Foucault forgotten - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By late
"One of Foucault’s key concepts, “biopolitics,” an account of the way that modern state power involves itself in the biological life of its citizens, was amply illustrated by the various governmental responses to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The place of Foucault in 2021 is not just a matter of academic interest; his changing position tells us a great deal about recent evolutions of both the left and the right. Taken together, the essays tell a story that’s surprising at first but reasonable once you accept its premises: If Foucault’s thought offers a radical critique of all forms of power and administrative control, then as the cultural left becomes more powerful and the cultural right more marginal, the left will have less use for his theories, and the right may find them more insightful.

That makes his work useful to any movement at war with established “power-knowledge,” to use Foucauldian jargon, but dangerous and somewhat embarrassing once that movement finds itself responsible for the order of the world. And so the ideological shifts of the pandemic era, the Foucault realignment, tells us something significant about the balance of power in the West — where the cultural left increasingly understands itself as a new establishment of “power-knowledge”

But the older conservative critique of relativism’s corrosive spirit is still largely correct. Which is why, even when it lands telling blows against progressive power, much of what seems postmodern about the Trump-era right also seems wicked, deceitful, even devilish."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/25/opinion/michel-foucault.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
By late
wat0n wrote:
What's your point here @late? I can deduce several ideas from that so I'd appreciate some clarity here.

Couple points, one that politics has you changing your dance partners occasionally, the other that you can take a good idea too far. Oooops, I goofed, there's a third. The Right used to argue against relativism passionately, and vehemently.

But mostly, it's interesting. I hope to run across a longer piece that goes into it deeper. Guess I should have clicked on the link in the article. Maybe later.

While I advocate, I also curate; part of being in a democracy is knowing enough to make good choices. Having made a lot of choices, both good and bad, perspective is something I hope to contribute.
By wat0n
late wrote:Couple points, one that politics has you changing your dance partners occasionally, the other that you can take a good idea too far. Oooops, I goofed, there's a third. The Right used to argue against relativism passionately, and vehemently.

But mostly, it's interesting. I hope to run across a longer piece that goes into it deeper. Guess I should have clicked on the link in the article. Maybe later.

While I advocate, I also curate; part of being in a democracy is knowing enough to make good choices. Having made a lot of choices, both good and bad, perspective is something I hope to contribute.

I agree, postmodern trash can be hurled by anyone. I actually recall reading a NYT op-ed from 2017 showing how Trump not only used postmodern theory but had managed to use it to his advantage. I've also seen concepts like those by e.g. right-wing anti-vaxxers, Foucault's nonsensical critique of science as means to exercise power-knowledge (as if reality itself wasn't one of the greatest powers there is and could ever be) is now routinely being used by them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/opin ... tools.html
By QatzelOk
late wrote:If Foucault’s thought offers a radical critique of all forms of power and administrative control, then as the cultural left becomes more powerful and the cultural right more marginal, the left will have less use for his theories, and the right may find them more insightful.

Foucault's theories don't fit on the left-wing---right-wing axis. At all.

His criticisms were of power and civilization - whoever runs them and for whatever gods they cheer.

His "story" doesn't really change in this regard. From his first lectures, he is concerned about humanity being "tamed" by its institutions into becoming "the perfect housepets."

And the vocabulary of politics is one of the most important institutions in that it gets to define what "perfect" means. Today, for most people, "perfect" is what you seen in mass media characters and religious figures. These are the manipulative "text-based perfection models" that lead us to pethood.

And along with churches and mass media, other manipulative institutions include hospitals, schools, the police, and mental health concerns.

Giant Pharamaceutical companies can make a lot of money by re-inventing "health" right now.

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]