1913 80% of patents came from the German Empire/Reich ? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Sandzak wrote:is this claim true?

Can a midd-size nation get 80% share on patent registrations of the World in the Year 1913?

Not impossible. Germany in the 19th and early 20th centuries was an intellectual powerhouse. Before… you know… yeah.
And then they started -- and lost -- two world wars in a matter of 30 years.

Speaks a lot on the effectiveness and productivity of any country trying to assert itself too much.

This is also true for France before them, and Russia and China afterwards.

In contrast, the Anglo-Saxon have been very successful, first Great Britain, and then the United States.

When Theodore Roosevelt said: Speak softly and carry a big stick, he probably meant that one should still speak softly even when he has a big stick in hand.
Sandzak wrote:is this claim true?

Can a midd-size nation get 80% share on patent registrations of the World in the Year 1913?

It is actually not surprising if you look at the late 19th and early 20th century noble prise winners for example. Even Einstein is basically a product of German imperial education system and science.
Back then England and Germany competed in developing advanced technology. England had a big head start, they had started investing in R&D a couple centuries earlier. But Germany was hotter than a 5 cent cigar.

It's forgotten now, but the fear of German weapons development was on everybody's mind during WW2, and for good reason.
JohnRawls wrote:Even Einstein is basically a product of German imperial education system and science.

Actually Einstein and the German school system didn't fit together well at all. His teachers considered him disrespectful and a bad influence on other students. He left Germany and finished high school in Switzerland, where he also got his PhD.

Just saying ;).
At first instance sounds incorrect. At this time, I will be betting my money on USA for producing more patents than any other nations, in fact I will say that this data is definitely wrong. US should be no 1 and even then it won't be 80%.
fuser wrote:At first instance sounds incorrect. At this time, I will be betting my money on USA for producing more patents than any other nations, in fact I will say that this data is definitely wrong. US should be no 1 and even then it won't be 80%.

I believe the OP was referring to the patents issued in the year 1913 only.
fuser wrote:
At first instance sounds incorrect. At this time, I will be betting my money on USA for producing more patents than any other nations, in fact I will say that this data is definitely wrong. US should be no 1 and even then it won't be 80%.

We started becoming part of the Modern World after the Civil War. It's a long, slow climb to the top.

The number of the patents granted in Germany between 1900 and 1913 was 10,148 (Burhop 2010). Between the 1890s and World War I, about one-third of all German patents were granted to foreigners, mostly Americans. The number of the patent applications in the United States was 109,987 in 1913.

Using newly collected patent assignment data for late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century Germany and a standard econometric approach from the international trade literature—the gravity model—we demonstrate the existence of border effects on a historical technology market. We show that the geographic distance between assignor and assignee negatively affected the probability of patent assignments, as well as the fact that a state or international border separated the two contracting parties. Surprisingly, we show that the effect of a state border within Germany was nearly as large as the effect of an international border.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... y_Approach

U.S. Patent Activity
Calendar Years 1790 to the Present
Table of Annual U.S. Patent Activity Since 1790
https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/id ... counts.htm
@late Naah US was top dog at this point, also it was easier to get a patent in US than anywhere else in the world. This was the high time for advances in general industrial technology, automobile (Ford), I believe at the start of WW1 US factories were already more productive than Europe or anywhere else in the world.

Potemkin wrote:I believe the OP was referring to the patents issued in the year 1913 only.

I still believe it to be wrong. May be as a fluke, Germany was on top that year but 80% is just a lot, it must be one of the countless myth perpetuating around.

And thanks @ThirdTerm for the data, it did looked like it was too good to be true, like a test match in England without rain.
fuser wrote:[usermention=41202]

@late[/usermention] Naah US was top dog at this point

We were making a lot of progress, but we weren't top dog. For an interesting dive into this look at the Rise and Fall of American Growth.

Also look at how England just handed over their best technology in WW2.

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Yes, and that conditional statement is not necessa[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pAf3aBt18 How […]