PSA: If there's a nuclear attack... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

get inside, go to the basement, crouch down, keep checking your internet, don't panic and keep wearing a mask and wait to assume one million degrees (celsius, fahrenheit, kelvin or WGAF).

This has been a message from New York City Emergency Management because... The More You Know (queue flying starburst)

When I was 16 or 17 (it was about a million years ago), I read Herman Kahn's On Thermonuclear War.

Nukes have more ways to kill you than you know how to die.

Which is the sole reason there has never been a nuclear war, you know, with guys throwing thousands of nukes at each other. Would you do it, knowing your country would be basically dead manana?

The government used to do war simulations. People almost always did everything they could to stop it. The stress was so high one guy died from a heart attack in the middle of it.

You can see that in the history, as well.

Anyway, you know how nuke bomb shelters were popular back then. They didn't work. There were a bunch of reasons why, but to live through it in an underground shelter you had to be far enough from the blast site that you had a decent chance of surviving in a cellar.

I can go over the details, basically none protected you from superheated gas, or had radiation filters, or if the blast dropped tons of debris on the door to get out. There's more, but you get the idea.

One guy said that "The living would envy the dead." Which is pretty obvious, if you make the mistake of thinking about it. Food, health care, transportation, they would disappear as the roads clog, everyone tries to escape, and stores get emptied.

I used to talk about this in another forum. Preppers think they are smart, but if you prep for one type of disaster, there's usually a few others that can kill you. One guy lived on a lake, and was ready for lots. But if the Yellowstone caldera blew, he would die.

I digress.

Let's just say it would suck to be you.
Rancid wrote:
Russia's nukes probably don't even work. I bet all the copper and other metals have been stripped out and sold. :lol:

I'm not worried about Russia.

You are underestimating Russian paranoia.

The reliability of our old Minutemen missiles was questionable. The only successful launches were from a research facility. Eventually they just stopped trying.

Anyway, at one point Russia was decommisioning it's old missiles and decided to fire one off to see if it would work.

It worked, we had observers there, they were surprised, too.
late wrote:
You are underestimating Russian paranoia.

The reliability of our old Minutemen missiles was questionable. The only successful launches were from a research facility. Eventually they just stopped trying.

Anyway, at one point Russia was decommisioning it's old missiles and decided to fire one off to see if it would work.

It worked, we had observers there, they were surprised, too.

The reason the US stopped testing was because our simulations become so good, that we didn't need to do live tests anyway. My source? I work with people who have worked for our national labs on this shit (among other things).

They still do simulations constantly on the nukes and their trigger mechanisms. They even factor in the age of the nukes as part of it. They xray/image all the nukes every year as part of maintenance programs too. They do all sorts of shit to make sure they can still trigger with the right yield. I guarantee you Russia isn't doing any of that shit. They are corrupt and don't know how to do maintenance at all.

I bet VERY VERY few of their nukes actually work. IF any.

The link and quote has been posted. As well as l[…]

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]