Poll: Greatest Military Machine in History - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Bean
Ashoka would have made the Mauryan empire huge, but he suddenly became a pacifist.
By Atromos
Stjepan wrote:That is irrelevant really. The simple reality is that China was the most advanced nation on Earth with a massive amount of resources and a huge population. The Mongols were steppe nomads whose entire population was maybe 700,000 and the Mongols steamrolled huge chunks of China, Central Asia, Persia, and Eastern/Central Europe.

When you take into account comparative size and resources, the Mongol conquest just seems more and more amazing.

I never said that china had only 300 people at the time. I was implying that though the nation is big, that doesnt necessarily mean that the population is big.
By Stipe
The population IS big. The population density is uneven yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the population of the Chinese kingdoms was much higher, and that they all were more advanced technologically, economically, and possessed basically many times more of everything that you need to fight a war compared to the Mongols. You can't make a convincing argument against Mongol military success by just saying China has uneven population distribution.
By Atromos
Stjepan wrote:The population IS big. The population density is uneven yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the population of the Chinese kingdoms was much higher, and that they all were more advanced technologically, economically, and possessed basically many times more of everything that you need to fight a war compared to the Mongols. You can't make a convincing argument against Mongol military success by just saying China has uneven population distribution.

Stop trying to argue against me becuase i agree with you. I said the population was big and simply made an aside about realistic population distribution, never relating it towards the validity of Mongol rulership.

Conversation over and done.
By Stipe
Oh, I'm sorry. I seriously thought you were using that in arguing against the case that fastpawn and I have been making for the mongols (and I think he interpreted it that way as well). Your posts were a little unclear in that regard. Again, sorry for misunderstanding.

... @FiveofSwords is so dumb it would go over hi[…]

It is still the mainstream opinion of mainstream […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just h[…]

Quiz for 'educated' historians

Now...because I personally have read actual prima[…]