Cuba has proven that capitalism and technology are failures - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Crantag wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm

The US has 2,193,798 and China has 1,548,498.

America is also #1 in prisoners per 100,000 people, with 737. Russia is second with 615, whereas China is down in 12th, below England/Wales, Scotland and Australia, with 125.

There you go, now you know.

Oh, such a dangerous place huh, when was the last time you were put in jail? And please tell millions immigrants: don't come to America, it's the largest prison in the world! I wish that takes effect.
Sasa wrote:Oh, such a dangerous place huh, when was the last time you were put in jail? And please tell millions immigrants: don't come to America, it's the largest prison in the world! I wish that takes effect.

I'd certainly be in favor of warning migrants and tourists about the terrors of the prison industrial complex in the US.

I've never been to jail myself, which is sort of beside the point, in a conversation about gross statistics.

The reality is that, at best, America is no freer than a lot of places all over. It is a matter of components and degrees. You live under a facade of freedom.
Crantag wrote:I'd certainly be in favor of warning migrants and tourists about the terrors of the prison industrial complex in the US.

I've never been to jail myself, which is sort of beside the point, in a conversation about gross statistics.

The reality is that, at best, America is no freer than a lot of places all over. It is a matter of components and degrees. You live under a facade of freedom.

I don't think there's any country in the world is "absolutely free", it's always "relative". It also depends on how you define freedom. In my point of view, it essentially means for instance freedom of speech, you won't be arrested after criticizing a political leader. As a result the US is much more free than China.
And you realized that your propaganda takes little effect on discouraging immigration to the US, which tells you the reality, US is by far a better country to live - people are not fools, they move to the better places by nature.

I agree the US is not very good in terms of public safety. But that's nothing to do with freedom.
QatzelOk wrote:All my life, I have wanted to visit Latin America.

So this year, I saved some money and decided to take my bicycle to somewhere in Latin America to explore the countryside and towns alone on my bike.

I needed somewhere safe from crime and safe from cars.

After doing research, there was only one country where I was unlikely to get killed by a car or robbed by criminals, and that country is... Cuba. Communist.

All of capitalist Latin America is made up of dangerous shit-holes for singly guys on a bike. In Cuba, there are few cars and fewer crimes. People are trusting and kind because... it's safe to be trusting and kind.

At all other Latin American destinations, the visitor is a prisoner of the resort and of guided tours.

Capitalism is an abject failure.

To say you're wrong doesn't really cut how absurd your affirmations are and (if I'm honest) they are ridiculous.

First, Cuba isn't in Latin America, is a Caribbean Island. Second the new concept of Latin America is truly a USA invention that only exists as some sort of giant country in your imaginary.

Third you need to really, really laugh at someone who thinks the best way to drive around is to take her bike to an Island.

Forth, is really more ridiculous to think Cuba is a safer country than Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay or even Argentina and Brazil.

And fifth , given your remarks I have my doubts you ever went to Cuba. I have those doubts because I been to Cuba and I'm Uruguayan.
Politiks wrote:To say you're wrong doesn't really cut how absurd your affirmations are and (if I'm honest) they are ridiculous.

First, Cuba isn't in Latin America, is a Caribbean Island. Second the new concept of Latin America is truly a USA invention that only exists as some sort of giant country in your imaginary.

Third you need to really, really laugh at someone who thinks the best way to drive around is to take her bike to an Island.

Forth, is really more ridiculous to think Cuba is a safer country than Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay or even Argentina and Brazil.

And fifth , given your remarks I have my doubts you ever went to Cuba. I have those doubts because I been to Cuba and I'm Uruguayan.

Cuba is indeed a Latin American country
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America
Politiks wrote:No, it isn't.

According to Wikipedia:
"
Latin America[a] is a group of countries and dependencies in the Americas where Spanish, French and Portuguese are predominant including Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, and Saint Barthelemy. The term originated in 19th century France as Amérique latine to consider French-speaking territories in the Americas (Haiti, French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Saint Martin, Saint Barthélemy) along with the larger group of countries where Spanish and Portuguese languages prevailed. It is therefore broader than the terms Ibero-America or Hispanic America—though it usually excludes French Canada and modern French Louisiana.
"

That is said, all countries shown in your map are collectively called Latin-America.
Sasa wrote:According to Wikipedia:
"
Latin America[a] is a group of countries and dependencies in the Americas where Spanish, French and Portuguese are predominant including Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, and Saint Barthelemy. The term originated in 19th century France as Amérique latine to consider French-speaking territories in the Americas (Haiti, French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Saint Martin, Saint Barthélemy) along with the larger group of countries where Spanish and Portuguese languages prevailed. It is therefore broader than the terms Ibero-America or Hispanic America—though it usually excludes French Canada and modern French Louisiana.
"

That is said, all countries shown in your map are collectively called Latin-America.

Look Gringo, the map we use is the same map Europe and Asia uses, USA does their own maps that's your problem not mine and NO, we wont take your map seriously.

Cuba isn't a Latin American country. FYI, we see the American continent as Central America, South America and North American not "Latin American" .

Quoting Wikiipedia should be forbidden
Politiks wrote:Look Gringo, the map we use is the same map Europe and Asia uses, USA does their own maps that's your problem not mine and NO, we wont take your map seriously.

Cuba isn't a Latin American country. FYI, we see the American continent as Central America, South America and North American not "Latin American" .

Quoting Wikiipedia should be forbidden

So what's Latin-America then, if not the combination of central and South America?
All I know is Marco Rubio who's parents came from Cuba is thought a Latino-American.
Politiks wrote:...Cuba isn't in Latin America, is a Caribbean Island. Second the new concept of Latin America is truly a USA invention that only exists as some sort of giant country in your imaginary.

You really start strong here. :lol:

I'm a guy. The bike was a fantastic idea. I'm really glad I took it.

I have tons of contacts from all over Central and South America or who've traveled all over 'Latin America.' So I took their advice and didn't regret it. They told me I'd either be robbed or killed by a car in every other country. By the way, most American states are like that as well. Death by murder or by SUV.

Notice the complete lack of cars or narcotraficantes in the photo. Two sweet, local Cubanas took this pic for me.
Potemkin wrote:The real philosophy of Epicurus (as opposed to the vulgarised version of it which most people think they know) was all about the importance of human relationships. He regarded human friendship as the greatest good imaginable, and what he meant by the word "pleasure" was not rutting like animals or gorging ourselves on rich food until we throw up, but the cultivation of one's intellect and character through intelligent conversation, achieving one's full potential as a human being and helping others achieve their full potential as human beings.

I hijacked this quote from another thread to underscore how much of our technologies and capitalist daily routines have destroyed our human relationships, and that this fact really hit me in Cuba - where human relationships are front and center.
QatzelOk wrote:You really start strong here. :lol:

I'm a guy. The bike was a fantastic idea. I'm really glad I took it.

I have tons of contacts from all over Central and South America or who've traveled all over 'Latin America.' So I took their advice and didn't regret it. They told me I'd either be robbed or killed by a car in every other country. By the way, most American states are like that as well. Death by murder or by SUV.

Notice the complete lack of cars or narcotraficantes in the photo. Two sweet, local Cubanas took this pic for me.

I'm not one to care bout clothes but your style is reason enough to want you dead by car or narcs

I have no idea how someone who was going around on a bike in a tiny island like Cuba can compare to bike around South America when Brazil alone is the size of Western Europe. :roll: You should compare bike around in Cuba with bike around a tiny Island in Brazil or Uruguay's Peninsula. This assumption going through Cuba can be at any form equivalent of bike around a continental country like USA or Brazil makes anyone with 2 brains roll their eyes :roll:

By the way, Brazil and Argentina have Motocross tradition, many competitions. There are roads build for bikes in Brazil :roll: The roads alone are bigger than Cuba
Politiks wrote:I'm not one to care bout clothes but your style is reason enough to want you dead by car or narcs

What to Qatz's fashions have to do with how he reasons?

I have no idea how someone who was going around on a bike in a tiny island like Cuba can compare to bike around South America when Brazil alone is the size of Western Europe. :roll: You should compare bike to in Cuba with bike around a tiny Island in Brazil or Uruguay's Peninsula. This assumption going through Cuba can be at any form do do with how equivalent of bike around a continental country like USA or Brazil makes anyone with 2 brains roll their eyes :roll:

Many people bike for sport. I dont understand your criticisms, nor why you care. Then again, you are the one with two brains.

By the way, Brazil and Argentina have Motocross tradition, many competitions. There are roads build for bikes in Brazil :roll: The roads alone are bigger than Cuba

So?
Politiks wrote:To say you're wrong doesn't really cut how absurd your affirmations are and (if I'm honest) they are ridiculous.

Politiks wrote:I'm not one to care bout clothes but your style is reason enough to want you dead by car or narcs

Dumb shit put forth by a myopic and vapid brain. :|

Fashion isn't very judgemental in Holguin, Cuba. People look fabulous in whatever they wear because they're not obese from sedentary living, or pasty-face from working in an office-driving a car-sitting in front of a TV-going to malls-playing video games.

Outside of towns, you don't even need to wear a shirt. As long as you cover your dick and your ass, you're fine. Free.

In North America, our obese population wastes a lot of money trying to disguise their obesity and unhealthy lifestyles with logos and trends. Fail.
Not to be too contradictory but the reason that Cubans don't look pasty faced is most are black, and live in Cuba

Also everyone has all the gadgets and gear we have: smart phones, flat screen TV, computers, computer games etc. The govt buys all this stuff in bulk, like we do pharmaceuticals then sells it to the people in government stores, like our alcohol stores. Many Cubans have family around Latin America send them gear, or take it with them when they visit Cuba. Alternatively, Cubans may bring it back with themselves when they travel. Hubby brings home computer games from them. And a lot of this gear is made in China. Cuba awarded them the right to drill for oil.

Castro sent Cubans abroad, eg Spain to learn to make pharmaceuticals. They also send teachers out world wide. Doctors attend all major disasters.

And they have malls. There's the Charles the third, with electronic, clothes etc up stairs (They have escalators)and a food court on the main floor. Higher end malls with play yards for kids are in old Havana. But it's true that in the early years, you'd find food stores, liquor stores, pharmacies every so many blocks so you wouldn't have to lug stuff home from miles away.

As to cars, nobody loves and are prouder of their cars than the folks who have old cars. The govt wants to get folks to drive cleaner cars, but this is one programme that isn't popular with the people or the tourists. Most Cubans work for the govt, which pays low wages. Even doctors will work part time as a taxi driver because it pays so well.

Sugar. One of Cuba's main crops, along with tobacco...

Great german commentary: https://www.nachdenkseite[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachment[…]