The language and attacks of American political dialogue. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

anna wrote:It was actually President Obama who was the target of the "you lie!" yelled out by SC rep Joe Wilson. I couldn't remember the year though, and had to look it up. 2009.

It's been the last five years though that have changed the game, perhaps irrevocably. There are many millions of Americans who said Trump "spoke for them." They loved his coarseness, they called it strength. They loved his insults, called it honesty, loved his chaotic disdain for the rule of law, called it patriotism, loved his protection of the rich and the white, called it restoring America.

Hi!

Thank you for the correction. It was during a State of the Union speech by then-President Obama.

That there are many of my fellow Americans who are swayed by populist authoritarianism is certainly cause for concern. We have not done as good a job as we should have in providing an informed public capable of making wise choices at the ballot box.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
anna wrote:It was actually President Obama who was the target of the "you lie!" yelled out by SC rep Joe Wilson. I couldn't remember the year though, and had to look it up. 2009.

So Prez Obama was called a liar a year after he helped banksters steal trillions of tax dollars?

Did anyone yell "thief" or "murderer" as well, just for balance?

Or were they too afraid of being killed by one of his drones?
QatzelOk wrote:So Prez Obama was called a liar a year after he helped banksters steal trillions of tax dollars?

Did anyone yell "thief" or "murderer" as well, just for balance?

Or were they too afraid of being killed by one of his drones?

He was called a lot of things, because we have a lot of racists in the U.S.

There is no purity in politics, is that what you're seeking? Purity?
anna wrote:He was called a lot of things, because we have a lot of racists in the U.S.

So when his regime made sure Libya got destroyed by Western thugs, anyone who criticized this genocidal attack on the most developed nation in Africa... was racist for not letting FirstBlackPrezTM destroy other countries like a white POTUS?

There is no purity in politics, is that what you're seeking? Purity?

Oh but there is. It's called "pure mercenary politics" and it's all that's left of the USA political class.

Prostitutes are "mercenary sex partners" so there really needs to be a good name for "mercenary political leaders" that has the same ring to it.
QatzelOk wrote:So when his regime made sure Libya got destroyed by Western thugs, anyone who criticized this genocidal attack on the most developed nation in Africa... was racist for not letting FirstBlackPrezTM destroy other countries like a white POTUS?

Racists loathed President Obama because he was Black, they didn't care about Libya, not one bit about Libya. Or any country in the Middle East except Israel. You can take that to the bank.

For myself, we should never have been in the Middle East. Never. Regardless the color of the POTUS.

Oh but there is. It's called "pure mercenary politics" and it's all that's left of the USA political class.

Prostitutes are "mercenary sex partners" so there really needs to be a good name for "mercenary political leaders" that has the same ring to it.

And yet we still have to vote into the office the person least likely to do the most damage. Purity politics kills that, it says there are no good politicians, so why vote at all... But you do the best you can with what you have so you don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.
anna wrote:Racists loathed President Obama because he was Black, they didn't care about Libya...

Do YOU care about Libya's destruction (or Syria's)?

Or do you "defend it" because it was overseen by a president whose skin color made you feel progressive?

What other human atrocities can "progressive skin color presidents" get you to sign off on? Powerful interests want to know...

PS. Looks like Angela Davis can kiss her chances of being a presidential candidate goodbye...

What did SHE do wrong, anna?
QatzelOk wrote:Do YOU care about Libya's destruction (or Syria's)?

Or do you "defend it" because it was overseen by a president whose skin color made you feel progressive?

What other human atrocities can "progressive skin color presidents" get you to sign off on? Powerful interests want to know...

What part of "For myself, we should never have been in the Middle East. Never. Regardless the color of the POTUS" did you not understand?

PS. Looks like Angela Davis can kiss her chances of being a presidential candidate goodbye...

What did SHE do wrong, anna?

What part of "they didn't care about Libya, not one bit about Libya. Or any country in the Middle East except Israel. You can take that to the bank" did you not understand?

Yes, your strawman was "racists," and apparently, "they didn't care about Libya, they just wanted to criticize poor Obama."

Why? Because they were racists.

So if I don't like the bombing of Libya and the destruction of the most developed country in Africa, and the assassination of yet another African leader (by Obama), then I am just doing "what the racists" would want me to do.

Is this the strawman argument you are outing? :lol:
QatzelOk wrote:Is this the strawman argument you are outing? :lol:

Strawman:
QatzelOk wrote:Do YOU care about Libya's destruction (or Syria's)?

Strawman:

Strawman:

All of the above have nothing to do the fact that people called President Obama a lot of things because he was racist. I already told you that regardless of the color of the POTUS we should never have been in the ME, why isn't that good enough for you?

You attack me for "defending" something I haven't defended. Strawman.

What *I* think about Angela Davis being blocked from speaking has nothing to do with any of this, yet you somehow imply I'd approve? Strawman.

How far out in the weeds to you want to go with this?
anna wrote:Strawman:

Let me show you a HUUGE strawman.

While Obama was killing people with drones, destroying Africa with armed assaults, and giving trillions of tax dollars to crooked banksters.... people like yourself were crying "racist!" everytime anyone criticized these things.

How useless. And very strawman.

LIkewise, strawmen like this (your strawman) are an important part of late-capitalism's political dialogue (unfortunately for democracy and intelligent conversations).

Israel won't comply because one of their explicit[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]

People tend to forget that the French now have a […]

It is easy to tell the tunnel was made of pre fab[…]