Columbia faculty members walk out after pro-Palestinian protesters arrested - Page 44 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15316829
Pants-of-dog wrote:No.

I made my argument here:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=184415&p=15316633&hilit=Trend#p15316633

None of your subsequent posts address this argument.


Yes they have.

Pro-Israel protesters aren't trespassing so it's no wonder they are not being cleared by police.

If pro-Palestine protesters didn't trespass, they wouldn't be cleared by police either.
#15316830
Pants-of-dog wrote:According to what I read, it is the university who put up the fencing.

https://www.tvo.org/article/what-i-saw- ... ut-it-down

Ok, this is true. Sounds like U of T blocked off the area to save the grass for graduation, the protestors dismantled some of it, went inside the area to set up camp, and created a controlled entrance area to control access. Obviously people can protest on campus, but also obviously the controlled access shouldn't be tolerated and those blocking access to some students, removing barriers etc told to leave or be reprimanded by the university. If they refuse, campus security or police can remove them.
#15316850
Unthinking Majority wrote:...What gives these students the right to erect barricades and control access to public parks of campus? ...


One of the major problems that "the state" is having with these pesky students, is that they seem to insist on "doing their own research" , rather than just listening to their rich sponsors and doing whatever they say.

This is a fundamental problem in all post-secondary institutions. Doing your own research. Students need to be banned for doing their own research in universities. This would also save these universities a lot of money as "research" eats up a sizeable part of their billionaire-provided budgets.

#15316871
@wat0n

I think you do not understand my position.

-----------

Anyway, the argument seems to be thus:

Investment in genocidal regimes is legal.

Putting up a tent in a public area is illegal.

Whatever is legal is more moral than what is illegal.

Ergo, investment in genocidal regimes is more moral than putting up a tent in a public area.
#15316887
@Pants-of-dog you know what's immoral? Supporting mass murder, chanting for genocide, then pretending to oppose genocide and then harassing bystanders, particularly those whose extermination you want. That is not "anti-genocide", and no you don't get to say otherwise just because the genocidaires wannabees you support lack the means to.
#15316907
Pants-of-dog wrote:@wat0n

I think you do not understand my position.

-----------

Anyway, the argument seems to be thus:

Investment in genocidal regimes is legal.

Putting up a tent in a public area is illegal.

Whatever is legal is more moral than what is illegal.

Ergo, investment in genocidal regimes is more moral than putting up a tent in a public area.

You vehemently oppose alleged genocide by the Israel gov, and yet you say you "don't care" about the Oct 7 genocide.

The protestors oppose investment in Israeli businesses. Yet they say nothing about any university investment in companies in Iran or other country who arm and provide intel for Hamas for genocidal terrorism like Oct 7. And where were they on Oct 7? These student unions were writing up statements supporting this "legitimate act of resistance".

Protestors such as yourself and many of these students have selective outrage. They ignore the genocides against people they hate and protest the genocides for people they support. These folks have no basis for chastising anyone about "morality" because justice and human rights isn't their priority. They primary goal is for their tribe to win.
#15316918
Unthinking Majority wrote:You vehemently oppose alleged genocide by the Israel gov, and yet you say you "don't care" about the Oct 7 genocide.


You seem to misunderstand my position.

The protestors oppose investment in Israeli businesses. Yet they say nothing about any university investment in companies in Iran or other country who arm and provide intel for Hamas for genocidal terrorism like Oct 7. And where were they on Oct 7? These student unions were writing up statements supporting this "legitimate act of resistance".


I strongly doubt that any western university had any investment in Hamas.

Protestors such as yourself and many of these students have selective outrage. They ignore the genocides against people they hate and protest the genocides for people they support. These folks have no basis for chastising anyone about "morality" because justice and human rights isn't their priority. They primary goal is for their tribe to win.


And those of us on this side see you guys as being outraged over tents while blithely and happily accepting supporting genocide and therefore have no basis to chastise us over anything moral. But do you actually care about my opinion of you?
#15316926
Pants-of-dog wrote::roll: Personal attacks are boring. Especially if the person making them is lying about you. And is defending genocide.


Lying?

Was October 7 a form of legitimate resistance or will you keep trying to find ways to excuse it?

As for the protesters, their genocidal chants are well known and have been posted here. Unless you don't believe it is bad to demand a repeat of October 7 "10,000 times". Do you?
#15316949
Pants-of-dog wrote:And those of us on this side see you guys as being outraged over tents while blithely and happily accepting supporting genocide and therefore have no basis to chastise us over anything moral. But do you actually care about my opinion of you?

What is "this side" and "you guys"? I've stated my opposition to everything illegal or possibly illegal in this war, including the illegal and immoral acts of the Israeli gov and support an investigation of any such alleged incidents of war crimes, so that's a strawman that can be ignored.

The people continuing this war are those with black and white views of "us vs them" as you've shared. The only side people should be on is the side of justice and human rights and international law etc. If this had been followed not a single shot would have been fired since 1948, there would be a 2-state solution since then, and the Palestinians would have their own state and territory far larger than they have now or likely will ever have, even pre-1967 borders.

Unfortunately, the violence happening in Gaza does not give protestors the right to just do whatever they want in Canada and the US. That's not how democracy works. Protest is the right to speech, I support the rights of the students to protest, but they don't have the right to take over parts of campus or break reasonable school regulations, especially barring others from public parts of campus based on political views or ethnicity etc.

You seem to misunderstand my position.

You said you don't care about the Oct 7 genocide. Your position is clear.
  • 1
  • 42
  • 43
  • 44
  • 45
  • 46
  • 65

Harris' shambolic 2020 campaign for president. Sh[…]

@Istanbuller He made a bad name for himself. […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

By the way Trump gave an interview after the atta[…]

It was probably due to spamming policies of X. So […]