How many countries has the US invaded/fought against? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
England
France
Spain
Germany
Italy
Mexico
Panama
Grenada
Iraq
Iran (I don't if this qualify, but they did shoot down planes etc. in the Iran-Iraq war, including civilian planes. Correct me if I am wrong)
Afghanistan
Vietnam
Laos
Japan
China
North Korea
Somalia

This is all of the countries I remember at the moment. It would be cool to have a complete list.
By Yevgraf
Greece, just after WW2.

Cuba. If you consider the Bay of Pigs conflagaration as being an American invasion.

They bombed Libya in the mid-1980s, also.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
When did the US fight against France??...

The list would far excede the bandwith limit of this forum...
By Comrade Ogilvy
Well, in the war were the french helped the US against England. Before that they were fighting. I don't know if that count, but they had, as far as I know, a government under the occupation by Germany in WW2.
By TROI
Wtf? That made no sense! The US has never fought against France.
By Stan
In 1898 they invaded Puerto Rico and still hold this territory as a US posession.
By clownboy
The Role Of Ideology wrote:Wtf? That made no sense! The US has never fought against France.

Perhaps they're thing of the French and Indian War. It was before we were Americans and were still Englishmen.
By clownboy
Stan wrote:In 1898 they invaded Puerto Rico and still hold this territory as a US posession.

Hooey, the good people of PR vote for that. They've long been free to drop territory status - they don't want to (overwhelming votes). They have been offerred Statehood, but they consistently turn down statehood, but affirm their wish to continue as a territory.

Guam - same thing.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Wtf? That made no sense! The US has never fought against France.

Ever watched a movie called The Patriot or something like that?
By TROI
LOL! There is a big difference beween France and the UK my friend, BIG difference.
By Stipe
The US actually did fight an undeclared naval war against France in the very early 19th century. It's usually called the Quasi-War or something along those lines. Was fought entirely on the Atlantic.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Bushbombedmyfamily is refering to the French and Indian War. That wasn't really an American war...US was then a colony of England and they were Englishmen...and they were fighting alongside the Englihs on behalf of the crown. So it doesn't count...

But for a list of all the nations the US has intervened in...it would excede the bandwith limit of this forum as I said...its WAY longer than what you have there.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Bushbombedmyfamily is refering to the French and Indian War.

I am sorry, but that is not the case. The americans had great distrust towards the french because of their "invasion" with England. After a while, they switched side, and helped the americans out with their navy etc. and that probably saved the americans.
I am very certain this is the case.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Why not make a list of both those who have been invaded or intervened?

Afghanistan
Chile
Cuba
Congo
England
France
Spain
Germany
Italy
Mexico
Panama
Grenada
Iraq
Iran
Vietnam
Laos
Japan
China
North Korea
Somalia
Greece
Puerto Rico
Lybia
Kuwait
Serbia
Syria
Oman
Cambodia
Domincan Republic
Lebanon
Egypt
Argentina
Urugay
Honduras
Haiti
Russia (5 landings to fighting bolsheviks)
Nicaragua
Philippines
Montenegro?

What about indonesia? They supported the war against East Timor..
Last edited by Comrade Ogilvy on 17 Feb 2004 21:46, edited 2 times in total.
By Unperson-S
I was racking my brain for ages (a couple of minutes) and you missed out Turkey during the first world war, (well I'm not sure if Turkey was still in the war when 1917 arrived)
By Al Khabir
The Americans fought against Vichy French in North Africa.
By TROI
Where did the yanks fight in N.Africa?
By Al Khabir
Joint British/American invasion of The North African Atlantic Coast, which was French Empire and was occupied by Vichy troops. The whole operation was a mess, but we had such superiority in numbers and morale that we couldn't lose.
By TROI
I thought the troops in the French colonies were all loyalists? And did the American's help us in Tunisia?
By Al Khabir
Most of the French colonies were Vichy until we invaded them. They never put up much of a fight though. For example, the French fleet that Churchill sank was stationed in North Africa.

I don't think that the Amerikaners helped us in Tunisia though. The British Army fought in North East Africa.
On Self Interest

@Wellsy But if we were to define "moral […]

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]