Which is more important, Collectivism or Individualism? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Which is more important, Collectivism or Individualism?

Collectivism
46%
Individualism
54%
By Garibaldi
graymouser wrote:Individualism as a priority has no basis to stop one man from dominating another. Collectivism does.

How did you come upon this conclusion? Ultimatly, Individualism expouses that one individual should not destroy another individuals rights. Also, I'm sure you've heard of the vikings? Without any concept of human rights or collectivism, they managed to be the happiest society ever. Surely you don't think they dominated one another, do you?
By graymouser
Garibaldi wrote:How did you come upon this conclusion? Ultimatly, Individualism expouses that one individual should not destroy another individuals rights.

Individualism fundamentally allows and encourages individuals to arrogate their good over the good of the group; this leads to one individual dominating others. It can temporarily correct such situations, but not without eventually leading to collectivism.

Also, I'm sure you've heard of the vikings? Without any concept of human rights or collectivism, they managed to be the happiest society ever. Surely you don't think they dominated one another, do you?

The Vikings? As in, the Nordic peoples who raided, looted, and conquered much of Europe? The ones who created the Norman societies responsible for most of the atrocities in medieval Europe (esp. the severe excesses in the Crusades)? Where do you get this "Vikings = shiny happy people" nonsense?

-Wayne
By smashthestate
Maxim Litvinov wrote:The only joy in life is doing things with other people and for other people.

That's quite like an ultimatum...take it as it is or leave it completely. However, I would say that it is true, for the most part. I would say, though, that most people who are truly happy in life have found a healthy balance of time between their social activities and their time alone with their thoughts, or whatever they like to do alone. This is just as important and just as much part of the human experience as the former.

Maxim Litvinov wrote:Any philosophy which doesn't recognise the fundamentally social aspect of humans is flawed.

Agreed. But I would add that any philosophy that doesn't recognise the selfish and invidualistic behaviors of humans (which are both equally as present as the social aspect), is also very flawed.

And not all selfish or individualistic behavior is bad. History has shown that selfishness can be quite a productive trait, but it certainly has very bad results when it is taken too far, and the same it true with collectivism.
By Truth-a-naut
Individualism.
Although some days I have a spark of "global empathy" usually I'm just too tired to care for the rest.

Also a lot of collectivist thought is by definition retarded.
By Unperson-S
Collectivism:

There's no I in team. You go allot further working toghethor than you do by yourself.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls Back to an kind of communist economy[…]

Great news for Mexico! Congratulations, @Tainari8[…]

Chile has joined the (rather large) group of count[…]

No, I really don't. RACE was in invention of the[…]