If the Falklands Islands was attacked again, would you send - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

If the Falklands Islands was attacked again, would you send in the army?

Yes
66%
No
9%
Hand over the Islands to Argentina
23%
Power Share the Island
2%
By The Immortal Goon
Dave wrote:I wasn't aware that Americans were required to be Anglophobic.

Monroe Doctrine, bitches. But mostly, we're Americans - not Europeans.

But aside from poking a stick at the conflict, I honestly don't know enough about it to go in to a detailed analysis or anything.
By Dave
The Immortal Goon wrote:Monroe Doctrine, bitches.

The Monroe Doctrine is not a law--it is a policy suggestion. As you know very well it was established at a time when the United States was menaced by European powers and had defensive intent. As that is no longer the case I see no reason to stick to it. If European powers (or anyone else) started interfering with our interests in the backyard, then of course we would need to intervene.

The Immortal Goon wrote:But mostly, we're Americans - not Europeans.

We are diaspora Europeans with an unique national identity, but I'm not sure at any rate why this would require Anglophobia.
By Tailz
Let the people of Islands decide for themselves, give them autonomy (independence) from England and Argentina.

If Argentina tried to take the Islands by force (again), then yes military force should be bright to bear to help the Islanders and repell the invaders.

Dr House wrote:What strategic importance do the Malvinas have anyway? Why does Britain want them so badly?

Why does Argentina want them so badly?

The islands have become a symbol of nationalist pride and little else for Argentina. The issue of the islands is only waved about as a Weapon of Mass Distraction to distract Argentina's population with their own nationalism, from the otherwise more important issues Argentina faces.
By Dr House
tailz wrote:Why does Argentina want them so badly?

I don't know... Yet I somehow don't care. They should have them anyway.
By Dave
Issues of identity and pride transcend "more important issues", even if they are manipulated to distract from practical matters. To Argentina, the Falklands are Argentina. This is all that matters, and to act as if it is unimportant is to belittle a whole people, perhaps even an entire civilization given where Latin America's sympathies lie.
By Tailz
Dr House wrote:I don't know... Yet I somehow don't care. They should have them anyway.

So what the people - who actualy live on the islands - want, is of no concern?
By Dr House
Not to me, though doubtlessly it is to them.
By Tailz
Dr House wrote:Not to me, though doubtlessly it is to them.

Then why should they submit to your desire since you care little for their desires?
By Potemkin
Then why should they submit to your desire since you care little for their desires?

Those who are stronger will impose their will on those who are weaker. Which is, of course, what happened in reality. :D
By Tailz
Potemkin wrote:Those who are stronger will impose their will on those who are weaker. Which is, of course, what happened in reality.

Well obviously - but just because someone or some thing is strong enough to force its will upon others, does not mean it is the right or wrong thing to do.

The people who live on the Falkland Islands, don't want to join Argentina. And all that drives the desire for the Islands in Argentina, is nationalist pride and little else.
By Dave
God damn it Tailz :roll:
By Potemkin
How does it feel to agree with a Commie, Dave? :evil:
By Dave
How does it feel to agree with a reactionary? ;)
By Potemkin
We should join forces to crush the disease of liberalism once and for all. We can always turn on each other later to settle matters between us. Hey, it worked for Adolf and Joe, didn't it? ;)
By Dave
Risk it is! :D
By Potemkin
Vyacheslav Molotov is on his way to Berlin even as we speak.... :D
By Tailz
An alliance between Dave and Potemkin, wtf am I? Poland? :eek:
By Potemkin
Heh heh heh. :evil: *orders the tanks divisions to advance*
By Thunderhawk
An alliance between Dave and Potemkin, wtf am I? Poland?

Are you equally opposed to Dave and Potemkin? If Dave is the primary problem, Britain would be a better comparison.. though an ironic one considering this thread.
By Tailz
Thunderhawk wrote:Are you equally opposed to Dave and Potemkin? If Dave is the primary problem, Britain would be a better comparison.. though an ironic one considering this thread.

Hum... not really, I can understand the arguments of both Dave and Potemkin, and I agree witht hem both to a certain extent. But I also see a different perspective - especialy since I would like to see the disillusion of political state constructs - a world without nationalist political borders. So I think, what do the people of the Falkland Islands what? And obviously like all peoples, they want to control their own local enviroment, not be dictated too by a bunch of politicians masterbating their nationalist pride for English or Argentine power.

Then again, I just enjoy tweeking Dave's nose. :lol:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]