Gunman kills 19 children in Texas school shooting - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

wat0n wrote:Let's start with having an entrance gate and needing to buzz in.

Again, pretty standard measures, not bunker-tier :|

And do you think that is going to deter a deranged person? :hmm: You’re going to have to lock kids in.
wat0n wrote:It's up to the Texan voters. Maybe public demands to that effect will eventually change after this, maybe a state law won't even be necessary and parents will demand these type of measures from school districts.

Yes, but Texan voters are mostly a bunch of mouth breathing knuckle dragging morons. Many which are parents.

wat0n wrote:I don't know if mental health or societal problems are all that worse nowadays than in the 1980s for instance, but either way it seems unlikely we'll figure this out anytime soon either.

This is speculation:

Societal problems might not be worse, but they are different, and thus will manifest different behaviors in people. We know that since the raise of the internet, there is a growing epidemic of loneliness, especially among young men. This loneliness can lead to a general resentment towards the world. Some small percentage of these people, will lash out at the world one way or another. Mix this up with some guns....
Rancid wrote:We know that since the raise of the internet, there is a growing epidemic of loneliness, especially among young men. This loneliness can lead to a general resentment towards the world.

As a matter of fact, one is speaking to you.

Yet I still think there are much more meaningful things than to shoot everybody up, except maybe if the said chamber is filled with dictators, oppressors and / or homicidal maniacs.
ness31 wrote:And do you think that is going to deter a deranged person? :hmm: You’re going to have to lock kids in.

At least stopping or delaying his entry for long enough to allow time for cops to arrive would help, a lot, if a deranged person isn't deterred.

It seems the school had security but he shot one of them, a cop I think, and got in. Why shouldn't there be extra physical obstacles to prevent this type of situation, and many others, from occurring? :?:

Rancid wrote:Yes, but Texan voters are mostly a bunch of mouth breathing knuckle dragging morons. Many which are parents.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think there are limits to this type of argument. Let's see if more districts just decide to ramp-up measures.

Rancid wrote:This is speculation:

Societal problems might not be worse, but they are different, and thus will manifest different behaviors in people. We know that since the raise of the internet, there is a growing epidemic of loneliness, especially among young men. This loneliness can lead to a general resentment towards the world. Some small percentage of these people, will lash out at the world one way or another. Mix this up with some guns....

It's possible indeed. But I don't know, honestly. Yet we need to make decisions anyway...
At least stopping or delaying his entry for long enough to allow time for cops to arrive would help, a lot, if a deranged person isn't deterred.

It seems the school had security but he shot one of them, a cop I think, and got in. Why shouldn't there be extra physical obstacles to prevent this type of situation, and many others, from occurring? :?:

omg, the school had security? A cop? And this still happened? :knife:
wat0n wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but I think there are limits to this type of argument. Let's see if more districts just decide to ramp-up measures.

I think stupidity and retardedness in conservative Texas has no bounds. They will always dig deeper than the bottom.
ness31 wrote:omg, the school had security? A cop? And this still happened? :knife:

Yes, it seems the cop tried to engage but this guy shot first.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-element ... d=84940951

The suspect was immediately engaged outside the building as he approached the school by a Uvalde Independent School District police officer, who was shot by the suspect, the sources said.

That's why physical obstacles, as an added measure, are necessary.
wat0n wrote:It seems the school had security but he shot one of them, a cop I think, and got in.

Having a police stationing at the entrance is already rather heavy security to me.

If that can be breached then I suppose it's a bit pointless to discuss how the security could be further enhanced.
Patrickov wrote:Having a police stationing at the entrance is already rather heavy security to me.

If that can be breached then I suppose it's a bit pointless to discuss how the security could be further enhanced.

How about a large gate this gunman would need to jump or open to get in? Anything to at least delay him would have helped.
wat0n wrote:Yes, it seems the cop tried to engage but this guy shot first.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-element ... d=84940951

That's why physical obstacles, as an added measure, are necessary.

I don’t really know what to say :eek:

I’d actually prefer a discrete fortress to an armed guard at a school. What was the reasoning behind having an armed guard? Was it to keep the gates open so they didn’t have to create a physical barricade? That’s a bit naive in a society armed to the teeth :hmm:
ness31 wrote:I don’t really know what to say :eek:

I’d actually prefer a discrete fortress to an armed guard at a school. What was the reasoning behind having an armed guard? Was it to keep the gates open so they didn’t have to create a physical barricade? That’s a bit naive in a society armed to the teeth :hmm:

I could understand the reasoning for a permanent police presence more if there was a closed gate to be guarded. But it clearly wasn't closed as this guy was able to get in immediately after shooting the cop.

Like, he showed up at around 11:30 and was inside the building by 11:32.
wat0n wrote:I could understand the reasoning for a permanent police presence more if there was a closed gate to be guarded. But it clearly wasn't closed as this guy was able to get in immediately after shooting the cop.

Most school districts have a police force, believe it or not. We have an Austin Independent School district police department. No joke. Here's their website:
https://www.austinisd.org/police

That said, there aren't many of them, so it's not like each school has a cop present.

My old high school (in Florida) had a permanent cop on site. However, that was due to gang/thug/drug issues, not active shooters.
wat0n wrote:I could understand the reasoning for a permanent police presence more if there was a closed gate to be guarded. But it clearly wasn't closed as this guy was able to get in immediately after shooting the cop.

Like, he showed up at around 11:30 and was inside the building by 11:32.

No. Americans are trying to protect the illusion of a bygone era, where gates were left open and schools were a respected “safe space” . They thought they could cheat; not put in the hard work of building a good society and just plonk an armed guard at a school gate.

What a tragedy.
wat0n wrote:I don't understand something. Can someone just enter an elementary school one has no relation to at all without any limits? :?:

I mean, I don't think I can enter the City Hall (armed or not) past the wing opened to the public without a permit. Why should it be any different for schools?

Basically, yes they can.

I don't know how it is in big cities in the US.

Other countries I've stayed in (and I was in the city) had gates in front of the schools, and people couldn't just walk in, but in the US, you pretty much can, at least in the small towns I know.

I think some schools might (maybe as a recent thing) have a button you have to push and they buzz you in, but from what I've seen, you can basically waltz in at most places.
ness31 wrote:No. Americans are trying to protect the illusion of a bygone era, where gates were left open and schools were a respected “safe space” . They thought they could cheat; not put in the hard work of building a good society and just plonk an armed guard at a school gate.

What a tragedy.

One that possibly didn't even exist, really.

Are schools so easily accessible for anyone Down Under? Or they are actually closed to strangers? :?:

I don't know, I just don't think it would be so easy to enter a school in Europe, at least Continental Europe. Maybe it's an Anglo thing?

Crantag wrote:Basically, yes they can.

I don't know how it is in big cities in the US.

Other countries I've stayed in (and I was in the city) had gates in front of the schools, and people couldn't just walk in, but in the US, you pretty much can, at least in the small towns I know.

I think some schools might (maybe as a recent thing) have a button you have to push and they buzz you in, but from what I've seen, you can basically waltz in at most places.

I'm from South America and where I come from even the poorest schools or those in the most remote rural districts will be closed to strangers, public or not.

The other day I actually walked past by an elementary school a block or so away from where I live, in Chicago, and I saw a sign in the back entrance that read "Please do not enter school grounds if you don't have any business here. Keep our children safe". The very short gate (clearly meant so kids won't get out) was half-open, although it was on a weekend so I didn't see anyone inside.

I was like:

wat0n wrote:The other day I actually walked past by an elementary school a block or so away from where I live, in Chicago, and I saw a sign in the back entrance that read "Please do not enter school grounds if you don't have any business here. Keep our children safe".

You might have just hit the nail on the head.

We don't need gates, just signs.

That one sign you saw has probably deterred a shooting or two, we can probably gander.

I can't see a would-be mass shooter disobeying a sign like that.

One that possibly didn't even exist, really.

Are schools so easily accessible for anyone Down Under? Or they are actually closed to strangers? :?:

I don't know, I just don't think it would be so easy to enter a school in Europe, at least Continental Europe. Maybe it's an Anglo thing?

I don’t actually know if I’m being honest. I can’t imagine it being very hard to get in though. Especially during the chaos of pick ups and drop offs :hmm:
wat0n wrote:@Rancid

Yeah, they do. And admittedly, at least here in Chicago, it's necessary to have cops inside or at least very close to schools that have to deal with e.g. gang issues.

But @wat0n schools in the USA are the epitome of great education, safety, and parent involvement. It is all about well-educated kids regardless of how rich your hood is or how much taxes your parents pay to the school district. The USA believes in equality and justice for all.

Ave Maria Chico...if you don't get how horrible that system is because it is based on what zip code you reside in? You won't get it ever.

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

@wat0n Your obsession with sexual violence is[…]

Since you keep insisting on pretending that the I[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]