Greta’s very corporate children’s crusade - Page 30 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

#15064072
Pants-of-dog wrote:If you do not want to say if it is hood or bad, then can you explain why it is noteworthy or worth discussing the fact that Thunberg is operating in a more or less capitalist system?

Why isn't pointing out industry financing and corporate interests noteworthy?
#15064074
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Why isn't pointing out industry financing and corporate interests noteworthy?


Because we live in a capitalist system and everything is done this way. You are literally pointing out how normal this all is.

It is like arguing that it is noteworthy that wombats are carbon based life forms, on a planet where almost all organisms are carbon based life forms.
#15064180
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Some of the opposition is surely down to the anti-capitalist sentiment of many proponents and the association with extreme progressive causes, e.g. AOC's green new deal and in Thunberg's case the "climate justice" movement (I've linked to this earlier in this thread).

AOC and Greta have only recently entered the public eye. Before that right wingers denied climate change because they didn't want to drive smaller cars or spend money on cleaner energy.

This whole thread is a red herring. Complaining that elites are trying to co-opt Greta is like complaining that high speed trains require public investment. Let's just ignore the billions spent by fossil fuel companies to buy elections and public opinion. Let's ignore the billions governments spend to build and maintain roads and airports.
#15064187
AFAIK wrote:AOC and Greta have only recently entered the public eye. Before that right wingers denied climate change because they didn't want to drive smaller cars or spend money on cleaner energy.


While I have no doubt right wingers would be denying it regardless of the strength of the evidence, their primary concern from the beginning was the radical expansion of the globalist technocracy. They were also concerned with a direct assault by the technocrats on their standard of living, but the concern was that the globalists intended to seriously degrade their standard of living, not that they were gonna have to drive hybrids and pay moderately higher energy prices. And as we've seen over the last few years with all the calls to ban meat and air travel, to curb procreation, and to give up things like heat and air conditioning, their concerns were more than justified.


This whole thread is a red herring. Complaining that elites are trying to co-opt Greta

The complaint isn't that Greta was co-opted, it's that she was manufactured. There's nothing authentic about that corporate mascot.

Let's just ignore the billions spent by fossil fuel companies to buy elections and public opinion.


Well why not? As long as your side is ignoring the massive power grab by the globalist technocracy and all the billionaire oligarchs and multinational corporations backing it then why shouldn't they give it right back to you in kind?
#15064224
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:I don't think I ever said that industry financing automatically means something can be dismissed, but from the reaction to this thread it seems I did hit a nerve with pointing it out. That's perhaps not surprising, as left wingers think profiting from something like climate change or health is highly immoral and that doesn't fit into their idea of their own causes being pure and altruistic.

Some of the opposition is surely down to the anti-capitalist sentiment of many proponents and the association with extreme progressive causes, e.g. AOC's green new deal and in Thunberg's case the "climate justice" movement (I've linked to this earlier in this thread).

Personally, I make a distinction between environmentalism, which is often highly irrational (e.g. intensely anti-nuclear power) bordering on the spiritual, and conservationism, which is more rational and centres on humanity. My view is that climate change has been hijacked by environmentalists.

Your view, then, is based on your emotions and feelings. Because you have an antipathy to the spiritual, you are ignoring science, because for once, the 'spiritual' people are on the scientifically-correct side. It's not that industry financing means something can be dismissed - it's that spiritual support means it can.

What can we do to get you to listen to climate scientists, rather than your emotions?
#15064247
Pants-of-dog wrote:Because we live in a capitalist system and everything is done this way. You are literally pointing out how normal this all is.

It is like arguing that it is noteworthy that wombats are carbon based life forms, on a planet where almost all organisms are carbon based life forms.

Now that you have accepted that Greta Inc. is a corporate-sponsored propaganda campaign, you are now ready to analyze "her message" that you keep reminding the forum is "so beautiful and important."

All slogans are beautiful and important- sounding. They're written by cynical manipulators. And unlike all those real climate activists who get shot for uttering their own words and doing actually physical things to prevent industrical destruction, Greta just pumps out her dad's marketing memes, and lets the media do what it wants with the pix it captures for entertainment.

Now that you know that Greta is a marketing-based life form...
#15064530
@Sivad
I thought Greta shot to fame because millions of teens in dozens of countries joined her Fridays for Future campaign. Are you guys claiming, without evidence, that this was not a grassroots movement?

Sivad wrote:As long as your side is ignoring the massive power grab by the globalist technocracy and all the billionaire oligarchs and multinational corporations backing it then why shouldn't they give it right back to you in kind?

By 'my side' you mean the people who want to ban GMOs because they don't want Monsanto to be able to patent our food supply?

I'm personally in favour of nationalising every industry big enough to be listed in the phone book. Why is it your side never complains about the huge subsidies given to fossil fuel companies and farmers? Why was it leftwingers who occupied Wall Street?
#15064556
AFAIK wrote:I thought Greta shot to fame because millions of teens in dozens of countries joined her Fridays for Future campaign. Are you guys claiming, without evidence, that this was not a grassroots movement?


I posted the evidence, you just didn't bother to look at it because you're not interested in evidence. The campaign did manage to wrangle throngs of imbeciles but it wasn't grassroots by any stretch of the imagination. It was backed by oligarchs and promoted by Davos marketing slicks. It was a successful astroturf operation that had a ludicrous little militant named Greta for a mascot.


By 'my side' you mean the people who want to ban GMOs because they don't want Monsanto to be able to patent our food supply?


What do gmos have to do with this?

I'm personally in favour of nationalising every industry big enough to be listed in the phone book. Why is it your side never complains about the huge subsidies given to fossil fuel companies and farmers? Why was it leftwingers who occupied Wall Street?


It's not just left wingers who are against government subsidies for giant corporations and there were plenty of other libertarians and center populists that participated in Occupy. The hard left idiots ruined Occupy, they were too busy with the gay ass circle jerks to get anything done, they didn't even have a coherent list of demands. :knife:
#15064596
1- Could you link the post? I must have overlooked it due to the thread being 30 pages long
2- You were complaining that corporations can make money from green policies. I was pointing out that environmentalists have no interest in minting billionaires.
3- Libertarian and centrist presence at Occupy was marginal. I'm sorry leftists ruined Occupy for you by being 99% of the movement.
#15065332
AFAIK wrote:1- Could you link the post? I must have overlooked it due to the thread being 30 pages long


From one of Sivad's post earlier in this thread:

Image

The Manufacturing of Greta Thunberg – for Consent: The Political Economy of the Non-Profit Industrial Complex [ACT I]

Rentzhog’s tweet, via the We Don’t Have Time twitter account, would be the very first exposure of Thunberg’s now famous school strike.

Tagged in Ingmar Rentzhog's “lonely girl” tweet were five twitter accounts: Greta Thunberg, Zero Hour (youth movement), Jamie Margolin (the teenage founder of Zero Hour), Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project, and the People’s Climate Strike twitter account (in the identical font and aesthetics as 350.org). [These groups will be touched upon briefly later in this series.]

Rentzhog is the founder of Laika (a prominent Swedish communications consultancy firm providing services to the financial industry, recently acquired by FundedByMe). He was appointed as chair of the think tank Global Utmaning .

(Global Challenge in English) on May 24, 2018, and serves on the board of FundedByMe. Rentzhog is a member of Al Gore’s Climate Reality Organization Leaders, where he is part of the European Climate Policy Task Force. He received his training in March 2017 by former US Vice President Al Gore in Denver, USA, and again in June 2018, in Berlin.

Founded in 2006, Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project is a partner of We Don’t Have Time.
#15065340
maz wrote:
From one of Sivad's post earlier in this thread:

Image

The Manufacturing of Greta Thunberg – for Consent: The Political Economy of the Non-Profit Industrial Complex [ACT I]



A whole 16 retweets!!!

More spud gun than smoking gun.

There is no doubt that activists have piggy backed on her cause, but they didn't get her into a Swedish newspaper in May 2018 and they didn't put her in front of the Swedish parliament. Rentzhog heard about it in the local media and went to see for himself
#15065362
BeesKnee5 wrote:
There is no doubt that activists have piggy backed on her cause, but they didn't get her into a Swedish newspaper in May 2018 and they didn't put her in front of the Swedish parliament. Rentzhog heard about it in the local media and went to see for himself


:knife:

The family’s story is that Greta launched a one-girl “school strike” at the Swedish parliament on the morning of August 20, 2018. Ingmar Rentzhog, founder of the social media platform We Have No Time, happened to be passing. Inspired, Rentzhog posted Greta’s photograph on his personal Facebook page. By late afternoon, the newspaper Dagens Nyheter had Greta’s story and face on its website. The rest is viral.

But this isn’t the full story. In emails, media entrepeneur Rentzhog told me that he “met Greta for the first time” at the parliament, and that he “did not know Greta or Greta’s parents” before then. Yet in the same emails, Rentzhog admitted to meeting Greta’s mother Malena Ernman “3-4 months before everything started”—in early May 2018, when he and Malena had shared a stage at a conference called the Climate Parliament. Nor did Rentzhog stumble on Greta’s protest by accident. He now admits to having been informed “the week before” by “a mailing list from a climate activist” named Bo Thorén, leader of the Fossil Free Dalsland group.

Independent journalist Rebecca Weidmo Uvell has obtained an earlier email from Bo Thorén’s search for fresh green faces. In February 2018, Thorén invited a group of environmental activists, academics and politicians to plan “how we can involve and get help from young people to increase the pace of the transition to a sustainable society”. In May, after Greta won second prize in an environmental op-ed writing competition run by the newspaper Svenska Dagbladet, Thorén approached all the competition winners with a plan for a “school strike”, modelled on the student walk-outs after the shootings at Parkland, Florida.
“But no one was interested,” Greta’s mother claims, “so Greta decided to do it for herself.” Fortunately, Greta’s decision coincided with the publication of Scenes from the Heart, Svante and Malena’s memoir of how saving the planet had saved their family. Unfortunately, Malena omitted to tell her publisher that Ingmar Rentzhog had commandeered Greta’s stunt. “We had a problem,” says Malena’s editor, Jonas Axelsson. “Journalists asked if it was promotion for the book. It wasn’t at all. It was a nightmare.” It was, however, a dream for Ingmar Rentzhog. When Rentzhog combined Thorén’s plan and Malena Ernman’s musical fame with Greta’s uncanny charisma and We Have No Time’s mailing list, he turned Greta into a viral celebrity. “I have not invented Greta,” Rentzhog insists, “but I helped to spread her action to an international audience.”
#15065366
Greta thunberg is a product in fact the idea of a school strike at the swedish parliament wasn't her idea but a swedish lobbyist called Bo thoren. He joined with the pr company called "we don't have time" and together started the movement using greta as a marketing tool. Then most likely latter on other organizations joined like ONE foundation.

Bo thoren was interviewed months ago in the P4 swedish radio and he admitted in that interview that he was looking for new faces to promote his agenda and he met greta thunberg and it's when it all started.



P4 radio: Tell about your connection to Greta's school strike and what happened afterwards.

Bo thoren: The link is that last year I worked on mobilizing young people in the climate issue, because there were voices that we lacked and that we needed, and at the same time greta had written a debate article in Svenska Dagbladet which was very good. So then I contacted greta and then she along with some teachers and some high school, college and university students, attended an online meeting to find out how we can mobilize young people. And then I made the suggestion that we could start a school strike before the election. And that was something that greta was inspired by.

P4 radio: When you say we, Mr bo, who is behind it?. People wonder who is it?, Who are you representing?.

Bo thoren: I am involved in an organization called fossil-free Dahlsland and have been involved in climate issues since 2013, greta has been involved for many years too but here we get a new tool that I represent.
#15065377
@Sivad

If you are dismissing her ideas because they are supported by corporate think tanks, then all the pundits that you cite should be dismissed for the same reason.

Or should we hold environmentalists to a higher standard than neoliberals?
#15065380
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Sivad

If you are dismissing her ideas because they are supported by corporate think tanks, then all the pundits that you cite should be dismissed for the same reason.

Or should we hold environmentalists to a higher standard than neoliberals?


the point is that Greta and her throngs of imbeciles are useful idiots for neoliberalism.
#15065383
Sivad wrote:the point is that Greta and her throngs of imbeciles are useful idiots for neoliberalism.


No.

That would be anthropogenic climate change deniers.

Both want governments out of the way so that corporations can continue polluting as usual.

Also Morningstar’s webpage is almost unreadable.
  • 1
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • 32
  • 37
What is intelligence?

It would also be useful to examine Evald Ilyenkov'[…]

First 2020 Debate Thread

Pretty soon, @JohnRawls will be calling on Amer[…]

What is Fascism

France decided to go nuclear. Near 100% of th[…]

This is why there have been 104 "terror attac[…]