The Loneliness of the Long Time Secular Humanist. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Hi! That's me, a secular humanist in the United States of America.

I'm bombarded, day after day, with all manner of apologist comments about Republicans, Democrats, liberals, conservatives and libertarians.

I'm also bombarded with negative comments about Republicans, Democrats, liberals, conservatives and libertarians.

And here I am, not part of any of those categories. I look in vain for anyone to praise or disparage humanism and/or secularism. It's lonely way out here in the stars.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.
Not sure your philosophy has much to do with your politics. Politics is a team sport... I'm an atheist, and a Progressive Dem.

You might like Rorty:

"So pragmatists see the Platonic tradition as having outlived its usefulness. This does not mean that they have a new, non-Platonic set of answers to Platonic questions to offer, but rather that they do not think we should ask those questions any more. When they suggest that we not ask questions about the nature of Truth and Goodness, they do not invoke a theory about the nature of reality or knowledge or man which says that “there is no such thing” as Truth or Goodness. Nor do they have a “relativistic” or “subjectivist” theory of Truth or Goodness. They would simply like to change the subject. They are in a position analogous to that of secularists who urge that research concerning the Nature, or the Will, of God does not get us anywhere. Such secularists are not saying that God does not exist, exactly; they feel unclear about what it would mean to affirm His existence, and thus about the point of denying it. Nor do they have some special, funny, heretical view about God. They just doubt that the vocabulary of theology is one we ought to be using."

https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/rorty.htm
late wrote:Not sure your philosophy has much to do with your politics. Politics is a team sport... I'm an atheist, and a Progressive Dem.

You might like Rorty:

"So pragmatists see the Platonic tradition as having outlived its usefulness. This does not mean that they have a new, non-Platonic set of answers to Platonic questions to offer, but rather that they do not think we should ask those questions any more. When they suggest that we not ask questions about the nature of Truth and Goodness, they do not invoke a theory about the nature of reality or knowledge or man which says that “there is no such thing” as Truth or Goodness. Nor do they have a “relativistic” or “subjectivist” theory of Truth or Goodness. They would simply like to change the subject. They are in a position analogous to that of secularists who urge that research concerning the Nature, or the Will, of God does not get us anywhere. Such secularists are not saying that God does not exist, exactly; they feel unclear about what it would mean to affirm His existence, and thus about the point of denying it. Nor do they have some special, funny, heretical view about God. They just doubt that the vocabulary of theology is one we ought to be using."

https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/rorty.htm

Good morning, late!

Thank you for the quote

As to my relationship to politics, I use my acceptance of the tenets of Humanism as the basis for how I go about navigating the political waters. My government at its various levels does things which affect me and other fellow Americans. Humanism, with its basic foundation in seeing that which helps h. sapiens to thrive as the 'good', is my Baedeker in making my decisions at the polls or, in my case, on my mail-in ballot.

Platonic reasoning, essentially bifurcate, runs into problems when dealing with probabilistic considerations. Multivariate situations occur, possibly more often than not, in political discourse and societal 'issues'.

Torus34 wrote:And here I am, not part of any of those categories. I look in vain for anyone to praise or disparage humanism and/or secularism. It's lonely way out here in the stars.

I'm not sure if its connected to humanism or secularism, but I find the demand to "stay safe" deeply sinister. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always suspect that this actually means, be obedient to the rules laid by the Lockdown Liberals and their allies in the Pharmaceutical-sickness industrial complex. The big 5 are Lions, leopards, elephants, African buffalo, and rhinoceroses, I'm not quite sure what purpose remembering that would serve.
Rich wrote:I'm not sure if its connected to humanism or secularism, but I find the demand to "stay safe" deeply sinister. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always suspect that this actually means, be obedient to the rules laid by the Lockdown Liberals and their allies in the Pharmaceutical-sickness industrial complex. The big 5 are Lions, leopards, elephants, African buffalo, and rhinoceroses, I'm not quite sure what purpose remembering that would serve.

Hi, Rich!

Wowser! I hadn't looked at my little salutary close as sinister. Its intent is a wish that the recipient remain safe from harm and illness, neither of which appears on our ordinary short list of things to be desired.

The Big 5 are the generally agreed upon measures each of us can take to help our society combat the Covid-19 viral epidemic. They are, in brief, handwashing, masks, distance, vaccination and reliable information. In the rush of getting on with our lives, we can at times forget one or more of them.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

...Which Hamas refuses and wasn't ordered by the […]

@skinster so you confess that Hamas committed ma[…]

^ Wouldn't happen though, since the Israelis are n[…]

I was actually unaware :lol: Before he was […]