Equality of Opportunity - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Does "Equality of Opportunity" exist within a capitalist society?

Yes, everyone is born with an equal chance to succeed in life.
13%
No, all people are not born with an equal opportunity to succeed, and the government should redistribute wealth to a certain degree in order to bridge the gap.
50%
No, all people are not born with an equal opportunity to succeed, but people should play the hand they are dealth and not expect the government to equalize opportunity.
28%
Other, please explain.
10%
By Clovis
Gnote wrote:
Clovis wrote:I have no idea. But it really doesn't matter because we are talking about opportunity only, not statistics. For example, the statistics say that no black man has been elected president, but the reality is that black men have a fair (not equal) opportunity to do so.

Fair opportunity for social mobility would require "fair" access to resources to employ in one's quest to move up. I don't think that "fair" access exists.

The primary "resources for employment" are intelligence and education. Intelligence is innate and unequal. But education in America is free until college, when scholarships and loans (especially for the poor) are available. Unfortunately, just because people are presented with a fair opportunity to advance doesn't mean they will take advantage of it.
By Gnote
Clovis wrote:The primary "resources for employment" are intelligence and education. Intelligence is innate and unequal. But education in America is free until college, when scholarships and loans (especially for the poor) are available. Unfortunately, just because people are presented with a fair opportunity to advance doesn't mean they will take advantage of it.

While this debate is becoming somewhat redundant (I think I've had it 3 or 4 times in the past week, prompting me to start this poll)...

I think that the conditions under which you are raised have an important impact on whether or not you will succeed. If you are born into a poor family, chances are that education will not be the priority that it is if you are born into a wealthy family wherein you are provided with all of lifes necessities and indeed many luxuries. The poor family will concentrate on feeding you and keeping you alive, while the rich family will concentrate on education, and higher level needs.

A rough backup to what I am saying is Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. He suggest that there are different levels of needs. On the very bottom level, you are worried about surviving, eating, and feeling safe. Only after you have fulfilled those needs will you move up to higher levels.
By Yobbo
I'm a poor person. People are born with an equal chance to suceed in life PROVIDED they recieve free education, etc. I will soon be rich and not poor thanks to Australia's wonderful uni schemes. 8)

YES RICHER THAN YOU! (Just teasing).
By Randomizer
There are differences of two types between people, inherent and social. I think that it's fair that the more inherent values (like high IQ) the person has the further he goes in life, nothing should be done to change that. However uneven social starting field can completely ruin the meritocratic system. In a sufficiantly financially polarized society it may be much harder for someone from a poor family to realize his potential the same way to someone from a rich family. I don't want to go to extremes here, but at least free education should be available for everyone willing so that anyone sufficiently bright can achieve high position in the society. Once you get the education however you are on your own.

Current Jewish population estimates in Mexico com[…]

@Istanbuller You are operating out of extreme[…]

Ukraine stands with Syrian rebels against Moscow- […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Afhanistan and South Korea defeated communists. […]