Countries with no war on their own soil during 20th century? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Monkey Angst
Myself, I maintain that if the enemy attacked, and people died, then it counts as war. Yes, of course it's not the same as having an army march through and destroy your town. But it's war nonetheless.
By Cap
malachi151 wrote:Well, call it however you want, I don't consider it "having war waged on your soil."

Alright, you can "consider" it whatever you want. I could consider Pearl Harbour to not having war waged on your soil... that doesn't mean I'm right. It just means I have a ridiculous opinion.

malachi151 wrote:Tryig to put a few incidents in Canada and the occupation of the USSR in the same catagory is absurd.

Yes it is...

malachi151 wrote:When speaking of "war on domestic soil", IMO if there was no land invasion, or it was not a major bombarment campaign, then it does not count.

Alright, duly noted. You can have whatever opinion you want. I was just trying to point out the attacks that happened to Canada, so now you know.

malachi151 wrote:A couple of bombs, missiles, torpedos, etc? That's not "war" in my book.

Well your book is wrong. And those "couple of bombs, missiles, torpedoes etc" killed a couple hundred people - a lot of them non-combatants. Why are you being so stubborn? Such pride... :roll:

Cap 8)
By vincebs
When Pearl Harbor was attacked, did the Japanese bomb any civilian settlements, or was it only the naval base there that was bombed?

Same thing with Darwin, Australia: did the Japanese bomb the town, or was it only the military establishment there?

Switzerland was bombed during WWII by American planes. Does anyone know if any towns were hit, or only military bases?

How about Mongolia? Did it ever get into war with the Chinese/Russians/Japanese in the past 104 years?

How about the Swedish? Were they ever attacked by the Russians/Germans?

Any South American countries that haven't seen civil war / invasion / bombardment?

Tryig to put a few incidents in Canada and the occupation of the USSR in the same catagory is absurd.

I agree. Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders, and Icelandish never had to wake up to bombs cleaning out their neighborhoods, enemy soldiers arresting them, murdering their relatives, blowing up their houses, and raping their sisters. In the 20th century, at least.

So the countries with civilians never having experienced war are:
- U.S.
- Canada
- Switzerland
- Iceland
- New Zealand
anyone else?
Last edited by vincebs on 11 Feb 2004 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
By Monkey Angst
Some civilians, in Honolulu and at Hickam Airfield, were killed during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Here are their names.
By GandalfTheGrey
[quote="clownboy"]Sealand :lol:

Actually, if you read the sealand website, sealand had some altercation with some Dutch, and at least some warning shots were fired, and there was a kidnapping I recall.
By Örjan
vincebs wrote:How about the Swedish? Were they ever attacked by the Russians/Germans?

Yes, Stockholm was accidentally bombed by the russian airforce during the war, altough I dont think anyone was killed in that incident. But there were other bombing incidents were Swedes got killed. During the Lappland-war between Germany and Finland 1944-45 Swedish villages were accidentally bombed by german artillery. And of cource many swedish fishermen and sailors were killed by mines.

But the losses inflicted from the german and russian bombings were not so great if you compare them with losses the Swedish army suffered from accidents when it was mobilized during the war. In the worst incident over a hundred soldiers drowned when a ferry sunk near the finnish border.
By Yeddi
vincebs wrote:I agree. Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders, and Icelandish never had to wake up to enemy soldiers arresting them, murdering their relatives, blowing up their houses, and raping their sisters. In the 20th century, at least.

So the countries with civilians never having experienced war are:

So going by this logic, you would have to agree that the UK has never experienced war :roll:

You could also say that Japan has never experienced war.

"Experiencing war" would include any attack by a foriegn power in my book.
By Crazy Brown Guy
North Pole and South Pole were never attacked :D, and the rest of the world were somehow involved in some war.
By vincebs
Yeddi wrote:So going by this logic, you would have to agree that the UK has never experienced war :roll:

You could also say that Japan has never experienced war.

"Experiencing war" would include any attack by a foriegn power in my book.

No need to get all pissy on me. Now I know what George W. Bush feels like when he talks without thinking.

I also had this in mind: Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders, and Icelandish never had to wake up to bombs cleaning out their neighborhoods and bodyparts of children being blown to bits by a missile.

Which I have added to my previous post, since I was planning on writing that anyway. Not changing my opinion, just modifying my post so that it reflects it.

So the UK and Japan definitely experienced war several magnitudes more severely than the people in Pearl Harbor.

Monkey Angst wrote:Some civilians, in Honolulu and at Hickam Airfield, were killed during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Here are their names.

Were they in the actual city or at the military base?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just h[…]

@FiveofSwords For background... According to […]

Quiz for 'educated' historians

Now...because I personally have read actual prima[…]

US Presidential election 2024 thread.

You aren't American, you don't get a vote in my go[…]