think about it for a second. If fetuses were people under the law, why would we need special laws to regulate abortion? We'd just consider it homicide, possibly murder, and those practicing abortions and having them would be tried accordingly.

Of course then the question is if fetuses should be people under the law. That's a different matter.
wat0n wrote:Not at all. But it does mean regulating abortion is up for discussion because there's no absolute right to get one.

You can't just scream "bodily autonomy!!!" and be done with it. At least you need to provide reasons. Same goes to the "fetuses are persons" crowd by the way, they aren't persons under the Constitution (even Alito didn't say so) so if they want to restrict or even ban abortion they have to make their case, they can't just appeal to regular homicide laws.

That's it, really.

Yes, you need to provide reasons.

And chuckling bloodthirsty mavens forcing doctors to kill children in the last two weeks is not a good reason to ban abortions in general.
@Pants-of-dog I did not speak about "banning abortions in general". But, it would mean there would be a stage where abortion would cease to be an option. Instead, the pregnant woman would be told she can induce birth and then she'll have to figure out what happens to the baby next.

Suddenly it starts looking like the viability cutoff most states have, just with a more strict definition of "viable".
wat0n wrote:@Pants-of-dog I did not speak about "banning abortions in general". But, it would mean there would be a stage where abortion would cease to be an option. Instead, the pregnant woman would be told she can induce birth and then she'll have to figure out what happens to the baby next.

Suddenly it starts looking like the viability cutoff most states have, just with a more strict definition of "viable".

If you wish to define abortion as including the death of the fetus as well as the termination of pregnancy, then yes.

But a termination of pregnancy can still be done at amy date.
wat0n wrote:I wouldn't define "abortion" differently. We don't say inducing labor is abortion after all, even if both end the pregnancy.

Sure.

As long as it is clear that the pregnant person can have the unborn child removed at any stage of the pregnancy.
@Pants-of-dog

I can understand that. I'm not sure if I agree, since I'm not sure about how should the fetus be labeled. But that's at least more reasonable than treating abortion as absolute.

One more question (possibly last, since this discussion seems to be running its course): Would you then say the Roe v Wade + Casey principle currently in place is reasonable? States can't ban abortion before viability, states can do so after since there's an alternative way to end pregnancy (inducing labor).

We can discuss how to operationalize "viability" later, since there are different valid standards to do so. Just curious if you agree with that broad principle.
As long as it is clear that the pregnant person can have the unborn child removed at any stage of the pregnancy.

@Pants-of-dog

Are you laboring under the assumption that some kind of negotiation is going on here in the USA? Because it is not.

The majority of Americans oppose late term abortion.

Many states go much further than that and legally ban abortions pretty much in general.

There is no such thing under US law as "bodily integrity".

The people in every state have recourse to their elected officials to remedy this problem, if indeed one thinks it is a problem. Most people in the states with strict abortion prohibitions do not think these laws are a problem at all.

This is a political issue. It is not about biology, punishment or mythical rights no matter how much you would like to make it about one or more of them.

I really do @Pants-of-dog , understand your emotional response to this law. There is plenty of emotion on both sides. Emotion is pretty much what it is all about.
wat0n wrote:@Pants-of-dog

I can understand that. I'm not sure if I agree, since I'm not sure about how should the fetus be labeled. But that's at least more reasonable than treating abortion as absolute.

One more question (possibly last, since this discussion seems to be running its course): Would you then say the Roe v Wade + Casey principle currently in place is reasonable? States can't ban abortion before viability, states can do so after since there's an alternative way to end pregnancy (inducing labor).

We can discuss how to operationalize "viability" later, since there are different valid standards to do so. Just curious if you agree with that broad principle.

No, the current legal situation for pregnant people in the USA is unacceptable from an egalitarian point of view.

Mind you, I think that the USA needs radical change even if we completely ignore my socialist policies and stay within the realm of mainstream liberal capitalism.

Consult the most recent post by @Drlee for reasons why.
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]