Will Trump Be Above The Law? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Will Trump Prove He Is Above The Law?

Yes, Trump will never be charged with a crime because he did nothing wrong.
8%
Yes, Trump will never be charged with a crime because he's a rich white dude and the law just doesn't apply to him because he's rich and white.
38%
No, Trump will get charged with a crime because he committed a crime and NOBODY is above the law, not even a former President.
23%
Maybe, he will be charged with a crime, depending on the political winds. It's all political.
23%
I don't care
8%
So, some journalists have noticed, like I have, that Trump so far seems above the law. Attorney General Garland claims nobody is above the law in the United States. I would have to disagree with Garland in that Trump so far appears to be above the law. The rules, so far, don't apply to Trump. Only to the rest of us. Here is Attorney General Garland asserting such claims.

So, the question now stands is this: Will Trump be, above the law in the United States?
@late

I hear the Justice Department talking about how “nobody” is above the law, and I would assume that means Trump too. But as we all know, talk is cheap and there is plenty of cheap talk these days in politics and our justice system, who seem more hell-bent on charging poor people with crimes but letting rich white folks do whatever they want without any accountability.

We all know the poor isn't above the law. But as far as I can tell, if you are rich and white, you are above the law and the law doesn't apply to you. It only applies to poor folks. Look at the sentences of the rioters of January 6th. The sentences are a joke and a slap on the wrist. Those people committed treason and got a slap on the wrist. What if it was a mob of black or colored people that rioted at the capital like that on January 6th? What would sentences be then?

Because, rich white folks write the laws only as a means to control poor folks. A form of social control rather than the true genuine article of law and justice. So if he really means what he says that “nobody is above the law” then Trump should already be charged with a crime and facing a criminal trial right now. We either have a system where the law only applies to the poor, but rich white folks like Trump are exempt from, or we have a justice system where nobody is truly above the law, including rich white folks like Trump.

We either have a justice system where the law is applied equally to everybody, including folks like Trump, or we don't and our justice system is a sham and simply a means of social control rather than the true genuine article of law and justice.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 22 Jul 2022 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
He already got away with ignoring a subpoena from Congress and the Republicans let him get away with it, despite the fact that the constitution explicitly says otherwise.

This kind of thing happens in developing countries. Oh well.
@Pants-of-dog

Yup. We'll have to stop calling ourselves as a developed country and start regarding ourselves as part of the Third World or a banana republic with no real rule of law. Sort of like Putin's Russia or North Korea or some of those Latin American dictatorships.
Pants-of-dog wrote:He already got away with ignoring a subpoena from Congress and the Republicans let him get away with it, despite the fact that the constitution explicitly says otherwise.

This kind of thing happens in developing countries. Oh well.

Is this new to you? Oh well.

https://www.politico.com/blogs/under-th ... mpt-196650

https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/28/politics ... index.html
Well, it looks like the DOJ just might be directly investigating Trump himself.

Tierney Sneed and Evan Perez of CNN wrote:The move by the Justice Department to bring two top aides to former Vice President Mike Pence in front of a federal grand jury is the most aggressive public step taken yet by prosecutors investigating the plots to subvert the 2020 election.

It signals that the Department's probe has reached inside former President Donald Trump's White House and that investigators are looking at conduct directly related to Trump's and his closest allies' efforts to overturn his election defeat.

Former Pence chief of staff Marc Short testified in front of a grand jury in DC on Friday, CNN has confirmed. Fellow Pence aide Greg Jacob testified in recent weeks as well, CNN has learned from a source close to the investigation.

The questions to Jacob and Short included a focus on the fake elector scheme and the role of Trump lawyers John Eastman and Rudy Giuliani, the source said.

Short and Jacob both were present in key meetings in the lead-up to the January 6 insurrection that were part of a pressure campaign to convince Pence to disrupt Congress' certification of President Joe Biden's electoral win.

Jacob, a former legal adviser to Pence, has participated in the House January 6 select committee investigation, even testifying publicly at a hearing last month. (He has not responded to CNN's inquiries about reports of his grand jury testimony.)
Short confirmed to CNN's Erin Burnett Monday night he complied with a grand jury subpoena but declined to discuss any details about his appearance. Short previously sat for a deposition in the House investigation.

Short's and Jacob's accounts were among the evidence that a federal judge in California cited in concluding that Trump and his allies may have been planning a crime in their plot to disrupt the transfer of presidential power.

How to approach Trump in the January 6 investigation has been a delicate question for the Justice Department. The department has faced immense pressure from lawmakers, former prosecutors and others to focus on the ringleaders of the 2020 election reversal gambits. But any investigation of a former president raises a host of highly sensitive and potentially explosive political and legal questions.

That Pence's inner circle is now being compelled to cooperate in the probe suggests that at least some of those obstacles have been cleared.
Last week, Attorney General Merrick Garland was visibly frustrated when a reporter grilled him about the possibility that the former president would be charged, as the former judge repeated vague assertions that, "No person is above the law in this country."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/politics ... index.html
I'm in the camp that he will not be charged. The bigger the crime, the easier it is to get away with it. Shitting on the constitution by trying to overthrow it is about as big of a crime as you could commit.

I think there is a higher chance other politicians get arrested though. Trump's enablers and supporters in congress especially.
The Rich can afford endless lawyers. The US legal system like many effectively favors those with access to enough lawyers as able to drag things out, evade, confuse.

I suspect he'll evade any real accountability,
Politics_Observer wrote:Yup. We'll have to stop calling ourselves as a developed country and start regarding ourselves as part of the Third World or a banana republic with no real rule of law. Sort of like Putin's Russia or North Korea or some of those Latin American dictatorships.

Quite the opposite. Trump would be in prison in those countries, but not in the US. What crimes did he actually commit?
Rugoz wrote:
Quite the opposite. Trump would be in prison in those countries, but not in the US. What crimes did he actually commit?

After Joe Biden won the 2020 United States presidential election,[6] then-incumbent Donald Trump pursued an unprecedented[7][8] effort to overturn the election,[20] with support and assistance from his campaign, proxies, political allies, and many of his supporters. These efforts culminated in the 2021 United States Capitol attack by Trump supporters, which was widely described as an attempted coup d'état.[21][22][23][24] One week later, Trump was impeached for incitement of insurrection but was acquitted by the Senate. In June 2022, the House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack said it has enough evidence to recommend that the U.S. Department of Justice indict Trump.[25]

Trump and his allies promoted a "big lie" of numerous false claims and conspiracy theories claiming that the election was stolen by means of rigged voting machines, electoral fraud and an international Communist conspiracy.[26][17][14][15][27][28][34] Trump pressed Justice Department leaders to challenge the election results and publicly state the election was corrupt.[35][36][37] However, the U.S. attorney general, the director of National Intelligence, and the director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency – as well as some Trump campaign staff – dismissed these claims. State and federal judges, election officials, and state governors also decided the claims were baseless.[38][39][40][41]

A small group of Trump loyalists, including Trump's chief of staff, Mark Meadows, his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, and several Republican lawmakers from the House Freedom Caucus, attempted to keep Trump in power. At the state level, their tactics targeted state legislatures with the intent of changing the results or delaying the electoral vote certification at the Capitol.[42] At the national level, they promoted the idea that Vice President Mike Pence could refuse to certify the election results on January 6, 2021. Consequently, hundreds of elected Republicans, including members of Congress and governors, initially refused to acknowledge Biden's victory,[43] though some later changed their positions.[44][45]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempts_ ... l_election
@ckaihatsu None of that is a crime in the US as far as I can tell.

If anything, they probably get him on tax evasion or something like that.

Not saying the law is the right one and the application of the rule of law always just. Might still be worthwhile to uphold as a principle though.
Rugoz wrote:
@ckaihatsu None of that is a crime in the US as far as I can tell.

If anything, they probably get him on tax evasion or something like that.

Not saying the law is the right one and the application of the rule of law always just. Might still be worthwhile to uphold as a principle though.

Why are you *downplaying* what he did?

Why not prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law? Why isn't he in jail *right now*?
@Politics_Observer Because, rich white folks write the laws only as a means to control poor folks.

:roll:

Give me a break. Are you really working on a masters degree?

All I can say is that the justice department had better have Trump dead to rights on a couple of real felonies. When I first heard this I went immediately to Fox News to see what the bubbas will be thinking tomorrow. They were already, covered in fake rage, decrying Hillary Clinton and classified documents.

If the Justice Department does not have enough to charge Trump with several felonies they may well have brought about the destruction of this country. We are already massively divided. This looks, on the surface of it, to be a politically motivated attempt at a hit on conservatives, through President Trump. I can assure you that somewhere across America, right wing radicals are cleaning their assault rifles and loading the Jeep.

Garland had better produce a warrant for Trump's arrest in the next couple of days.

Liberals/progressives cannot miss a single opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot. Right before mid-terms, with Republicans in trouble over abortion, they pull a stunt like this which will drive Trump supporters to the polls in huge numbers. Will we be talking about abortion and women's rights? Nope. We will be talking about how the lib'ral gov'ment is goin' after the Donald in his own home.

I absolutely could have cried when I saw this. Perhaps the single most bone-headed piece of political suicide I have seen in my considerable lifetime. And I remember George Wallace and Richard Nixon.

[W]idely described as an attempted coup d'état.[21][22][23][24] One week later, Trump was impeached for incitement of insurrection but was acquitted by the Senate.

'Incitement of insurrection'. There ya go.
How Transphobic Are You?

Letting folks change their gender on a drivers li[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster OK, sociopath (at best). Are you […]

https://twitter.com/camilapress/status/17748060673[…]

...What is remarkable is that he's able to assemb[…]