Has 2020 really been so bad? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15141825
I hear everyone on social media saying how awful this past year has been, and I'm wondering just how so? I've been alive for some time now and have seen some awful shit in my days. I cannot understand why people think that 2020 is such a bad time when compared to other times in our past. Maybe it's because I've been through horrible trauma in my past that I can handle things better than others.

For me 2020 has been a great year. How about you?
#15141953
It has been a terrible year.

1. It was an election year. I had to listen to that shit and still have to.

2. Of course the Corona Virus is nothing short of tragic. I have to watch it up close and personal as they say. It is a horror. But that was not the worst of it. The worst of it was to watch the US do nothing about it. 300K people dead because of one man and half of the government still follows him.

3. I was sickened by having to watch so many people who I believed were good Christian, thoughtful people follow a psychopath into the abyss.

I still thank God for my blessings this year. I am very fortunate and am grateful for what I have.

My kitty died this year and I am still very sad about that.
#15141956
I really don't see it that way, I'm sorry.

I believe that the vast majority of those people were scheduled to die very soon, if I even believe those figures to begin with. They probably are inflated by a lot.

It's a matter of perspective.

For me, when I really reflect and take everything into consideration, I don't see 2020 as being a bad year in comparison to others. Maybe it's because for my entire life I've been used to seeing and hearing about the same negative news in one form or another. I just don't see how this is much different or worse than any other year of my life, politically or otherwise.
#15141957
@Drlee Sorry for your kitty. :(

It has not been terrible for me, but has been my toughest year so far. It was not what I was expecting at all. I had hoped for a year better than 2019.

1. I struggled for months getting used to working in a quieter office and cooperating with remote colleagues. I do not like web meetings. I miss being in the same room as colleagues.

2. Switching to online classes was tough on me. I have taken online classes before but at my university, online means a lot more work to do. So I am using Google more than I otherwise would.

3. Every day I am washing hands and keeping a distance from people as much as I can. It looks paranoid but it has kept me safe. So I will keep acting distant. I do not have OCD but I am washing my hands constantly. I even wipe down surfaces with alcohol wipes on a regular basis. I do not want to get sick and give it to my family and in the process, lose my job. I think my employers fire anyone who they suspect has the virus. They just come up with some lame reason for firing the person.

4. Like @Drlee said, election year. Awful. Trump needs to GTFO like NOW! I have been so impatient since...his first year as President for him to be elected out. I feel sorry for the ignorant and dumb who really think Trump is a good leader and those folks need their heads checked, sad to say.
#15141959
@MistyTiger

Yup, I believe online classes are harder than in person classes, mainly, because they assign more work for you to do. Now, I am also taking accelerated online classes but I am not taking 4 classes at once. Instead I take two classes for half a semester and another two for the other half, totaling 4 classes for an entire semester making me a full time student. It's not 4 classes stretched all at once together over an entire normal traditional semester. But's a lot of stress so the work load is not less and if anything it seems like it is more than the traditional in person classes that are stretched out over a longer period of time.

I have no problems learning in an online environment or an in person environment. But in my opinion, when you take online classes, you have to work harder than what you would taking them in person because I think there is more work you have to do. However, hard work never bothered me and I prefer the online classes even though it's more work because they are much more convenient. My job is to do all the work and meet my deadlines. It's not to drive to a college campus, fight for a parking spot and make sure I show up on time for class on top of the academic work that is required of me. Sure it's more work, but it's also more convenient. Trade offs to everything.
#15141961
Agent Steel wrote:I really don't see it that way, I'm sorry.

I believe that the vast majority of those people were scheduled to die very soon, if I even believe those figures to begin with. They probably are inflated by a lot.

It's a matter of perspective.

For me, when I really reflect and take everything into consideration, I don't see 2020 as being a bad year in comparison to others. Maybe it's because for my entire life I've been used to seeing and hearing about the same negative news in one form or another. I just don't see how this is much different or worse than any other year of my life, politically or otherwise.


It is not a matter of perspective.
#15141966
Drlee wrote:2. Of course the Corona Virus is nothing short of tragic. I have to watch it up close and personal as they say. It is a horror. But that was not the worst of it. The worst of it was to watch the US do nothing about it. 300K people dead because of one man and half of the government still follows him.

Trump handled COVID like a fool, but blaming the 300k deaths on him is some sick twisted shit. I'm sure he's responsible for some of the deaths, but so are the governors and the idiots who refused to wear masks and socially distance.

The last 5 years has been little but people spreading false information just to score political points and it needs to end.
#15141967
Trump handled COVID like a fool, but blaming the 300k deaths on him is some sick twisted shit


Nonsense. If Trump had launched the entire resources of the US Government on this disease from the start the US would be like Thailand. He alone could have rallied everyone to the flag. It was not just that he did very little. That is not the point at all. He actively worked to destroy the US response from denying the disease early on to refusing to use the law to force production of testing and PPE. He ignored the science. He ignored the experts. He actively propagated disinformation. All of these things led to an appalling death toll. There is sick twisted shit here alright. The sick twisted shit is that a great many Americans cannot see what is more than obvious to so many.
#15141984
No.

2001 was a nightmarish year too.

As bad as this year is, it's nothing compared to the time I watched a bunch of New Yorkers jumping "for their lives" from a fucked up pair of Skyscrapers that were obviously about to collapse. Fuck. And the months that followed were a fucking political nightmare.

Also personally it was my last year of School.
#15141986
2020 was a shit year.

Economically, 2020 was disastrous for me, including the still SHIT stock market. The people who tell you it's good are full of shit. 30 stocks holding up the entire market are not representative of a good stock market!

I've lost about $100k this year and have had to resort to living on savings for the first time in a very long time. My investments aren't making any money, either. 2021 can't be any worse than 2020.

Have never had a year where I was so angry at stupid fucking people.

@Agent Steel most of the people who died would not have died. That's a fucked up point of view, and that makes you one of the people who has made me angry. Callous and ignorant apathy is what that is.

2001 was only bad in that it started the War on Travel because of 9/11. It wasn't politically worse than 2020. Nothing could top 2020 for that and the Trump parasite attacking democracy and stupid cunts going along with it, or even supporting it. :knife:
#15141992
B0ycey wrote:It has to be. You have opposing views.

That said, more people will see 2020 as a bad year than a good one because of what has happened.


Reality does not care about perspective, or "I feel this or that".
#15141993
Godstud wrote:2001 was only bad in that it started the War on Travel because of 9/11.


The year was made a fucking nightmare. That one news day basically gave an entire generation who saw it around the world PTSD. I watched it all live on my shitty old TV.

As bad as this entire year has been, at least it didn't all happen at once like 9/11 did. The main reason I don't believe in the shithead Loose Change or "The Jews did it" conspiracy theories is because I saw it all live from New York, I wish I could have the luxury of believing it was an inside job, but I'm one of the unlucky sods that saw it all play out live.

Speak for yourself but 2001 was the worst year of my life.
#15141997
colliric wrote:The year was made a fucking nightmare. That one news day basically gave an entire generation who saw it around the world PTSD. I watched it all live on my shitty old TV.

As bad as this entire year has been, at least it didn't all happen at once like 9/11 did. The main reason I don't believe in the shithead Loose Change or "The Jews did it" conspiracy theories is because I saw it all live from New York, I wish I could have the luxury of believing it was an inside job, but I'm one of the unlucky sods that saw it all play out live.

Speak for yourself but 2001 was the worst year of my life.


... We are having 1 9/11 every day. But not just that, unlike the actual 9/11... we had plenty of warnings. We had warnings when there was 1 dead, when there was 10 dead, when it was 100 dead, when it was 1000 deads, when it was 10000 dead, when it was 100000 dead when it was 2000000 dead and we continue to have the same fking retarded "I don't give a shit" attitude as if this is somehow going to stop if we pretend we are very macho. Stop living your world watching tv... it might not be dramatic to you seein a couple of thousand people being crushed by a skyscraper collapsing, but believe me, what is currently going on the ICUs of this country right now is every little bit as dramatic. Just like the firefighters that died (or got sick) when going to help rescue possible survivors... there are nurses, doctors, staff also getting sick and also dying because they are trying to help. Not my intention to start a "my tragedy is worse than your tragedy" pissing contest but... have some fucking perspective, the building is about to collapse and all I hear from some people is "make sure you grab all documents before you evacuate the building because they are worth a lot of money", fuck that.
#15141998
It (the year 2020) has been a terrible year. Financially I made a living in tourism. People canceled their reservations and I lost about 4 reservations. My son had to take virtual classes and they were more expensive than in person ones.

My husband got Covid and had to quarantine and I wasn't allowed to visit him since he was in a different country and I am in a high risk category. My friend lost a sister to a heart attack, another friend lost her sister too. Everyone I knew was asking for loans to survive and none are paying me back.

The world is in deep unemployment. I feel for the health care workers all over the world. It was a bad year. But the good news is that it is nearly over and 2021 is a different year. Hopefully a better one. This month has been pleasant, happy and full of good things.

2007 was a very bad year for me. So was 1999. So was 2013. Some years are worse than others. One thing I know for sure? I love living in this city in Mexico. I fall in love with it every day. I am grateful for this beautiful home I live in. My life is good.
#15142000
colliric wrote: That one news day basically gave an entire generation who saw it around the world PTSD.
:roll: You obviously don't know what PTSD is. While 9/11 was shocking to some, it wasn't completely unexpected. Tragic, yes.

2001 wasn't that bad a year. I made a good living, and aside from 9/11, which didn't affect me, personally(I knew no one who had family in the WTCs), it wasn't so bad.
#15142001
collliric wrote:that one news day basically gave an entire generation who saw it around the world PTSD.

Don't be silly.

Three-quarters of the world or more were cheering that day.

And rightly so. It was, in hindsight, the beginning of the end of the US empire.


:)
#15142004
XogGyux wrote:... We are having 1 9/11 every day. But not just that, unlike the actual 9/11... we had plenty of warnings. We had warnings when there was 1 dead, when there was 10 dead, when it was 100 dead, when it was 1000 deads, when it was 10000 dead, when it was 100000 dead when it was 2000000 dead and we continue to have the same fking retarded "I don't give a shit" attitude as if this is somehow going to stop if we pretend we are very macho. Stop living your world watching tv... it might not be dramatic to you seein a couple of thousand people being crushed by a skyscraper collapsing, but believe me, what is currently going on the ICUs of this country right now is every little bit as dramatic. Just like the firefighters that died (or got sick) when going to help rescue possible survivors... there are nurses, doctors, staff also getting sick and also dying because they are trying to help. Not my intention to start a "my tragedy is worse than your tragedy" pissing contest but... have some fucking perspective, the building is about to collapse and all I hear from some people is "make sure you grab all documents before you evacuate the building because they are worth a lot of money", fuck that.


Do you know how many people die on a daily basis in the USA when there is no pandemic?
#15142005
Julian658 wrote:Do you know how many people die on a daily basis in the USA when there is no pandemic?
People dying of other things isn't an argument. Why don't you say something stupid, like: "People die in their bathtubs every day.", or some such nonsense. It's about as idiotic, and relevant.

:moron:
#15142019
The year was made a fucking nightmare. That one news day basically gave an entire generation who saw it around the world PTSD. I watched it all live on my shitty old TV.


As a 13 year old boy watching it as it happened I thought it was cool as fuck. It was very interesting and exciting. It was like something out of an action movie, and it was cool to see people on the other side of the world fighting back against the greedy and oppressive rulers in the USA.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11

Would you really mess with Putin for that sum? […]

How to deal with Trump?

Why do you think I should listen to Republican […]

US bombs Syria

It's a well-taught story in the UK, I guess. I wo[…]

Election 2020

Annatar, once you again you post all kinds of asse[…]