The Tipping Point. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Torus34
This site has, in the past, been host to some rather well-considered and thought-filled discussions of a number of political topics. Here's one to think about.

We hear and read lots about a pollution 'tipping point' and the possibility of an irreversible climate change. Not too many days go by without some journalist having a piece on it somewhere in the media. There's another tipping point in the world of politics which is specific to the United States of America. It's buried away in the US Constitution and its Amendments. It's of particular interest, I should think, in these highly polarized days in which political parties seem more and more inclined to take a 'no holds barred' approach to obtaining and retaining power.

I contend that it is possible for one political party, using the lawful application of the Constitution and the required approval of state governments where indicated, to assume full one-party control of the United States federal government. I'm not talking about control of the federal House, Senate and presidency. That has occurred time and time again for limited periods. I mean full control, with no say whatever for the other party, either in the government or at the polls. In other words, the establishment of a one-party state.

It's an interesting thing to explore.

We hear and read a lot about a 'tipping point' with regard to atmospheric pollution and an irreversible climate change. I contend that, within the Constitution of the United States of America and its amendments, one can find a tipping point at which a political party can, using the Constitution itself and sufficient control of State government legislatures and governorships, establish permanent one-party rule. Having some idea of just what is involved, especially in this politically contentious, apparently no holds barred days, should be made common knowledge.

An informed public ...

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.
By ness31
Do you mean by stacking the Supreme Court? Help out us non American folk.
By Torus34
ness31 wrote:Do you mean by stacking the Supreme Court? Help out us non American folk.

Hi!

Thank you for the question. An American, it's easy for me to forget that our Constitution and our politics might be as confusing to someone from elsewhere as, say the English game of Cricket is to us.

'Packing' or 'stacking' the Supreme Court refers to attempts to increase the number of justices beyond the present number of 9 or, alternately, fill vacant seats with highly ideological replacements. It is a part of the route to a legal conversion to a one-party nation.

Several additional conditions must be in place for that to happen. One is to be able to enact amendments to the Constitution at will. This can only be done when one party controls enough individual state governments to permit ratification of amendments. Once ratified, an amendment becomes the law of the land. A party with the goal of a single party nation also requires a loyal voter base. In the early stages, a highly charismatic president is part of the requirements. A willingness on the part of the public to accept changes in their government, perhaps under the guise of protecting the nation from 'them', is also needed.

Hopefully, that's enough information to give you a good idea of what I'm concerned about in my country. There have been a number of takeovers of otherwise democratic countries in the past. There are recognizable patterns in how they changed from democracies to one-party nations. We can see this process occurring today in Hungary, Turkey and perhaps Poland. I do not include Russia, for democracy never had a chance to take hold in that country.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.
By Sivad
Article V - Amendment Process

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.
By Torus34
Sivad wrote:Article V - Amendment Process

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Yup! That's part of what must be overcome for the emergence of a one-party country. There are other steps necessary, too. Note that the rules of the Senate can be changed by a sufficient majority. Those rules can have the effect of relegating members of another party to the back benches for good.

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Yes, and that conditional statement is not necessa[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pAf3aBt18 How […]