Is the West being destroyed by the 7 deadly sins? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

First enumerated by Pope Gregory I (the Great) in the 6th century and elaborated in the 13th century by St. Thomas Aquinas, they are (1) vainglory, or pride, (2) greed, or covetousness, (3) lust, (4) envy, (5) gluttony, which is usually understood to include drunkenness, (6) wrath, or anger, and (7) sloth.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/seven-deadly-sins

Is the West being destroyed by the 7 deadly sins? I would say so. In fact, they seem to be the root of virtually all problems I can think of.

How to cure it?:

Each of these can be overcome with the seven corresponding virtues of (1) humility, (2) charity, (3) chastity, (4) gratitude, (5) temperance, (6) patience, and (7) diligence.[/i]

Chastity I might just replace with "wrap it up".
If a group of good citizens pooled in billions of dollars, maybe they could buy out the corrupt media and get rid of the studios who are producing the garbage that people are consuming like hotcakes. A lot of media just encourages people to want fast money, to be vain, jealous, lazy, etc.

No one really thought that progress could make the world more corrupt. All these conveniences like smart phones, smart cars, smart tv, robots...it has ruined both young and old generations, but especially the young. I think a lot of the older generation still remembers and cherishes the worth of working hard and earning something good. Kids who are born in the digital age do not fully understand the kind of suffering that went on before the rise of digitalization.

I still believe in working hard because of my traditional upbringing thanks to my parents. They have always been hard working and I had to work hard to get to where I am now. And I will have to continue to work hard to reach my future goals.

@Unthinking Majority
So I think the cure is to stop the corruption by bringing down the evil influences. But that process will be a gradual one if anyone wants to bring the influences down. In the process, people will lose work because a lot of people are earning a living off of the evil influences.

Gosh, I sound like a "holier than thou" type. :lol:
Unthinking Majority wrote:https://www.britannica.com/topic/seven-deadly-sins

Is the West being destroyed by the 7 deadly sins? I would say so. In fact, they seem to be the root of virtually all problems I can think of.

How to cure it?:

Chastity I might just replace with "wrap it up".

Hi!

If we accept that human nature is just that, and that it applies to all of h. sapiens, then not only the 'West' but also the 'East', 'North' and 'South' are at equal risk.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
Unthinking Majority wrote:

They seem to be the root of human nature if you ask me.

Our 'success' or otherwise for humanity and civilization depends only on the degree that we can temper these behaviours, and channel them for good. Except maybe sloth. I'm not entirely sure what that means.

[/quote]
from Skipping towards Gomorrah, by Dan Savage wrote:Interestingly, the seven deadly sins aren't mentioned anywhere in the bible, which may come as a surprise to some readers-- it certainly came as a surprise to me. While I'd never run across the seven deadly sins while reading the bible, I nevertheless assumed that the seven deadly sins were in the bible somewhere, perhaps in a psalm i'd somehow missed or in the director's cut of the Sermon on the Mount. But the collective idea of the seven deadly sins, as it turns out, has its roots in the pre-Judeo-Christian era, and the sources for the tradition are not at all clear-cut. Most scholars believe that the roots of the seven deadly sins lie in a conflation of Babylonian astronomy, which argued that the cosmos was a series of seven spheres with earth at the center, and the Greek belief that the soul descends from Heaven, acquiring sin as it takes on a mortal body.
The earliest list of seven sins appears in the Greek Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs: Testament of Reuben, supposedly written byReuben one of the twelve patriarchs of the tribes of Israel, around 106 B.C. Another list of deadly sins was drawn up by Horace, the Roman poet (65-8 B.C.) who ticked off eight mortal crimes or passions: avarice, desire, vanity, envy, wrath, sloth, drunkenness, and sensuality. It wasn't until Evagrius of Pontus (d. ca. 400), an early Christian monk who lived in Egypt, made his list of eight cardinal sins that a list of non-biblical sins entered the Christian tradition. Evagrius served for a time as archdeacon of Constantinople before travelling to Jerusalem and then into the Nitrian Desert to become a hermit. It was a more gregarious monk, John Cassian (d. ca. 435), who brought Evagrius' list from Egypt to Europe. In his De Institutos Coenobrium (ca. 420) Cassian listed Evagrius' eight sins: gluttony, lust, avarice, wrath, sadness, sloth, vainglory and pride. (Fun fact: Cassian considered the first two sins, lust and gluttony, "natural", since the existence of humanity depends, to some extent, on eating and fucking.)
It was Saint Gregory the Great (Pope Gregory I, d. 604) who cut Evagrius' eight cardinal sins down to seven, as he added envy to the list, eliminated vainglory and merged sadness with sloth. But Gregory's list of seven deadly sins-- pride, anger, greed, envy, sloth, gluttony and lust -- was unknown outside of monastic circles until the Catholic Church made confession mandatory in the early part of the thirteenth century. Parsh priests in England were instructed to teach their parishioners about the seven deadly sins after 1231, in the hopes that their parishioners would have less to confess if they knew what to avoid. That is what transformed the seven deadly sins from a Dark Ages obscurity to a pop culture phenomenon, insofar as pop culture existed in the thirteenth century

So essentially the point I have to say is that, Such a list as the seven deadly sins is created as a matter of convenience, and its form can alter depending on what one wishes to view as sinful.
"The following condition is seen as most reprehensible to me and I shall consider it sinful"
In my estimation, if i could select a sin that would be most destructive today, it would be Ignorance.... unfortunately this is a sin where one who suffers from it feels no contrition and thus it has no remedy.
Rugoz wrote:Christianity taught us this nonsense that only excess is a vice and not also deficiency.

To be fair such ideas can be found in Buddhism, Hinduism and possibly Zoroastrianism. Some people have even labelled Jainism as edging towards abstemiousness.

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]