The federal deficit is now out of control - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

The federal deficit is now out of control

By James Rogan | September 26, 2022
The Washington Examiner

"The U.S. faces a challenging fiscal outlook," to quote the Congressional Budget Office .

Actually, federal deficits are going parabolic.

Since that CBO statement in late July, the deficit problem has become more acute. The United States is hemorrhaging debt. The principal cause of consumer price inflation running above 8% on an annual basis is too much federal government spending. Before the pandemic, federal debt held by the public was already on an unsustainable trajectory. It is largely caused by overly generous entitlements and a shrinking working population to pay for benefits for an increasing number of elderly citizens.

Borrowing to deal with the pandemic accelerated the federal government’s walk to the precipice of a national debt crisis. The Trump administration enacted over $3 trillion of new borrowing. Responsible post-pandemic action would have been a fiscal pivot to entitlement reform, but Joe Biden became president. His administration instead embarked on helicopter drops of money on the economy. The Committee for a Responsible Budget recently projected that new policies "will add more than $4.8 trillion to deficits" over the next decade.

Today, the federal debt held by the public stands at 98% of gross domestic product, up from just under 80% on Sept. 30, 2019, just before the pandemic. Biden likes to tout the deficit-fighting credentials of his administration. In his March State of the Union address, Biden claimed he would be "the only president ever to cut the deficit by more than $1 trillion in a single year."

That's laugh-out-loud material. In reality, the policies that reduced the deficit were set in stone; Biden did nothing positive in that regard. Moreover, what Biden won't acknowledge is that his free-spending policies will contribute importantly to ever-increasing deficits. The CBO projects that federal deficits over the period 2022-2052 will average 7.3% of GDP. That's double the average of the past 50 years. The CBO explains that interest payments on the federal deficit are the most significant factor in out-of-control spending. The math is straightforward now that the deficit is effectively 100% of GDP and rising. As the deficit moves above 100% of GDP, interest outlays rise proportionately. Each 1% rise in borrowing costs increases the federal deficit by 1% of GDP.

Unfortunately for the country, the end of July projections by the CBO are too optimistic. The CBO expected that short-term interest rates would climb from 0.5% at the end of 2021 and rise to 2.6% by the end of 2025. Today, the yield at the short end is around 4%, and the Federal Reserve tells us that short Treasury maturities are going to 4.5% or higher. Put simply, the CBO did not anticipate the Fed’s aggressive fight against inflation. Equally important, the CBO did not assume that a recession was just around the corner. That matters because, in a recession, tax revenues fall and federal government expenditures rise. Those expenditures are explained by increased unemployment benefits and more food stamps, for example.

The country thus faces a three-headed hydra: increasing spending, rising interest outlays, and falling revenues. When the dust settles, the federal balance sheet will be a sea of red ink. Soon, interest outlays as a percentage of GDP will exceed federal government spending on research and development, education, and infrastructure. It's a pathetic failure of both government and patriotism. The nation is borrowing more and more and leaving its children and grandchildren with nothing but debt.

James Rogan is a former U.S. foreign service officer who later worked in finance and law for 30 years. He writes a daily note on finance and the economy, politics, sociology, and criminal justice.

SOURCE: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/rest ... of-control
BlutoSays wrote:
It's a pathetic failure of both government and patriotism.

No, it's just capitalism's inherent lack of ability to deal with quantities of *abundance* ('overproduction') from *industrial* mass-production, and now *digital* mass (re-)production as well.

Gee, jobs don't always match up perfectly to market conditions, and European energy prices are off-the-rails -- ?

To blame 'government' and 'patriotism' is actually self-congratulatory, because *no it isn't*. It's capitalist *economics*.

BlutoSays wrote:
The nation is borrowing more and more and leaving its children and grandchildren with nothing but debt.

This is sheer political *marketing* because the 'children and grandchildren' (incoming generations) don't automatically get to *enjoy* premier national status or national treasure or whatever. It's very much a *class* thing, since the bourgeoisie in the U.S. is still slightly more dominant versus the fractional interests of the government bureaucratic administration.

Also, there's now a strong dollar, so what do you care, anyway, *monetarist* -- ?

If there was a time for World War III, this would be it since the world is on the precipice of international currency wars, and trade wars.
The Federal Reserve ordering the Treasury to create $$$ out of thin air and run it through the Federal Reserve in return for IOU's to the Treasury is capitalism? No, I don't think so.

The Federal government constantly conjuring up crises so they can throw money at affinity groups and pet projects like Obamacare, "climate justice" and free edumacation is capitalism? No, I don't think so.

No compete contracts for shit the US Tax payer doesn't need is capitalism? No, I think not. This is cronyism, not capitalism. We haven't had capitalism in a hundred years.

Social Security, Medicare, and a bloated federal welfare bureaucracy kicking out "entitlements" and denigrating self-sufficiency is not capitalism.

70% of the federal budget is transfer payments. That is not capitalism.

Uncle Sham is staffed by GS bodies. They are paid through TAXES for their idiocy. That is capitalism? No, I don't think so.
BlutoSays wrote:
The Federal Reserve ordering the Treasury to create $$$ out of thin air and run it through the Federal Reserve in return for IOU's to the Treasury is capitalism? No, I don't think so.

Bruh -- where's the *liquidity* / 'cashflow' supposed to come from, if not from actual GDP growth -- ?

Then, yes, it's *deficit spending*. No more doors to choose from, sorry.

BlutoSays wrote:
The Federal government constantly conjuring up crises so they can throw money at affinity groups and pet projects like Obamacare, "climate justice" and free edumacation is capitalism? No, I don't think so.

Capitalism is dog-eat-dog -- government spending has the sheer *scale* and authority to cut through the private sector's incrementalism and turf, to address *social issues* besides your favored 'nationalist upkeep', or whatever policies derive from your 'bunker mentality' conception of government.

BlutoSays wrote:
No compete contracts for shit the US Tax payer doesn't need is capitalism? No, I think not. This is cronyism, not capitalism. We haven't had capitalism in a hundred years.

I'll remind -- not *defending* -- that mergers-and-acquisitions is *also* capitalism, and the age of mom-and-pops was also the age of industrial combinations and robber barons.

BlutoSays wrote:
Social Security, Medicare, and a bloated federal welfare bureaucracy kicking out "entitlements" and denigrating self-sufficiency is not capitalism.

Monetarism is *not* the answer.

Shouldn't you be *cheering* the current recession -- ?

BlutoSays wrote:

Uncle Sham is staffed by GS bodies. They are paid through TAXES for their idiocy. That is capitalism? No, I don't think so.

(See the previous sections.)
Oh man, I was trying to find more details on the deficit rate, preferably from an unbiased source, and came upon this article, dated from 2019, when Trump was still president.
The U.S. Treasury on Friday said that the federal deficit for fiscal 2019 was $984 billion, a 26% increase from 2018 but still short of the $1 trillion mark previously forecast by the administration.

The gap between revenues and spending was the widest it’s been in seven years as expenditures on defense, Medicare and interest payments on the national debt ballooned the shortfall.

The government said corporate tax revenues totaled $230 billion, up 12%, thanks to a rebound in the second half of the year. Individual tax revenues rose 2% to $1.7 trillion.

Receipts totaled $3.4 trillion, up 4% through September, while federal spending rose 8%, to $4.4 trillion.

The U.S. government also collected nearly $71 billion in customs duties, or tariffs, a 70% increase compared to the year-ago period. As a percentage of U.S. economic output the deficit was 4.6%, 0.8 percentage points higher than the previous year.... Annual deficits have nearly doubled under President Donald Trump’s tenure notwithstanding an unemployment rate at multidecade lows and better earnings figures. Deficits usually shrink during times of economic growth as higher incomes and Wall Street profits buoy Treasury coffers, while automatic spending on items like food stamps decline.

Two big bipartisan spending bills, combined with the administration’s landmark tax cuts, however, have defied the typical trends and instead aggravated deficits. The Congressional Budget Office projects the trillion-dollar deficit could come as soon as fiscal 2020.

Still, the Treasury’s report will likely come as a relief to the Trump administration, which had previously forecast that the deficit would hit $1 trillion during the 2019 fiscal year. The White House pushed through a $1.5 trillion tax cut nearly two years ago that President Trump vowed would pay for itself. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/25/federal ... -2019.html
And also, from Investopedia,
When a president takes office, they inherit the previous administration's federal budget and budget deficit, which stands for their first year. This is because the federal fiscal year runs from Oct. 1 to Sep. 30, making it impossible for the incoming president to influence whether or not the budget has a deficit from January, when they take office, through the end of the fiscal year.

Although almost every U.S. president in the past half-century has run a record budget deficit at one time or another, the largest budget deficits in U.S. history were run by former President Donald Trump and his two immediate predecessors.

However, under the administration of Trump's successor, President Joe Biden, the deficit has gone down, even though his administration has had to deal with expenses connected to the COVID-19 pandemic. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/030515/which-united-states-presidents-have-run-largest-budget-deficits.asp
What would be needed to cut down on the national debt would be to freeze spending while raising taxes. But this unsurprisingly doesn't go over well with the voters, across partisan lines.
BlutoSays wrote:The Federal Reserve ordering the Treasury to create $$$ out of thin air and run it through the Federal Reserve in return for IOU's to the Treasury is capitalism? No, I don't think so.

You keep saying "this is not capitalism," as if capitalism is something solid and tangible that you have experienced in your life.

For me entire life, I have been governed by smiling gameshow hosts who do whatever the banks tell them to do.

Are you THAT much older than me that you remember a time BEFORE banks became the central oligarchs of the West?

@Pants-of-dog If you put it to a vote, you'd fin[…]

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]