The Popular Vote... - Page 11 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By BigSteve
Istanbuller wrote:I am expecting a landslide Trump victory. It will be a historic and huge win if impeachment talks are going to be around until election.

Impeachment inquiry for phone call with Ukrainian president? My ass. Trump rivals are so pathetic. :lol:

Idiot Democrats are going to get crushed in 2020. Impeachment talks have been batted around since the day after election day. There's no reason to think they're going to go away.

The thing is, the American people don't really see, to be interested in seeing Trump impeached, and they view the efforts of the Democrats to be a last ditch effort to be relevant. When they fail, they will have outlived their usefulness...
By Hindsite
Istanbuller wrote:I am expecting a landslide Trump victory. It will be a historic and huge win if impeachment talks are going to be around until election.

Impeachment inquiry for phone call with Ukrainian president? My ass. Trump rivals are so pathetic. :lol:

Democrat Speaker of the House announced formal impeachment inquiry without a vote in the full house and without anyone seeing the transcript of the call, which the President said will be release tomorrow. They haven't even heard the testimony from the so-called whistleblower, who it is reported does not have first hand knowledge, but was reporting concerns about a rumor.

This is really a Joe Biden scandal that could doom his chances for 2020. It looks like Pocahontas Warren will be the beneficiary.
Last edited by Hindsite on 24 Sep 2019 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
By BigSteve
The Democratic party is an absolute shit show...
BigSteve wrote:The Democratic party is an absolute shit show...

President Trump is in the process of beating Biden like a drum. :lol:
Since the US emits 15% of global GHG emissions, it would logically create a 15% reduction in the amount of GHG emissions each year.

This is far more than what you claim, @BigSteve.

And it does not even begin to address the historic amounts if CO2 that the US has emitted since 1850.
By Hindsite
Pants-of-dog wrote:Since the US emits 15% of global GHG emissions, it would logically create a 15% reduction in the amount of GHG emissions each year.

This is far more than what you claim, @BigSteve.

And it does not even begin to address the historic amounts if CO2 that the US has emitted since 1850.

Emitting CO2 is great for plant growth. Many plants are a source of food for the poor.
HalleluYah
Rich wrote:So you were wrong? I wish people who predicted the victory of Trump would have the honesty to admit that they were wrong.

You see if someone said I am certain Trump will win the Electoral College, although he may well lose the popular vote, I would have great respect them. But I'm not aware of a single person who made that prediction. So how can I respect people who so clearly were certain that Trump would win the popular vote. Its like all those idiots who were absolutely certain that the UK would leave the EU on the 29th March. Some were so cretinous that after being totally wrong about the 29th March, were then equally certain about the 22nd May.

Hands up when Trump got the nomination, I predicted that Hilary would get 350 - 400 Electoral Votes. So I was way off the mark, but I never sold it as a prophesy just as my best guess. Now someone I really respect is Nate Silver, although I don't share his politics. I think he called every State in 2012, but he immediately said that was luck, don't expect it to be repeatable.

No Rich, I wasn't wrong. The liberals were wrong and did not work on the electoral college issues in 2000 and they were wrong in 2016, thinking Obama was their symbolic great victory and all he did was underscore how ineffective real change is with a bunch of sellout politicians.

I am not wrong about how rotten politics have become in the USA. My next prediction is that unless the Democratic party dumps its establishment liberals and sellout crap they all engage in? Trump is going to be a two-term president. But by the time he finishes the second term he is going to tank the entire nation and it won't respond to anything. But that is what the USA deserves. Total burn. Lack of reflection and lack of many things. As the Chinese say the crisis is danger and opportunity.

They deserve a crisis. It is the only path to forcing change.
By Drlee
Since the US emits 15% of global GHG emissions, it would logically create a 15% reduction in the amount of GHG emissions each year.

Logic?

Explain that to me.
By Hindsite
Tainari88 wrote:No Rich, I wasn't wrong. The liberals were wrong and did not work on the electoral college issues in 2000 and they were wrong in 2016, thinking Obama was their symbolic great victory and all he did was underscore how ineffective real change is with a bunch of sellout politicians.

I am not wrong about how rotten politics have become in the USA. My next prediction is that unless the Democratic party dumps its establishment liberals and sellout crap they all engage in? Trump is going to be a two-term president. But by the time he finishes the second term he is going to tank the entire nation and it won't respond to anything. But that is what the USA deserves. Total burn. Lack of reflection and lack of many things. As the Chinese say the crisis is danger and opportunity.

They deserve a crisis. It is the only path to forcing change.

I voted for Donald Trump in 2016. However, at that time I did not realize the News Media were lying about Hillary Clinton was going to win easily and Donald Trump had no path to victory, so I believed them. Now I am skeptical of most anything the Fake News media say on politics.
By BigSteve
Rich wrote:So you were wrong? I wish people who predicted the victory of Trump would have the honesty to admit that they were wrong.

You see if someone said I am absolutely certain Trump will win the Electoral College, although he may well lose the popular vote, I would have great respect them. But I'm not aware of a single person who made that prediction. So how can I respect people who so clearly were certain that Trump would win the popular vote. Its like all those idiots who were absolutely certain that the UK would leave the EU on the 29th March. Some were so cretinous that after being totally wrong about the 29th March, were then equally certain about the 22nd May.

Hands up when Trump got the nomination, I predicted that Hilary would get 350 - 400 Electoral Votes. So I was way off the mark, but I never sold it as a prophesy just as my best guess. Now someone I really respect is Nate Silver, although I don't share his politics. I think he called every State in 2012, but he immediately said that was luck, don't expect it to be repeatable.

When I predicted Trump would win, my thought had absolutely nothing to do with the popular vote, simply because that's not how we elect a President. When I predicted a Trump victory, it was simply with regards to who would be the next President...
@BigSteve

Please explain how stooping 15% of all emissions each year magically changes to less than 1% according to your questionable source.
By Drlee
Please explain how stooping 15% of all emissions each year magically changes to less than 1% according to your questionable source.

The 15% is your number. But suppose it was true. Why do you carp on the US for 15% when the others are allowed to do much less? The obvious examples are China and India. Besides. The goal is not to reach zero GHG anytime soon but if it was the US is doing an admirable job of getting there in time.

If there is to be a massive, planet wide effort to achieve zero GHG creation then the sword must fall on everyone. Maybe you could spare a word about Brazil burning the rain forests or China building giant coal plants right now with an eye to them providing power for a generation or more.

Nope. I can't get excited about your outrage. It goes in the "too little too late" box.
I am bored of the typical whataboutism or tu quoque fallacy employed by US conservatives every time a criticism of US climate change policy comes up.

What the rest of the world does or does not do does not change the fact that the USA is doing nothing and is still one of the world’s top polluters, and is responsible for most of the accumulated co2 in the atmosphere.
By Drlee
What the rest of the world does or does not do does not change the fact that the USA is doing nothing and is still one of the world’s top polluters, and is responsible for most of the accumulated co2 in the atmosphere.

And this statement of yours is patently untrue. You keep saying it with the idea that it will become so just because you repeat yourself. But what you ought to be tired of is making the absolutely absurd and patently untrue statement "...the USA is doing nothing".

It is very hard to take you seriously when you say something so juvenile. You are either just trolling or....
The US has not ratified or signed onto any treaty or protocol to reduce emissions.

Clinton allocated a small amount of funds to R&D, but Bush rolled that back.

Obama tried to do the same, but house Republicans blocked him, so Trump did not even need to roll back that much.
By Drlee
The US has not ratified or signed onto any treaty or protocol to reduce emissions.

Clinton allocated a small amount of funds to R&D, but Bush rolled that back.

Obama tried to do the same, but house Republicans blocked him, so Trump did not even need to roll back that much.

And you will, as you ask of everyone else post sources for these.

And none of these support your contention that the US is "doing nothing". The fact is that the US started mandatory reduction of CO2 long before there was any treaty even proposed. And it continues to do that.
The USA has not ratified the Kyoto Protocol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_P ... _by_the_US

The US signed the Protocol on 12 November 1998,[94] during the Clinton presidency. To become binding in the US, however, the treaty had to be ratified by the Senate, which had already passed the 1997 non-binding Byrd-Hagel Resolution, expressing disapproval of any international agreement that did not require developing countries to make emission reductions and "would seriously harm the economy of the United States". The resolution passed 95–0.[95] Therefore, even though the Clinton administration signed the treaty,[96] it was never submitted to the Senate for ratification.

When George W. Bush was elected US president in 2000, he was asked by US Senator Chuck Hagel what his administration's position was on climate change. Bush replied that he took climate change "very seriously",[97] but that he opposed the Kyoto treaty because "it exempts 80% of the world, including major population centers such as China and India, from compliance, and would cause serious harm to the US economy."[98]

It also pulled out of the Paris agreement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... _Agreement

While it signed the Copenhagen Accord, that is a non-binding document that does not require any lowering of emissions.

Unless there is another international initiative that I have not listed and which the US is a member of, then we can agree that the first fact that I stated is true:

The USA is not a signatory to any emissions treaty.

While some individual states are, Trump has proposed to end the waiver that allows states to set their own higher standards.
Drlee wrote:The fact is that the US started mandatory reduction of CO2 long before there was any treaty even proposed. And it continues to do that.

When was that? There may have been car fuel consumption standards (American cars having been notorious gas guzzlers), but that was to reduce oil imports, not reduce CO2, so that was not "mandatory reduction of CO2". Other sources, eg electric generation, weren't affected.
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:@BigSteve

Frankly, I don't think we should be stooping anything...
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:I am bored of the typical whataboutism or tu quoque fallacy employed by US conservatives every time a criticism of US climate change policy comes up.

I don't give a fuck what you're bored of.

Having a Canadian try to lecture Americans on anything except poutine and Labatt's is stupid.

Fuck Canada. No one here cares what Canadians think...

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]