The Impact of History - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Groovesmith
This is not as much as a precise subject but more of a general subject which has recently come to my concern:
I belive that History is the most important field of study, simply that History is everything. I must state that i seem to confuse what the field of study and the making of history -- for a view it as continous flux .
Hegel showed the world how little we ever learned about it history but i must disagree, I think we always learn about history (at least in some modern experiences) and that diplomats have always been concious of history while making their decisions. The point is that one cannont hope to use history in order to foree the future for life comes with suprises everysingle day. Countires change policy in order to avoid past follies only to be met up with new circumstances they had not even imagined for historial events produce variants to that equation we call life.

Talking to a friend whom argued that Science was everything, I tired to make the point that there could be no Science had there been no history.
Santayana pointed out that the history of a country was like the memory of a man. I could not imagine my life without the memory of what i had done, without it I would just be something but with no impact. It is complicated to set this comparision but I feel that states devloped improving on each other and that the establishment of 'civil' society, was based on some awarnesss of past mistakes and problems. Once that was a given -- ie society -- then the space for more could come and the development of society could take its place into the other fields which occupy mans mind.

I truly think we are politcal creatures, a need for social interaction led to the devlopment of goverance in order to allow for the devlopment of other such important fields of study.

However, In modern times everyone seems just to look at history as facts and figures -- I dont blame them, it seems to be taught that way. But i have to many thoughts and not a direct path to go; marx said that 'history was nothing' and man made their own history but they did not choose the circumstances. Bismark said the point was to make it, and not write it. Wilde said that anyone could make it, but that it took a genius to write it. And Carr suggested that history is made by the historian whom decided to write it, as his example portrays that millions have crosses the rubicon but only Caesars crossing is remebered and deemed important.

What is value of history in socities now a days? Is it more valuable than any other fields of study? Of course iw ould like to go beyond 'bound to repeat it' side of history, which seems very true but is taken to for granted.

How is my study of the Russian Revolution or of the Great War or anything going to have an impact on the world.?I mean ever since i have studied history I feel a changed man, I feel a greater understanding for the working of humans and the interactions in certain established circumstances. But I really cant get the jist of my ideas

Any feedback whatsoever... or your thought on the importance of history would be amazingly welcome. Anything at all would help!
By clownboy
Great post! Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to comment on much, but this piece:
...In modern times everyone seems just to look at history as facts and figures...
When we rely on "facts and figures", we tend to disregard context and, that these are people we're talking about, with all the same emotions, desires and passions we possess.

And yes, it's a very important field of study. For me it's really cool to think that some guy a thousand years ago shared many of the feelings and value-decisions that I've made in my own life.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just h[…]

@FiveofSwords For background... According to […]

Quiz for 'educated' historians

Now...because I personally have read actual prima[…]

US Presidential election 2024 thread.

You aren't American, you don't get a vote in my go[…]