Juneteenth made an official holiday in the US: What is your opinion on the matter? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

I'm in favour of a national holiday to celebrate the end of state-sanctioned race-based slavery. Whilst this commemorates an historical event I hope the day will be used to spread awareness of modern day slavery, other forms of racial oppression and to sell consumer goods with gay flags and black fists on the packaging.

I don't see the point of bickering about the date. Dismantling slavery takes more than a day so what date would you choose? Each state could celebrate it individually if you'd prefer but then it wouldn't be a national holiday. Cambodians have been celebrating the fall of the Khmer Rogue to Vietnamese forces since 1980, which was one year after the Vietnamese reached Phnom Penh, even though the KR held territory and Cambodia's seat at the UN until 1993.

If people can celebrate history whilst living through it then we should be able to figure it out centuries later.
BlutoSays wrote:For once we agree. Let's get this thing back on topic.

-------------

Yes, actually NOT made up. Courtesy of KFC Trinidad...

--------------

Walmart is pulling its ice cream commemorating Juneteenth after criticism and backlash on social media.

The ice cream, consisting of a swirl of red velvet and cheesecake flavors, has a label that reads, “Share and celebrate African-American culture, emancipation and enduring hope.”

Many on social media have called out Walmart for using Juneteenth as a marketing scheme.

“Juneteenth holiday marks a celebration of freedom and independence,” Walmart said in a statement to FOX Television Stations. “However, we received feedback that a few items caused concern for some of our customers and we sincerely apologize. We are reviewing our assortment and will remove items as appropriate.”

Among those who have called attention to the ice cream is Alabama-raised Roy Wood Jr.

https://www.al.com/life/2022/05/walmart ... ogize.html

Congratulations on making one of the most racist posts I've ever seen on this forum, and I've seen quite a few.
Saeko wrote:Congratulations on making one of the most racist posts I've ever seen on this forum, and I've seen quite a few.

Racism (q.v.) is in use by 1928, originally in the context of fascist theories, and common from 1936.
“Anytime anyone wants to dismiss Roosevelt as a racist, they need to be able to show pretty considerable ...''
"thought African Americans to be inferior to white citizens."
AFAIK wrote:I'm in favour of a national holiday to celebrate the end of state-sanctioned race-based slavery. Whilst this commemorates an historical event I hope the day will be used to spread awareness of modern day slavery, other forms of racial oppression and to sell consumer goods with gay flags and black fists on the packaging.

I don't see the point of bickering about the date. Dismantling slavery takes more than a day so what date would you choose? Each state could celebrate it individually if you'd prefer but then it wouldn't be a national holiday. Cambodians have been celebrating the fall of the Khmer Rogue to Vietnamese forces since 1980, which was one year after the Vietnamese reached Phnom Penh, even though the KR held territory and Cambodia's seat at the UN until 1993.

If people can celebrate history whilst living through it then we should be able to figure it out centuries later.

State-sanctioned race-based slavery? No, that's going on today.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=182260
AFAIK wrote:I'm in favour of a national holiday to celebrate the end of state-sanctioned race-based slavery. Whilst this commemorates an historical event I hope the day will be used to spread awareness of modern day slavery, other forms of racial oppression and to sell consumer goods with gay flags and black fists on the packaging.

@Mike12 is just posting Youtube videos/throwing shit at the wall, and hoping something sticks. It's dumbassery.

@BlutoSays Government racist? Please post a source(not a dumbass video) that actually supports your idiotic statement. You're such a victim!!! :roll:
It is certainly reasonable for a nation to declare holidays to mark major milestones in its history. The end of slavery is certainly one. Granting the vote to women is another. Independence day is yet another, as is a day to mark the service of those who fought in the nation's wars.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]