Crunching the Numbers. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Torus34
Our ability to grasp the 'size' of large numbers is limited. We can easily visualize five or six objects, but somewhere north of a dozen objects the image gets decidedly fuzzy. Over 1,000 and we simply tend to register it as a large number.

So it is with the annual number of gunshot deaths reported in the United States of America in 2020.* The figure given is 45,222.

In an attempt to make this figure more real, I began with the standard size of a coffin. Then, I pictured 45,222 coffins arranged end to end along a stretch of highway. Next, I considered someone driving past the lined-up coffins at a speed of 60 miles/hour. I then calculated how long it would take at 60 miles per hour to drive past the entire line-up.

It would take one hour.

One hour, at 60 miles/hour, to drive past 45,222 coffins lined up end to end beside the highway.

One hour.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

* Ref: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... nt%20years.

@Tainari88 There is no guarantee Trump will g[…]

@Potemkin wrote: Popular entertainment panders[…]

@Pants-of-dog no, you have not shown anything. J[…]

You probably think Bill nye is an actual scientis[…]