America (USA) is as United as N. Korea (DPRK) is a Democratic Republic. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

America (USA) is as United as N. Korea (DPRK) is a Democratic Republic.

Hard truth: America is not United at all as evidenced by its refusal to update its obsolete electorial college system for Presidential elections because this allows state partisanship and the continued political polarisation of America. (Electorial college system to select senators remains valid however).

I think that in the 18-19th century, the USA president was not so important to states because he dealt mainly with foreign affairs and states were mostly locally governed with little central control, so despite inter-state political polarisation, America could still function because relative to landmass and communication methods, there was still so much unexplored territory to explore into. (Fastest mail service (pony express) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_Express in 1860 took 10 days and telegraph service wasn't even available yet).

Today however, a coast to coast plane flight takes just over 3 hours and people can conveniently organise mob raids on capitol hill, cheered on by a sitting President (Trump) who had lost the 2016 popular vote.

As I understand, there is little interest by either democrats nor republicans to upgrade the USA presidential election system into a popular vote form, because on either side, state legislatures want the states to remain polarised as either pure republican or pure democratic and possibly their constituents are either blinded by their own bias or want to maintain the polarised presidential electorial college system to maintain their own states extreme partisan status and thus resistant to the ideas or communication with the opposite camp.

The USA is thus a very polarised country on the verge of civil war because it is run by 2 separate political ideologies with very little intention of speaking nicely to each other and instead do battle in the courts (like how Donald Trump side scurrilously accused the 2020 elections of being 'stolen') and also justified his encouragement of mobs 6th January 2021 storming of Capitol Hill using a multitude of social media options on a large scale.

The Americans are thus still a rather tribal, quarrelsome people with a perchant for guns and other heavy weapons (like aircraft carriers) which they send across the world to terrorise states with smaller armies and fewer weapons.

It is known that the USA has proportionally, one of the world's most people serving in jail.

The two political divides trive in polarising their respective populations and have no interest in Uniting America seem to be in a common conspiracy to divide America to advance their own selfish self interest and unfortunately this polarisation has reached such extremes that mobs had no qualms storming and attempting to demolish capitol hill, the seat of democracy and checks on the president himself.

Just like North Korea names itself Democratic People's Republic of Korea, North Korea is about as democratic as the USA is United.

Both are fraudulent names too false to deceive the international audience and all people of the world can just wait a little longer to see these self deluded or deceptive states collapse into themselves.

Until and unless America can return to democracy by having a true popular vote elected president elected, it will remain a weak state driven by its own internal prejudices, stereotypes and bias destroying democracy and further dividing the people.

America is a politically divided country, the world is weakened under its rule.
Patrickov wrote:The French president is elected by direct popular vote but I don't see it more united than the United States.

Depends on what is meant by united . I don't expect everyone to be of one monolithic mind , but I do expect the various parties to be able to reach common consensus in setting public policy . Also , in the United States , we can't even agree on what the facts are , with those on the hard right having different sources of news media than the rest of the population .
Deutschmania wrote:Depends on what is meant by united . I don't expect everyone to be of one monolithic mind , but I do expect the various parties to be able to reach common consensus in setting public policy . Also , in the United States , we can't even agree on what the facts are , with those on the hard right having different sources of news media than the rest of the population .

Yup, united in hatred for each other and too childish till the state of being unable to agree to disagree.

The issue of alternative facts is another bad omen to show how deep the hatred is now.

Each side is too deep in hatred towards the other that they both cannot focus on achieving good for the country and good for the world.
Unthinking Majority wrote:The 50 states that make up the US are united in a legal union called a federation That's all it means.

It is very sad fore to see how each side is seeking to 'take over the federation' at the expense of the opposite side; the whole American presidency has now become a political football.

Every day that passes, the world is getting more and more unstable as America itself is convulsed by internal 'civil war'.
Extending the franchise in the United States of America has been a long and at times bitter and deadly struggle. The writers of the original Constitution, that document idolized by today's 'conservatives', were deeply suspicious of the great unwashed and restricted voting to male [white] property owners. They were also much concerned with 'factions' [See Federalist Paper # 1 et. seq.,] and on that point were quite right.

My fellow Americans, while tut-tutting about the ancient rivalry between Shiite and Sunni Muslims, seem oblivious to the parallel with our own libs and cons. Tribalism, it seems, is the stopping point in the progression from self -> spouse -> family -> village -> tribe -> nation for many.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
BicCherry wrote:Yup, united in hatred for each other and too childish till the state of being unable to agree to disagree.

The issue of alternative facts is another bad omen to show how deep the hatred is now.

Each side is too deep in hatred towards the other that they both cannot focus on achieving good for the country and good for the world.

Eh, I don't think it's as bad as all that.

... Well, except maybe OR, WA, ID, MT natives hating on Californians who keep moving to their states. And okay, there is that "Florida Man" problem. And the ongoing issue of the inland states hating on the east and west coast states, and the fact that Alabama can never catch a break (nor does it deserve to). Maybe the only thing that holds us together is tourist season.
Patrickov wrote:
Not for you, sure, but I suspect those whose ideologies are against yours are much more eager to engage in one.

The American Right always has a few clowns that want to be Rambo. Problem is, none of them are.

If Trump had guts, he would have led his troops into battle against the Congress. He hid.

The recent attacks against Asians? The victims have been women and the elderly. That's because the attackers are cowards.

They're fractal fakes. At any scale you look, it's always fake.
late wrote:The American Right always has a few clowns that want to be Rambo. Problem is, none of them are.

If Trump had guts, he would have led his troops into battle against the Congress. He hid.

The recent attacks against Asians? The victims have been women and the elderly. That's because the attackers are cowards.

They're fractal fakes. At any scale you look, it's always fake.

I am actually referring to those people who actually assaulted Congressors earlier this year, and the murderer who killed innocent Asians a few days ago.

My opinion that they would fight a civil war does not mean I think they are brave. To me, their side's reason of invoking a civil war is exactly to attack (relatively) innocent people, i.e. the likes of you. They think this behaviour make them look like Rambo.
Patrickov wrote:
I am actually referring to those people who actually assaulted Congressors earlier this year, and the murderer who killed innocent Asians a few days ago.

My opinion that they would fight a civil war does not mean I think they are brave. To me, their side's reason of invoking a civil war is exactly to attack (relatively) innocent people, i.e. the likes of you. They think this behaviour make them look like Rambo.

The American Right has a very long history of killing...

Now that Trump is gone, the FBI is off the leash. They are pursuing those guys with everything they have, and can borrow.

I need to explain. This is cyclical. Politicians and propagandists will keep cranking up the rhetoric until something awful happens, like the OK City bombing. Then they back off for a while.

That cycle is gone, because the pros have been replaced by amateurs. This is actually bad for the kooks, because the long arm of the law will come down on them like ten ton of bricks.

At that point, they will start whining. And the cycle will resume...
late wrote:Now that Trump is gone, the FBI is off the leash. They are pursuing those guys with everything they have, and can borrow.

Sorry for drifting off a bit.

Why do you think the current administration cannot keep them at bay, while incompetent assholes like Trump's can?
Patrickov wrote:
Sorry for drifting off a bit.

Why do you think the current administration cannot keep them at bay, while incompetent assholes like Trump's can?

What??

They are Trump's Cult of Personality.

Forget Biden, this is what the FBI does. They have brought lunatics to heel in nearly every decade since they started. Because Trump kept the FBI off their back, they got delusions of competence.

That's about to change.
late wrote:What??

They are Trump's Cult of Personality.

Forget Biden, this is what the FBI does. They have brought lunatics to heel in nearly every decade since they started. Because Trump kept the FBI off their back, they got delusions of competence.

That's about to change.

Ah, sorry, I misread that. I thought you said FBI was going to pursue someone else.

I dont know if you recall, but la loca MTG at one[…]

How about Russia uses a battle field nuclear we[…]

@Tainari88 , @Godstud @Rich , @Verv , @Po[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 29, Friday Mackenzie King wins Canadian el[…]