Three kinds of women - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

How the three kinds of women do rank according to their attractiveness to men?

Sensible - Sensual - Soulful
28%
Sensible - Soulful - Sensual
22%
Sensual - Sensible - Soulful
6%
Sensual - Soulful - Sensible
17%
Soulful - Sensible - Sensual
6%
Soulful - Sensual - Sensible
11%
Other
11%
By wat0n
Pants-of-dog wrote:The way I see cultural relativism is as follows:

Not all cultures are equal. This is true in a basic, factual sense. They are all different. And we can definitely judge them according to whatever criteria we want. For example, Chilean culture is more classist than Canadian culture.

So if we wanted to desperately believe in cultural equality, we would have to (as you say) pretend that a culture with problems is just as intrinsically worthy as one without problems. This may be true in some spiritual sense, but not in any practical way.

So I do not see cultural relativism as thinking all are equal. Instead, it is about how we judge and compare cultures. Using my example of classist Chilean culture, I judge this classism to be a problem because I have lived in Canada and seen how cultures can work without said classism. And here is the important point: I am judging one culture according to the culture I live in.

To me, cultural relativism is simply the acknowledgment that we judge other cultures by how they compare to our own. And this is why we always think ours is better. That seems the only way that all cultures are actually equal.

I also think it's hard for people to objectively judge other cultures, because such judgment will always be relative to your own and also your own values. That's why the answer is cultural pluralism, rather than multiculturalism.

Also, what do you mean by "classism" here? You mean the crass, often explicit class discrimination one finds in Chile or you mean any sort of class discrimination? Using the latter definition I think classism is also present in the US, is subtle and is often (but not always) confused with racism for some reason (to the point that many of the things Americans find to be racism are actually classism) but is still not nearly as bad as Chile's. Since both countries are neighbors things should not be too different in this regard there... Right?
By Julian658

Not all cultures are equal. This is true in a basic, factual sense. They are all different. And we can definitely judge them according to whatever criteria we want. For example, Chilean culture is more classist than Canadian culture.

So if we wanted to desperately believe in cultural equality, we would have to (as you say) pretend that a culture with problems is just as intrinsically worthy as one without problems. This may be true in some spiritual sense, but not in any practical way.

So I do not see cultural relativism as thinking all are equal. Instead, it is about how we judge and compare cultures. Using my example of classist Chilean culture, I judge this classism to be a problem because I have lived in Canada and seen how cultures can work without said classism. And here is the important point: I am judging one culture according to the culture I live in.

To me, cultural relativism is simply the acknowledgment that we judge other cultures by how they compare to our own. And this is why we always think ours is better. That seems the only way that all cultures are actually equal.

POD:

I hate to bring you the bad news ,but you have a couple of blind spots that are typical of cognitive dissonance:

You support affirmative action which is racism.

You detest the authoritarian component of fascism, however refuse to denounce the authoritarian component of communism.

That sort of ambivalence could indicate a mental illness.
Last edited by Julian658 on 08 Oct 2020 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

I think we usually think ours is better, but not always. For instance, Asian and Jewish culture tends to put strong emphasis on education, and this leads to higher career attainment and incomes. Also, many non-western cultures have a closer emphasis on family.

But yes we do compare other cultures to our own. My take on cultural relativism is that if you live in another country these people are free to live however they wish, save universally horrible things like rape, genocide etc.
By Rancid
Beren wrote:You are the problem by definition.

However, it's easy to decide if you're romantic or not. Would you be ready or willing to sacrifice yourself for the female you're in love with? Because that's how romantic men are supposed to be. It's part of the deal, you know.

This is always a hard question to answer, because you do not know how people will behave in a real situation where the might have to give up their life. However, in an attempt to answer it, I would say yes. See, I just said yes, but you don't know until you are really in that situation. :lol: However, I'd sacrifice my wife to save the kids in a heartbeat too. I'd expect her to throw me to the wolves to save the kids too.

You are really negative on women. I'm curious, what have your relationships been like?
By Beren
Rancid wrote:You are really negative on women. I'm curious, what have your relationships been like?

I'd rather say I'm just realistic and have no illusions, and I won't share such privacies on internet forums. Even sharing my issues with my family seems a bit too much retrospectively. However, the point is that a romantic relationship requires a romantic male first and foremost, while females can be down-to-earth, so to speak, maybe that's why males rather than females are supposed to be in love.
Tainari88 wrote:All this finding a partner for marriage and etc is tough nowadays. I am not part of the digital dating generation so I have no idea what the newer generations are looking for.

I did not order up my life partner from some menu Misty. It seems to me it is hard to find the right person for you nowadays. For a lot of singles.

It should not be. Find common values and spend time getting to know someone well and observe their character for a long time. It is not hard to do. The truth is you can find a lot of great men and women to date. You just need to find common value systems and have compatibility. People who are well developed in every way and who love giving of themselves....they are great people. Not easy to find I know...but they are out there.

;) Don't give up Misty.

@Rancid the problem you got is your wife can find a job fast and take up your slack. But your mother won't let you skip out on your responsibilities Rancid. She will get you back to where you belong.

Who else will train their son on how to take a poop that is epic in the correct manner? Solo tu.....that is who!

New Merengue song for you:

En la sala de un hospital, nacio el Gran Varon,

Su mision en la vida era ser un cagon,

El Gran Cagon..... :lol:

Gracias, hermosa. Digital dating creeps me out. I tried digital flirting in my teens and decided it was not for me. I need to be in the same room with the guy I am flirting with. Text on a screen never can satisfy me. People hiding behind screens and fake photos....scary!

I think this texting and emoji stuff has made dating more complicated. I am an old school romantic. I like chocolates, long walks by the beach, little gestures or just hanging out downtown. I struggle to interpret feelings based on text or cute emojis on a screen. If a guy wants to know me, he needs to spend time with me. I am not a fast texter and I dislike being glued to a screen. I need real feeling and actual laughter.

As the song goes, you can't hurry love. So I will wait and improve myself.

Besos, sensual mujer.
@Beren

Beren wrote:I'd rather say I'm just realistic and have no illusions, and I won't share such privacies on internet forums. Even sharing my issues with my family seems a bit too much retrospectively. However, the point is that a romantic relationship requires a romantic male first and foremost, while females can be down-to-earth, so to speak, maybe that's why males rather than females are supposed to be in love.

Women are just like guys in many respects when it comes to relationships. You got a lot of women who are terrible at relationships, don't understand relationships and some are just simply bad people. This is the case with guys too. That being said, there are good women out there who are excellent with relationships. But they are not easy to find. Most people are not very good at relationships when you consider the fact that divorce rates are high. Not being good at relationships doesn't necessarily mean somebody is a bad person, but a bad person can destroy a relationship or create a toxic relationship that can cause lasting damage not just to their partners but to any future generations stemming from that relationship. But, it's important to not be impressed by a pretty face when it comes to a woman. Never be impressed by a pretty face. Look into the heart of a woman and you will stand a better chance at finding a woman who is good relationship material and ultimately happiness for yourself.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 08 Oct 2020 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Beren wrote:I'd rather say I'm just realistic and have no illusions, and I won't share such privacies on internet forums. Even sharing my issues with my family seems a bit too much retrospectively. However, the point is that a romantic relationship requires a romantic male first and foremost, while females can be down-to-earth, so to speak, maybe that's why males rather than females are supposed to be in love.

It appears to me like you have some roadblocks set up and those prevent you from seeing good women, even ones under your nose. Goodness is subtle and usually obscured by the more conspicuous pretentious types. Those types are quite common wherever you go. Years ago I thought people were out to hurt me and I felt angry and sad inside.

But strangely, my life changed as I struggled to find my career path. I met some good people and they amused me and they were kind to me. I felt like they did not want to hurt me. Fast forward to now and my views on people and life are totally different than way back when. I am slowly believing that I deserve to be treated kindly. It still amazes me but some people just show me their sensitive side as if they sense the softness in me. I love it. I feel like I help them in some small way.

I used to think that being sensitive would make me weak. However, I can control my sensitivity and I can be strong, despite allowing myself to feel. What is life without feelings?
@MistyTiger

MistyTiger wrote:It appears to me like you have some roadblocks set up and those prevent you from seeing good women, even ones under your nose.

You hit the nail on the head here. I think that is Beren's problem too. He has set up some roadblocks. I did the same thing too when I was younger mainly because of the bad experience I had with my ex-wife.
By Julian658
MistyTiger wrote:It appears to me like you have some roadblocks set up and those prevent you from seeing good women, even ones under your nose. Goodness is subtle and usually obscured by the more conspicuous pretentious types. Those types are quite common wherever you go. Years ago I thought people were out to hurt me and I felt angry and sad inside.

But strangely, my life changed as I struggled to find my career path. I met some good people and they amused me and they were kind to me. I felt like they did not want to hurt me. Fast forward to now and my views on people and life are totally different than way back when. I am slowly believing that I deserve to be treated kindly. It still amazes me but some people just show me their sensitive side as if they sense the softness in me. I love it. I feel like I help them in some small way.

I used to think that being sensitive would make me weak. However, I can control my sensitivity and I can be strong, despite allowing myself to feel. What is life without feelings?

May I ask: How old are you?
I ask because finding a mate and falling in love is way easier when one is young and naive. As a person gains experience with age he or she becomes very picky based on prior disappointments. There is much more analysis rather than just going along with impulses, libido, and emotion. Love is supposed to be an addiction and addicts do not reason very well. Reason can get in the way of romance.
Julian658 wrote:May I ask: How old are you?
I ask because finding a mate and falling in love is way easier when one is young and naive. As a person gains experience with age he or she becomes very picky based on prior disappointments. There is much more analysis rather than just going along with impulses, libido, and emotion. Love is supposed to be an addiction and addicts do not reason very well. Reason can get in the way of romance.

Yes, you may ask. I do not forbid people from asking me questions. I am in my 30s.

I am a mix of picky and impulsive. I believe that I can feel young at any age. I am more self-aware than at 16, but I am still hopeful. Hope is a powerful feeling and I need it to keep going. I am currently trying to understand the dating/relationship thing. It is fascinating and a headache for me as well. I am a tomboy but men are not looking at me like a tomboy, so it is a bit unsettling.

However, I have my standards. I am not looking for some regular jock with huge biceps. I think body building is great but it is not the most important thing for me. I do not necessarily need a workout buddy. The man for me has to be caring, loyal and have integrity. Oh yes, he must have at least one college degree. I relate best with college educated types. I don't mind non-college men but I can sense a gap and it can be disappointing. And I try harder to dumb myself down with those types, sad to say.

I want something that will last. I can be passionate about writing and music, but not sure I can be passionate with a man for a lifetime. Feelings can change. But what I want is someone who I can trust and be myself with, a best friend.

I was raised to appreciate reason. It would take a lot to make me throw reason out the window. I am a mix of the sensitive type and the technical type.
By Julian658
MistyTiger wrote:Yes, you may ask. I do not forbid people from asking me questions. I am in my 30s.

I am a mix of picky and impulsive. I believe that I can feel young at any age. I am more self-aware than at 16, but I am still hopeful. Hope is a powerful feeling and I need it to keep going. I am currently trying to understand the dating/relationship thing. It is fascinating and a headache for me as well. I am a tomboy but men are not looking at me like a tomboy, so it is a bit unsettling.

However, I have my standards. I am not looking for some regular jock with huge biceps. I think body building is great but it is not the most important thing for me. I do not necessarily need a workout buddy. The man for me has to be caring, loyal and have integrity. Oh yes, he must have at least one college degree. I relate best with college educated types. I don't mind non-college men but I can sense a gap and it can be disappointing. And I try harder to dumb myself down with those types, sad to say.

I want something that will last. I can be passionate about writing and music, but not sure I can be passionate with a man for a lifetime. Feelings can change. But what I want is someone who I can trust and be myself with, a best friend.

I was raised to appreciate reason. It would take a lot to make me throw reason out the window. I am a mix of the sensitive type and the technical type.

OK, so you are not 18 years old. Way easier for many to find a mate at age 18. They go with feelings and biology and pay little attention to cerebral stuff. And this is the thing: Too much cerebral activity leads to paralysis by analysis.

I would not automatically discard non-college men. There are many guys that are electricians that can intellectually do circles around a man with a college liberal arts degrees. Since you are in your 30s you need to get going to plan the rest of your life. Women have a much harder schedule than men when planning the rest of your life. You need to get everything in order before age 40 whereas men have much more time to remain perennial teenagers.

Make a list of your emotional needs and find a guy that meets those needs. There is no perfect person out there, but someone will be close. You have one positive in that you are not a low self esteem person. People like that tend to make very bad choices.
Julian658 wrote:OK, so you are not 18 years old. Way easier for many to find a mate at age 18. They go with feelings and biology and pay little attention to cerebral stuff. And this is the thing: Too much cerebral activity leads to paralysis by analysis.

I would not automatically discard non-college men. There are many guys that are electricians that can intellectually do circles around a man with a college liberal arts degrees. Since you are in your 30s you need to get going to plan the rest of your life. Women have a much harder schedule than men when planning the rest of your life. You need to get everything in order before age 40 whereas men have much more time to remain perennial teenagers.

Make a list of your emotional needs and find a guy that meets those needs. There is no perfect person out there, but someone will be close. You have one positive in that you are not a low self esteem person. People like that tend to make very bad choices.

At 18, I was very introverted and avoidant. I have come a long way since then. I was lost and guys can tell so none really wanted to get to know me. Sure there were the jerks who just wanted to flirt but none actually wanted to know me as a person. People could tell though that I disliked myself and I thought I was fat and ugly. I still have thoughts about being ugly but those thoughts are less constant. I used to have low self esteem.

The thing is that I do not want a guy who acts like a teen. If he acts like a teen at age 36...he is off my radar, regardless of how much education he has. I just find that most guys I hit it off with have been to college. A little immaturity is okay but he needs to have his shit together in his late 20s and early 30s. A man is responsible and can take care of himself.

Women are better with putting details together. So I think women are better at planning their lives and schedules, for the most part. That said, if I see potential in a guy, I might stay around as a friend and see what happens. Friendship is a great foundation for a relationship.

I have mentioned Ethan in another thread. I suspect he is younger than me, not sure by how much, but I see some traits in him that I like. If I ever meet him, I will be testing the water to see if he wants to keep in touch. It is hard to know since he was my instructor in the summer, but I want to satisfy my curiosity. We hit it off. We have been emailing back and forth to schedule a time to meet but it just has not worked out. Or maybe he wants to keep me on the hook for awhile? Twice, he said he had meetings. The meet time will be in January, unless the university is closed by then. But management wants campus classes.
By Julian658
MistyTiger wrote:At 18, I was very introverted and avoidant. I have come a long way since then. I was lost and guys can tell so none really wanted to get to know me. Sure there were the jerks who just wanted to flirt but none actually wanted to know me as a person. People could tell though that I disliked myself and I thought I was fat and ugly. I still have thoughts about being ugly but those thoughts are less constant. I used to have low self esteem.

The thing is that I do not want a guy who acts like a teen. If he acts like a teen at age 36...he is off my radar, regardless of how much education he has. I just find that most guys I hit it off with have been to college. A little immaturity is okay but he needs to have his shit together in his late 20s and early 30s. A man is responsible and can take care of himself.

Women are better with putting details together. So I think women are better at planning their lives and schedules, for the most part. That said, if I see potential in a guy, I might stay around as a friend and see what happens. Friendship is a great foundation for a relationship.

I have mentioned Ethan in another thread. I suspect he is younger than me, not sure by how much, but I see some traits in him that I like. If I ever meet him, I will be testing the water to see if he wants to keep in touch. It is hard to know since he was my instructor in the summer, but I want to satisfy my curiosity. We hit it off. We have been emailing back and forth to schedule a time to meet but it just has not worked out. Or maybe he wants to keep me on the hook for awhile? Twice, he said he had meetings. The meet time will be in January, unless the university is closed by then. But management wants campus classes.

OK, got it. For many it is awkward. It was awkward for me too. It is awkward for many of us. I think you have done well with your life and did not allow the low self esteem get in the way. I am convinced people with low self esteem are born that way and it is a difficult personality trait to control.

I was lucky I found a match as a teenager. I married my high school girl friend. I don't know what is like to be single. I tried to break it off because I was so young, but she was always the best match. In my experience sometimes women have to do all the work to catch a shy man. Some of these guys have ZERO moves, they will never have a relationship if the woman does not do the ground work.
Julian658 wrote:OK, got it. For many it is awkward. It was awkward for me too. It is awkward for many of us. I think you have done well with your life and did not allow the low self esteem get in the way. I am convinced people with low self esteem are born that way and it is a difficult personality trait to control.

I was lucky I found a match as a teenager. I married my high school girl friend. I don't know what is like to be single. I tried to break it off because I was so young, but she was always the best match. In my experience sometimes women have to do all the work to catch a shy man. Some of these guys have ZERO moves, they will never have a relationship if the woman does not do the ground work.

I was born to be an impulsive, lovable, confident kid. I developed low self esteem after being bullied and mistreated by kids since age 9 until 18. They made me feel inferior for years and I absorbed messages about how being very thin and blonde was beautiful. I can never be very thin due to my frame and I am not blonde. I got through my issues with the help of kind strangers, older friends and my stubbornness. As a child before age 9, I was content. No one's opinion of me mattered, I get that from my father. So I believe that low self esteem is developed through negative experiences in life. When we are born, we are a blank slate.

After high school, I was able to breathe and colleagues were civil and kind. Yes, work has a code of conduct. But I could also tell that my colleagues did not believe in mistreating others. Many were funny and warmhearted. I loved when they would tell stories or talk about their kids or their own experiences. I slowly overcame the damage from my adolescence. I learned how to have inner talks with myself to cheer myself up. I feel like the real me is coming out of a coccoon after so many years. Kids tried to break me and keep me down, but I am proof that they failed. I am getting stronger each day, strong in mind and in spirit. No one will affect my sense of self ever again.

I am like a guy in that I am not crazy about relationships. My father only got married because the marriage was arranged. He is an antisocial nerd. I am like my father in that I am not good at forming close connections. But if I do not learn, I might end up alone forever. So I am fighting my aloof tendency and experimenting and learning. I do not mind shy men, I just need to be able not to be too intense or too forward. I do not want to scare them away. Arrogant men do not mind my intensity but I have had enough of those types.
Last edited by MistyTiger on 10 Oct 2020 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Oh is this now one of those psychoanalysis threads directed at forum users. Cool. Well then. I contend that Rei Murasame is actually a vengeful Indian man with too much time on his hands. 3..2..1...I summon you.

Btw misty, if you have a build that can never be thin, that means you have the better build, thicc. Just need to chisel out some curves. Thin is sickly, men are attracted to child bearing hips not runway models. Do not deny yourself self-improvement.
@Igor Antunov Psychoanalysis is actually kind of interesting. I do not mind it. I got used to it since my mother was a Psychology major in her 50s and she also helped me with my issues.

I have wide shoulders and hips that are better suited for a woman that is maybe 5 foot 6 or 1.6764 meters. It is a pain to find jackets or shirts that don't dwarf me. I'm learning how to sew so that should help. Running has helped me lose lots of poundage and I like core building exercises. I love having broad shoulders but clothes shopping can be frustrating.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 , if someone enters your house withou[…]

Considering you have the intelligence of an oyste[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable just[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to find […]