Funny/entertaining stories from war - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Do you got any funny stories from war? I think this one is entertaining. :)

From Heinz Guderian in his book, Panzer Leader:

.... "This drive took me unexpected through the middle of Russian infantry, wich had come up in lorries to the very outskirts of Slonim and was on the point of dismounting. I ordered my driver, who was next to me, to go full-speed ahead and we drove straight through the Russians; they were so suprised by this unexpected encounter that they did not even have time to fire their guns. All the same they must have recognised me, because the Russians press later enounced my death; I felt bound to inform them of their mistake by means of German wireless."
By TROI
Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Ahh...Charge of the Light Brigade...best piece of stupid propaganda. You could say...it was the forerunner to MSS and FAUX News...
By TROI
It's a poem :eh:
By pwilliams
Why is everything propaganda to some of these people. I think its just a very well done poem.
By smashthestate
pwilliams wrote:Why is everything propaganda to some of these people. I think its just a very well done poem.

To some people on this forum, anything you don't agree with or believe, yet have no disproof for, you just call it propaganda and call it good.
By TROI
I like the charge of the light brigade I think it is a great portrayal of Bravery, honour and tragedy.
By repr0bate
The poem makes out that it was a heroic charge by unquestioning,

Was there a man dismay'd?

loyal cavalrymen.

It also suggests that they attacked the cannon, then nobly returned to their lines.

Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back,

In reality, it was a blundering mistake made by generals, the soldiers were forced to charge or be executed, they were then massacred by the cannon and retreated. But the poem makes it into some kind of example of heroism. It also has this unimaginative marching rythm which makes it seem proud and noble.

The sentiment of this poem can be summed up in these lines :

Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die.

How can you consider that a positive thing? Anyone with an ounce of logic questions authority that makes stupid decisions like these that cost hundreds of lives. This poem turns a blundering British war mistake into some example of heroism, I sincerely doubt the cavalrymen who were there would echo this.
By The One.
It's a poem :lol: .

Who cares?Why don't you analyse star wars instead? :lol:
By repr0bate
It was a poem done at the time of the Crimean War, one of the mose widespread and easily accessibly forms of literature. If you are going to discount that as a form of propaganda then you are extremely ignorant ;).
By Collective
Yeah, because since when did literature have meaning :roll:

The poem is an example of that kind of nationalistic thinking which advocated, or rather advocates, blind service and loyalty to one's country. It glorifys the needless sacrifice of these men and doesn't question the war, indeed promotes it. It's in stark contrast to much of the poetry of WW1 for example, a lot of which was more concerned with questioning the war and sacrifice and criticising those who supported the charge of the light brigade on a much grander scale. I know which I prefer.
By TomThumbKOP
I see a difference between what it is now (well written peotry) and what it was then (nationalistic motivational literature) and admire it for how good it is in both roles.
By TROI
So you don't think that them charging enemy guns guns with little chance of survival and self disregard wasn't heroic?
By repr0bate
No, it was stupid. There was nothing to gain, and nothing was gained. Submitting to a moronic upper class general will be bound to have consequences like this.
By TROI
So rather than heroics you see it as submission?
By repr0bate
Yes, I think that's about all it comes to. I see heroism as something far different. I suppose I would define it as someone sacrificing themselves to actually help further a cause that they believe in. I would also say it has to be a personal choice, not at the whim of a leader.
By TROI
M'eh some people would say that your nation is something worthy of laying down your life for...
By repr0bate
Yes they would, but in this case the soldiers knew they were riding to death and they supposedly didn't question it. That's idiocy, not heroism.

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]