Technology as latest "solution" to... technology - Page 14 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

ckaihatsu wrote:Earlier in the thread you were including practically *all of human activity* as being 'technological'.

My own framework *dichotomizes* between 'humanities', and 'technology', with 'social history' being the dialectical result of the two overlapping.

Humanities-Technology Chart 2.0

Spoiler: show

What seems to really inspire you is the creation og colorful graphs based on your own personal taxonomy of stuff. In this thread, the stuff that you can use to hang values and colors on to create that chart is... technology.

And while it might be interesting to do a colored chalk drawing of a train that's heading for your tied-to-the-track body, I am only suggesting that there is more important work to be done.
QatzelOk wrote:
What seems to really inspire you is the creation og colorful graphs based on your own personal taxonomy of stuff. In this thread, the stuff that you can use to hang values and colors on to create that chart is... technology.

And while it might be interesting to do a colored chalk drawing of a train that's heading for your tied-to-the-track body, I am only suggesting that there is more important work to be done.

*Still* more anxiety-mongering / scare tactics.

What, then, do you *prioritize*? What is the 'more important work to be done'?
QatzelOk wrote:

'Shaming the meat', huh?

x D

In cultural anthropology, a leveling mechanism is a practice that acts to ensure social equality, usually by shaming or humbling members of a group that attempt to put themselves above other members.[1]

One commonly given example of a leveling mechanism is the !Kung practice of "shaming the meat", particularly as illustrated by the Canadian anthropologist Richard Borshay Lee in his article "Eating Christmas in the Kalahari" (1969).[2] When Lee gave the !Kung an ox as a Christmas gift, the !Kung responded by insulting the gift, calling it a "bag of bones" and joking that they would have to eat the horns because there was no meat on it. Lee later asked a man named Tomazo why his gift was insulted in this way. He responded that it was because the gift was arrogant. Lee asked what he meant by this and was told:

"Yes, when a young man kills much meat he comes to think of himself as a chief or a big man, and he thinks of the rest of us as his servants or inferiors. We can’t accept this. We refuse one who boasts, for someday his pride will make him kill somebody. So we always speak of his meat as worthless. This way we cool his heart and make him gentle."

— Tomazo, "Eating Christmas in the Kalahari" [2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leveling_mechanism
QatzelOk wrote:And while it might be interesting to do a colored chalk drawing of a train that's heading for your tied-to-the-track body, I am only suggesting that there is more important work to be done.

The destiny of humanity seems to be to create AI so powerful that it is able to self-improve at ever-increasing rates in intelligence and design (the so-called "technological singularity"), which will result in an explosion of knowledge and technological discovery beyond anything we could ever imagine or hope to comprehend.

We will have created a new life form from nothing but bits of silicon and minerals in the earth. We will have created the offspring to our species, our ultimate evolution and the inheritor of all of our hopes and dreams, and packed its lunch and set it forth into the universe, which it will explore for us, and hopefully with us...if we ask nicely. If your destination is the stars, it will be yours some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibiNy4d4gc :excited:
Unthinking Majority wrote:
What if we weren't visited by the Monolith. What if we are its creators?

cHWs3c3YNs4

oU4Rk0NATNs

Yeah, it's a good point -- the premise of 2001: A Space Odyssey is a propagandistic *slight* against all of the engineering *labor* that's gone into making the U.S. as technologically advanced as it is (back in the '70s).
You mean like "workers didn't create any of this, a big alien block did"?

Correct, though there's also the political take that all technical-type advisors to the bosses are essentially playing a *political* role since there's technology already existing that could make life modern and easy for *everyone*, but which would usurp the capitalist-markets game and thus threaten the bourgeois power-base in society.
Unthinking Majority wrote:The destiny of humanity seems to be to create AI so powerful that it is able to self-improve at ever-increasing rates in intelligence and design (the so-called "technological singularity"), which will result in an explosion of knowledge and technological discovery beyond anything we could ever imagine or hope to comprehend.

I am as excited by this as I am by the creation of new tactical nukes, and gain-of-cause viruses.

Which one will kill everyone first?, is the only question.

Being unable to see a pattern makes the next "event" more exciting, so I guess marketing departments all over the world have always wanted us to be as blind as we are to "patterns."
QatzelOk wrote:I am as excited by this as I am by the creation of new tactical nukes, and gain-of-cause viruses.

Which one will kill everyone first?, is the only question.

Being unable to see a pattern makes the next "event" more exciting, so I guess marketing departments all over the world have always wanted us to be as blind as we are to "patterns."

It's in our nature to be curious, to build a better boat so we can cross the sea to see what's on the other side. We're human, our instincts can't be stopped, there's nothing you or I or anyone can do about it. This is our destiny, this is nature's function. Since fish crawled from the sea onto the shore.

If our destiny is to destroy ourselves by creating our next evolution (the machines that will kill us), so be it. Neanderthals went extinct long ago and here we are. Homo sapiens are one in a long line of decreasingly hairy apes. Humans are neurochemically compelled to fuck and procreate. Pack your child's lunch and send it off to school.

Long live machine
The future supreme
Man overthrown
Spit out the bone

Unthinking Majority wrote:It's in our nature to be curious, to build a better boat... death metal

The Italian futurists said that the most beautiful way to die was in a car collision.

And yet there are very few oil paintings of car collisions hanging in the art galleries of Italy.

So if the main advantage of technology for you is that it's scary like Halloween costumes and nightmares, then perhaps we are on the same page afterall. :lol:
QatzelOk wrote:The Italian futurists said that the most beautiful way to die was in a car collision.

And yet there are very few oil paintings of car collisions hanging in the art galleries of Italy.

So if the main advantage of technology for you is that it's scary like Halloween costumes and nightmares, then perhaps we are on the same page afterall. :lol:

That's it, i'm buying you a Playstation 5 for Christmas.
Unthinking Majority wrote:That's it, i'm buying you a Playstation 5 for Christmas.

All those exciting games with very risky situations that put you in the center of the action....

...played in Mom's basement alone. (this is scary at many levels)
QatzelOk wrote:All those exciting games with very risky situations that put you in the center of the action....

...played in Mom's basement alone. (this is scary at many levels)
Yes, and now there's an opportunity for military propaganda. Young people unsatisfied by the consumer side of digital distractions can join the marines and fight for the great technopoly

:eek: When I first saw this advertisement I thought it was a trailer for a new Philip K Dick spin-off or something. How frightening is this kind of PR campaign? It teasingly admits where we are culturally, then dialectically offers a solution which preys on strong willed warrior personalities. Better to seduce warrior types than let em simmer unintegrated in a Technocracy. Cutting edge stuff.
QatzelOk wrote:
The Italian futurists said that the most beautiful way to die was in a car collision.

That's it, i'm buying you a Playstation 5 for Christmas.

Death by Playstation 5.

= D
ckaihatsu wrote:Death by Playstation 5.

Best song of my generation about the virtual death of a life spent interacting with screens:

Listen boys and girls about the other world, it's just a
Day job, night job, odd job, nose job
H**d job, b**w job, rack job, snow job
Boring nine to five job, rather have a knob job...

(followed by list of TV programs of the 70s and 80s which, by the way, were a technological "solution" to the suburban technology that we were so bored in, which itself was a "solution" to the problem of cars needing a lot of space, which was...)
QatzelOk wrote:
(followed by list of TV programs of the 70s and 80s which, by the way, were a technological "solution" to the suburban technology that we were so bored in, which itself was a "solution" to the problem of cars needing a lot of space, which was...)

Oh, okay, so your line is that you object to *capitalist technological teleology'. That makes sense. I'll just caution, again, that consumer technologies can be very *positive* for people, such as the wealth of *information* on the Internet, which you've admitted to be beneficial, and even enjoyable, for yourself.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

They do know that entering a foreign country with[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous[…]

Anomie: in societies or individuals, a conditi[…]

@FiveofSwords " black " Genetically[…]