This is why I hate modern Art! - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

https://www.metro.co.uk/2021/05/12/new-piccadilly-circus-design-by-david-hockney-mocked-online-14568460/amp/

I have seen some shit, but Hockney has taken the piss. Emin and her sex tent and Hirst and his shark boxes are bad enough, but when we have tube signs that actually look like a five year old did it, then you have to question the sanity of the person who signs these things off and puts them on tube lines. There was a time the UK were leaders in design, but if we have to resort to this crap to look 'modern' then perhaps we should just leave the look of the signs alone. :hmm:
Last edited by B0ycey on 13 May 2021 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
B0ycey wrote:https://www.metro.co.uk/2021/05/12/new-piccadilly-circus-design-by-david-hockney-mocked-online-14568460/amp/

I have seen some shit, but Hockney has taken the piss. Emin and her sex tent and Hirst and his shark boxes are bad enough but when we have tube signs that actually look like a five year old did it, then you have to question the sanity of the person who signs these things off and puts them on t8be lines. There was a time the UK were leaders in design, but if we have to resort to this crap to look 'modern' then perhaps we should just leave the look if the signs alone. :hmm:

I think one of the reasons most modern art sucks, is because it's basically like hipsters. It has nothing to say. It doesn't stand for much.

WHen people say, why do we hate hispters? It's because they stand for nothing but vanity and being cool. The hippies stood for something. Punk rockers stood for something. Hipsters? They just want to be cool.

That is what modern art is, and thus, soulless.
Rancid wrote:I think one of the reasons most modern art sucks, is because it's basically like hipsters. It has nothing to say. It doesn't stand for much.

WHen people say, why do we hate hispters? It's because they stand for nothing but vanity and being cool. The hippies stood for something. Punk rockers stood for something. Hipsters? They just want to be cool.

That is what modern art is.

Modern art is all about the shock value. That is to say what is the easiest way to get people talking about your work. Modern artists are lazy in the sense that the easiest way to do that is make a pile of shit which is what they do. The times of Dali, Bacon, Walpole etc who did likewise whilst actually creating an aesthetically pleading image and some effort into what they did are over it seems. I am sure you will get Lord Snooty say how wonderful this crap is. Most normal people will just hope Banksy comes along and covers this shit with his graffiti. Also, Khan hang your head in shame. Is this what you asked for when you wanted to promote London?
I'm sure that there has been more than one occasion where someone has managed to sell their toddler's finger paintings to a contemporary art gallery. This is just more of that, as far as I can tell. :lol:
Rugoz wrote:Hitler hated modern art too.

:lol: :D

This reminds me of how Fox News criticized Biden's support for better child care help and better paternity. Fox News pointed out that the USSR had free day care. Free day care cannot be good if the USSR did it! :lol:
Last edited by Rancid on 13 May 2021 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Heisenberg wrote:"[Hitler] knew what he was talking about"

Even the evil can become geniuses under the right conditions Heisenberg. Hitler was an artist. He did know what he was talking about when it come to art. He though perhaps went a bit OTT when it came to the Bauhaus.
Rugoz wrote:People's conception of modern art comes primarily from tabloid newspapers, because nobody actually visits modern art exhibitions, or any kind of art exhibitions for that matter.

You're having a laugh aren't you! Tate modern gets 6 million visitors a year!!! Too many Lord Snootys out there with cash to burn. If Hockney actually smeared shit onto a wall and said that had something to do with representing the times the Thames was a ceasepit, Khan would still say this art was amazing and so would the art world. When art becomes more about a name than the art itself, you have a problem. That is why we have this shit. People don't look at the work but what they can personally get out of it.
B0ycey wrote:Sorry, what was that? You want me to keep going? He was a great artist. :lol:

A German Picasso whose canvas was the map of Europe, you say? A master of the avant-garde, who pushed the boundaries of what other artists thought possible? :eek:
Heisenberg wrote:"[Hitler] knew what he was talking about" - @B0ycey, May 2021.

:eek: :excited:

:excited:

Mayor of London called this Brilliant. :lol:

I wonder if he genuinely believes that or whether he is trying to sell a £7 MILLION white elephant to the public. Reading some of the tweets, this isn't getting much love on there. But considering the money spent on this, I found one of the tweets quite interesting given it said that this promoting London campaign could have been a children's competition with the proceeds going to the school. I wonder how Khan can criticise Johnson for his Downing Street refurb now given the money he gave away into this project. :hmm:
There was a wonderful character named Eldin in an old tv show called Murphy Brown. He did murals in the old WPA style. If you've ever been in an old school, and they had a mural of some scene that glorified farming, or some such thing, you've seen WPA art.

Anyway, Eldin got offered a room in a gallery to show off one of his works. He painted a mural on the ceiling. So a pod of 'art lovers' rush into the room, and try to figure out what the piece was. One of them thought it was the light switch. Another thought the absence of art was itself the statement being made. Eldin quickly goes from dismayed to disgusted. He stands there, head down, silently pointing up, and everybody in the room goes Ooooohhh!.

Back home he is having a fit, saying he would pay to keep them from having his art, when a art dealer represent a Japanese company offers him a million bucks for it.

This was in the 80s, when you could retire quite comfortably on a million bucks.

So he took the money, who wouldn't? But that stirs up an identity crisis, hopefully some future post will give me an excuse to talk about that.

https://vintagraph.com/collections/wpa-posters
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

ISIS wants to create a division between Chechens […]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]