Let's list good aspects of other cultures - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

These days we hear a lot of people who criticize other cultures for whatever reason, whether justified or not. I would like to discuss aspects of other cultures from non-english speaking countries that we could learn from to improve our own lives.

Please try to keep this thread positive! :)

----------
One example is that in many non-white cultures, especially in poor countries, there is a much stronger family bond than in the west. Elderly parents will live with their children instead of being sent to retirement homes, children being looked after by family members rather than strangers at daycares etc. And I have some non-white friends who won't go out to party with friends on New Years Eve but will stay home with their family to celebrate. Divorces are also less in non-western countries, for better or worse.

They also have bigger families with more children, so lots of brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews etc all playing with each other and hanging out during holidays and birthdays etc, which I wish I had growing up.
Unthinking Majority wrote:These days we hear a lot of people who criticize other cultures for whatever reason, whether justified or not. I would like to discuss aspects of other cultures from non-english speaking countries that we could learn from to improve our own lives.

Please try to keep this thread positive! :)

----------
One example is that in many non-white cultures, especially in poor countries, there is a much stronger family bond than in the west. Elderly parents will live with their children instead of being sent to retirement homes, children being looked after by family members rather than strangers at daycares etc. And I have some non-white friends who won't go out to party with friends on New Years Eve but will stay home with their family to celebrate. Divorces are also less in non-western countries, for better or worse.

They also have bigger families with more children, so lots of brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews etc all playing with each other and hanging out during holidays and birthdays etc, which I wish I had growing up.

I've never quite fully understood the need for Americans to send their old people to retirement homes and the like. I can see it being necessary for health-related reasons, yes, but ideally people would try to live close to their families, right?
Family has a much bigger priority in SE Asia.

I remember the case of a girl working at the local hotel not coming into work because she had to take care of her sick dad. That was perfectly acceptable, and in fact, encouraged. I imagine she'd have been fired in the West, as it probably wouldn't be a good excuse.

I live here partly because I like the family dynamic, that is missing in most of the West.

We almost always have a relative visiting for dinner or simply to socialize.

Another thing...
TV isn't a big deal. Socializing is done without a TV set, and every family doesn't see a tv as a requirement. They aren't on all the time, and people pay little attention to what's usually on.
wat0n wrote:I've never quite fully understood the need for Americans to send their old people to retirement homes and the like. I can see it being necessary for health-related reasons, yes, but ideally people would try to live close to their families, right?

I think some of it has to do with poverty too. People in poor countries can't afford retirement homes even if they wanted them.
Godstud wrote:Family has a much bigger priority in SE Asia.

As well as East Asia as a whole, i.e. China, Taiwan, the Koreas and Japan.

Of course, a side effect is that business and sometimes countries are run under this principle, leading to oligarchy, rampant corruption or even tyranny.

Godstud wrote:TV isn't a big deal. Socializing is done without a TV set, and every family doesn't see a tv as a requirement. They aren't on all the time, and people pay little attention to what's usually on.

True, even in more advanced societies like Hong Kong, TV is not necessary. People just pursue information or entertainment over the Internet.
I've noticed that a lot of adults I've met that grew up in sub-saharan African countries are really calm and relaxed. Apparently time isn't as big of a deal in many of those countries and people show up for appointments late all the time. It makes me realize how stressed and uptight many westerners are. Though given the economic problems in those countries maybe they're too relaxed LOL.

You can even see a difference in how west coast Americans especially from California are more relaxed and chill than east coasters.
Unthinking Majority wrote:I think some of it has to do with poverty too. People in poor countries can't afford retirement homes even if they wanted them.

Even the wealthy in most poorer countries don't send their loved ones to institutions to die alone. It's like they consider that everyone's life has a value that is greater than the things you could buy with the time you would save (on locking your parents up). Poor people's values have a much greater impact on rich people's behavior in these countries.

In rich countries, the poor learn to imitate the rich - which is a very different condition.

My positive thing is about North African culture. Males in North African cultures usually have very close friendships with other males, and they openly express love and admiration for other guys. This creates a kind of feeling of intellectual and psychological security that many other cultures could really benefit from.

North African men can sit for hours having enriching conversations with other males, and the subject matter can be very controversial, one is free to make grand statements or over-dramatize, and everyone is friends when it's time to go home.

QatzelOk wrote:My positive thing is about North African culture. Males in North African cultures usually have very close friendships with other males, and they openly express love and admiration for other guys. This creates a kind of feeling of intellectual and psychological security that many other cultures could really benefit from.

North African men can sit for hours having enriching conversations with other males, and the subject matter can be very controversial, one is free to make grand statements or over-dramatize, and everyone is friends when it's time to go home.

This makes sense, I suppose. I knew an Algerian guy in high school who wasn't very popular because he would talk in a very frank way about everything. He was also an extremely hard worker, and studied the entire time. He got the best academic results of anyone in our year group.
1 Japanese Zen and Taego Seon
2 Other Chan / Zen
3 Tibetan Buddhism
4 Other Buddhism
5 Hatha Yoga
6 Non Dual Hinduism
7 Left hand Path Hindusm
8 Right Hand Path Hinduism
9 Taoism and Yin / Yang philosophy
10 Wing Chun
11 The other Far Eastern martial arts.
12 Indian Curry
13 Chinese food
14 Thai food
15 Japanese Food
16 Yurts
17 Islamic prohibition of Alcohol
18 West Indian greater comfortability with eye contact.

That'll do for starters.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]