Consciousness-raising 101. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Torus34
[Quoting myself from another source:]

"Few are those who would not concede that our society here in the United States of America stands in need of improvement in some areas. The problem, though, is getting enough people aware enough of a specific problem so that they'll work toward a solution or at least an amelioration of the specific issue. I could stand on a soapbox in Washington Square and shout about this or that problem 'til I'm hoarse to no avail. People are not that interested, in the normal course of events, to pay attention.

"Some sort of lever -- a tool, if you please -- is needed to actually raise general consciousness. Happily, such a lever exists. It's the deep red/blue rivalry -- almost tribal -- currently gripping the US.*

"Think I'm just talking nonsense? Consider the present brouhaha surrounding Governor Andrew Cuomo regarding how he relates to women and how he acts -- interacts? -- with them. [Ed.: It's also grown to include President Joseph Biden.] Republicans have come alive big time in putting Governor Cuomo down. 'Conservative' talk show radio is a-buzz with comments, both by the hosts and by their call-in enablers. Suddenly, certain ways in which men interact with women are sexist, big time. Enough to call for the Governor's removal. Note carefully that the conservatives/Republicans showed little concern, if any, over similar instances involving Mr. Donald Trump.

"Lest a reader assume that this old scribbler's pro-lib or anti-Trump, be aware that I've chosen to use but one current example. It does not matter whether one or the other party is cast in whatever light. The argument remains the same.

"And what argument is that? Simply that the lever that can be used for consciousness-raising is the willingness of those who identify with one party to vilify someone of the other party when he/she provides a high-profile example of lack of consciousness of a societal issue.

"* Ed.: The similarity of 'US', standing for the United States of America and 'us', standing for the hoi polloi, should not be lost on the reader.

"Regards, stay safe 'n well."
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]