A comparison of the covid crisis deaths in US and Thailand - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

As of today the US has had over 101,560 deaths.
As of today the Thailand has had 57 deaths.
Thailand has about 1/10 the population of the US, 36M IIRC.

So, 101,560 divided by 57 = 1781.75, 1781 divided by 10 = 178.

Therefore, in raw terms Thailand's Gov. has handled this crisis over 178 times better.

I know that the US Sec. of Health and Human Services has tried to claim that the US has more people with exposure to death from it, but 1780 times more such people. (I think 1780 is the right comparison, when comparing the full total pop.)

It is far easier for me to explain this by observing that Thailand had more experience with the recent SARS epidemic, and therefore was more ready with masks and a plan.

I can tell you from my personal observations that life is mostly back to normal here in Thailand. The only effects for me are all the restaurants are carry-out only or closed, and that the local Cosco like warehouse store doesn't seem to be able to keep sausage in stock (I miss my bratwurst and the pizza with cheese sausage). Most people wear masks in public. The schools were closed normally for the "hot season" for a few weeks, but are opening now in the "rainy season" with some changes. I talked to someone who helped man the "sickness check point" in our village and she said that the reason it has been closed down for the last week or so is that they had not found a sick person for a long time.

Now, what is the additional reason that the US did so bad in my (i.e. this progressive person's) opinion, do you think?
A hint, I'm reminded of reports in 2001 & 2002 that in the summer of 2001 the CIA'a chief was running around "with his hair on fire" but the Pres. did nothing until 9/11/01.
Steve_American wrote:Thailand has about 1/10 the population of the US, 36M IIRC.
This is in error.

Thailand has 69.43 million (2018) people, so roughly just over 25% of the US population(328 million).

Steve_American wrote:Therefore, in raw terms Thailand's Gov. has handled this crisis over 178 times better.
Double that, actually.

I am not sure, though how much was luck, and how much was down to good policy and quick action.

I am not sure how accurate the SARS preparation claims are, but Thailand does have one of the better medical systems in the world. I am sure that never hurt. The people seemed to cooperate, too.

I live in NE Thailand. :D
(Depending on where you are, I can connect you to a guy to buy good meat, cheese, meat pies, etc.)

Schools haven't opened here, but were supposed to open(normally) on the first week of May. It's been put off. Maybe soon they'll start the new term.

Macro and 7-11 are doing contact tracing.

June 1 a lot of things are opening. Bars are expected to open next month. There is still a curfew from 11 PM to 4 AM, but no one is out anyways, with the bars closed.

International travel is still extremely limited, although they are opening it up if you are tested within 72 hours of flying to Thailand, have $100,000 USD health insurance, and are willing to have a nice 14 day quarantine(supervised by medical/police), upon arrival.
See The Chilling Virus Warnings Trump Ignored – Before Pandemic Outbreak | The Beat With Ari Melber
1,120,216 views • May 28, 2020
The coronavirus has upended most of the world, but there were key warnings about pandemics in general, and the virus specifically, that were often ignored, downplayed or even punished. MSNBC’s Ari Melber documents this crucial history – and what can be learned from it now – in this exhaustive special report spanning years of expert research, warnings and even the fateful final months as the virus approached the U.S. early 2020. Melber also discusses a "Cassandra effect," where some experts who got it right were sidelined and faced alleged retaliation by the Trump Administration.

Thailand got the original Wuhan virus which is more manageable than the deadly European strains that mutated in Italy and its neighbors, which translated into lower death rates in most Asian countries. Nearly 70% of New York's cases could be linked to cases collected and analyzed in Europe in February and European travellers subsequently spread the deadly strains of the coronavirus in New York and other metropolitan cities which accommodated them. Trump banned travellers from 26 European countries on March 12, which was too late to combat the spread of the virus.
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 01 Jun 2020 09:31, edited 2 times in total.
COVID is old news now. Democrats don't want people gathering in church but gathering in ways that correlate with burning buildings and looting is just fine. I doubt any of them are going to try and argue for lockdowns going forward.
ThirdTerm wrote:Thailand got the original Wuhan virus which is more manageable than the deadly European strains that mutated in Italy and its neighbors, which translated into lower death rates in most Asian countries. Nearly 70% of New York's cases could be linked to cases collected and analyzed in Europe in February and European travellers subsequently spread the deadly strains of the coronavirus in New York and other metropolitan cities which accommodated them. Trump banned travellers from 26 European countries on March 12, which was too late to combat the spread of the virus.

Just wow.
I was corrected and now think that the US has 360 times more deaths than Thailand.
You point may be totally correct.
Except for the scale of the difference.
If we assumed that the Italian strain of covidvirus is 20 times more deadly, that still makes the US response 18 times less effective than Thailand's.
And I think that the Italian strain is less than 5 times more deadly, which makes the US response 120 to 72 times less effective.

Not even @wat0n denies that the IDF and Israeli[…]

^ Wouldn't happen though, since the Israelis are n[…]

I was actually unaware :lol: Before he was […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]