Pictures that Changed the World....Favorites??? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I was just wondering what historical images have stuck to you the most...and what made them so special¿?

Personally my fav war pictures come from Robert Capa and my fav pic has to be the following, from the spanish civil war. Just the fact that Capa was so close to the action and the way the republican soldier takes the bullet... its just shocking... not disgusting but, well its hard to describe. :?:

http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/images/magnum/RC_1072.jpg

I also really enjoyed this one from the battle of Verdun (not by capa)
http://www.konfliktbilder.de/bilder/verdun.jpg

My personal reason must be simply the fact that death has been captured in the camera... i just find it so realistic yet passionate yet.. hmm hard to describe
By Jesse
The Bruck photograph of the Nuremburg Rally. I don't know where it is posted, so you can MSN me to have it sent to you if you're interested - its full colour, and of the sea of 300,000 young men and women at the Rally in '36, I believe. Unbelievably dramatic.
By clownboy

My Father is a Marine. Guadal Canal, Tarawa - on the beaches. Whenever I see this photo I think of his generation, their contribution, their courage. It challenges us all to be as strong, to have WILL.
By tragicclown

Vietcong exicuted

Murdered student at Kent State

Iconic Che

Lenin in 1917

Soviet soldier on the Reichstag
By Person
Nikita K.

General Lee's surrender at Appomattox

September 11

Sputnik
By Crazy Brown Guy

"It is nonviolence only when we love those that hate us. I know how difficult it is to follow this grand law of love, but are not all great and good things difficult to do? Love of the hater is the most difficult of all. But by the grace of God even this most difficult thing becomes easy to accomplish if we want to."
By The One.
Man,what's up with that crazy wrinkled old alien? :?:

I saw a great picture of the D-day landing in a WWII book(at Omaha I believe). It recaptured the whole will and courage of all the US,british and canadian soldiers that fought on the day of the beginnning of the end and the long but worthwhile process of the liberation of Europe.

Another one of my fav pic would be when a canadian(s?) soldiers fighting in the US army raised the Canadian flag at Khe shanh.

Another great picture was that pic on the cover of "bear any burden" (whose author I have forgotten) showing an american soldier with a wounded vietnamese kid in his arms.

Last but not least would be the landing on the moon of Neil Armstrong and the departure of the Saturn V rocket.

There's a lot more pics like these but I just don't feel like listing them all
By Comrade Ogilvy
Man,what's up with that crazy wrinkled old alien?

You mean Ghandi?
By Ixa
Ghandi was a nationalist who spoke fondly of Hitler. More people died than
was necessary because of his "nonviolence".
By Crazy Brown Guy
Comrade Ixabert wrote:Ghandi was a nationalist who spoke fondly of Hitler. More people died than
was necessary because of his "nonviolence".

You don't know anything about what happened before the non-violence moviement. You certainly don't understand what a non-violence movement is. He was not a nationalist, if he was Pakistan would not exist right now.
By Comrade Nicolae Ceausescu
Man,what's up with that crazy wrinkled old alien?

You don't know who Ghandi is? :lol: Shows how much you know about politics.
By Cap
I wish more people in the world were like this guy... myself included.

Cap 8)
By Milorg
That is truly one of the classic images of political history. Tiananmen Square -89
By smashthestate
CaptainCanada wrote:I wish more people in the world were like this guy... myself included.

What's stopping you?
By Comrade Ogilvy

German soldiers marching through the Arch of Triumph in Paris, 1940.
By Person
German soldiers marching through the Arch of Triumph in Paris, 1940.

Marching THROUGH it? To me, it looks like they are going around it.
Quiz for 'educated' historians

Now...because I personally have read actual prima[…]

Black people were never enslaved. Actually, bl[…]

US Presidential election 2024 thread.

You aren't American, you don't get a vote in my go[…]

On Self Interest

@Wellsy But if we were to define "moral […]