China threatens to use military force to prevent Nancy Peolosi's Visit to Taiwan - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

So, Pelosi came to Taiwan, and then left Taiwan.

Now, Taiwan is where it was before the visit, only big panda got enraged and pissed off.

What good came out of this USA's poking China in the eye?

They fooled China? Like they fooled Russia by organizing Maydan in Ukraine?

Because USA can?

Nicely done, geniuses.
Independent_Srpska wrote:
Nicely done, geniuses.

I agree, it was another big win for us.

China has gone nuts, claiming the South China Sea, attacking India, pushing it's neighbors around.

Xi has been trying to push us around...

We just reminded him who the big dog is. If Xi attacks Taiwan, and we sanction China, their economy collapses into a Great Depression. India is part of the Quad, if we tell India we don't care what they do to China, they could reroute oil tankers bound for China to India. China doesn't have a navy designed to project force over distance. So their economy collapses into a Great Depression. If China attacks Taiwan, we could also do that.

Which means, btw, China could conquer Taiwan, but not be able to hold it. Pretty sure Xi knows that..

We have been babying China for most of my life, in the hope they would learn how to play nice. Clearly that hasn't happened, and isn't going to happen. So we've decided it's time to teach baby a lesson.
late wrote:I agree, it was another big win for us.

China has gone nuts, claiming the South China Sea, attacking India, pushing it's neighbors around.

We just reminded him who the big dog is. If Xi attacks Taiwan, and we sanction China, their economy collapses into a Great Depression. India is part of the Quad, if we tell India we don't care what they do to China, they could reroute oil tankers bound for China to India. China doesn't have a navy designed to project force over distance. So their economy collapses into a Great Depression. If China attacks Taiwan, we could also do that.

Which means, btw, China could conquer Taiwan, but not be able to hold it. Pretty sure Xi knows that..

We have been babying China for most of my life, in the hope they would learn how to play nice. Clearly that hasn't happened, and isn't going to happen. So we've decided it's time to teach baby a lesson.

You're commenting on this not even a week after it happened? Do you know what's going to happen in the future? The chess moves have only begun.

https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-china ... 4a6d441983
China sees weakness on the part of the US in two areas. The first is our lukewarm response to Russia coupled with the Republican's almost gay love affair with Putin. Their perceived threat on their Western border (Russia) is shown to be a complete pantywaist. This frees them from concern about a two front war.

The second is our completely dysfunctional government. There is serious doubt that the Republican party would support a war to protect Taiwan. It never met a despot it did not like.

Could the two economies survive a war with each other? Probably the US better than China but only because we can survive shortages without the massive unemployment such a war would represent. Assuming that the EU would back Taiwan war sanctions, China would lose 50% of its exports overnight. If the US became militarily involved it would lose virtually all of its exports as they move by sea. The US could easily blockade China.

So China has decided to withdraw from climate treaties to punish the US. (Thanks very much. The new Republican government in the fall will want to do that anyway and here is a good excuse.) It also has stopped "military cooperation" whatever that means.

Pelosi's trip accomplished exactly want it was supposed to accomplish. As Bluto says, this has just started. And it is not going to get better. The US needs to put the breaks on a runaway economy/inflation. Nothing like taking shit off the shelves to do that. (Sarcasm)
Here's what you aren't factoring in.

1) Cyberwarfare. China is much better positioned. They have 1.4 billion people. Can we match that on keyboard? Well, the way our intellectual property is being robbed today and a massive bureaucracy chasing its tail for decades wringing its hands over how to fix that, I would say no. Also, in a war, patents mean nothing. What will we do to enforce them? Probably nothing. So, Silicon Valley may be a ring around one of their provinces instead of Northern California.

2) China will also just sell much of its wares to other countries instead of the U.S. So they'll get less worth less and less USD and get other currencies and bartering. BFD.

3) Why are you assuming the EU would back sanctions? They see the US as more and more of a letdown. It might be everyone doing what's best for them.

Love your pot shots at republicans. It further unmasks who you really are. Pelosi did this to bolster the DNC troops for the fall elections so that they may lose 40 seats instead of 60. That's the only reason she did it. Will it work? We'll see. Still, the House will flip one way or another, and LONG DRAWN OUT investigations and impeachment proceedings need to happen. Just to draw blood. Favors need to be returned.
BlutoSays wrote:
You're commenting on this not even a week after it happened? Do you know what's going to happen in the future? The chess moves have only begun.

The Great Game never stops.

China is even worse off than I was saying. Remember the One Child Policy? Imagine your population going down by 40-50% and there wasn't a damn thing you could do about.

They are also about to have serious problems feeding their people. Their economy is slowing down.

There isn't much that can be done to cushion the blows, but what Xi has been doing is mostly making things worse. He's killed the messenger too many times, nobody tells him the truth.
Rugoz wrote:
I don't see how the US can defend Taiwan in the long term. China is not a pushover like Russia.

China is facing a series of crises with no easy solutions. The population is going to go down by as much as 50%, the reduction in global economic activity is going to hit them the hardest, they are going to have a LOT of trouble feeding themselves next year, Covid is revealing the limits of their health care system, they are looking at water shortages in the future, and more.

There is no long term here. If China attacks, we sanction, and China lands in a Great Depression.
late wrote:I agree, it was another big win for us.

Mate, you are a big dog everywhere in the world except on the borders of Russia and China, you learned that lesson in Ukraine, now you want to prove your knowledge on Taiwan. Way to go, mate. Consolidate your knowledge.

You are not dependent of Russian energy products, but certainly you are dependent on Taiwanese semiconductor industry.
Taiwan might be painful for you 8)
late wrote: China has gone nuts, claiming the South China Sea, attacking India, pushing it's neighbors around.

It's funny.

1) Drlee and Bluto recognizing American pluralism as a weakness that China will exploit and immediately demonstrating the fact of it.

2) the US recognizes (Republic of) Chinese ownership of the SCS (well the Spratleys and other islands) in the Treaty of Taipei that ended WW2. Article 2. Japan even acknowledged that the Treaty applies to PRC. I'm not expecting the rest of Asia to agree with the Treaty, but the whole controversy, from the US perspective, seems rather artificial.

This is a document drafted after the state of I[…]

One would need to ask the Israelis to define "[…]

I wasn't sure where else I should post this , so I[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@noemon Litwin is not a troll but a sophistica[…]