A Big 'If'. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Torus34
[Quoting myself from another site:]

"There's an 'if' in the Covid-19 virus vaccination squabble.

"The available data is relatively straight-forward. In simple terms, for the US population at large there's a significantly larger risk of death from contracting the Covid-19 virus if you have not been vaccinated with one of the available vaccines.

"Those who are urging people to forego vaccination, if they actually convince a significant number of people to follow their advice, are increasing the total number of deaths from the virus."

"I did a little number-crunching to try and get a handle on the words 'significant number of people'. As of this writing [10/15/2021] there have been both a reported number of deaths in the US assigned to the Covid-19 virus and also a figure for the total US population. The deaths work out to roughly 1 in 500. So, there's roughly a 50/50 chance that someone has added to the total of US covid-19 deaths if he/she has convinced 250 people not to get vaccinated."

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
By Steve_American
Torus34 wrote:[Quoting myself from another site:]

"There's an 'if' in the Covid-19 virus vaccination squabble.

"The available data is relatively straight-forward. In simple terms, for the US population at large there's a significantly larger risk of death from contracting the Covid-19 virus if you have not been vaccinated with one of the available vaccines.

"Those who are urging people to forego vaccination, if they actually convince a significant number of people to follow their advice, are increasing the total number of deaths from the virus."

"I did a little number-crunching to try and get a handle on the words 'significant number of people'. As of this writing [10/15/2021] there have been both a reported number of deaths in the US assigned to the Covid-19 virus and also a figure for the total US population. The deaths work out to roughly 1 in 500. So, there's roughly a 50/50 chance that someone has added to the total of US covid-19 deaths if he/she has convinced 250 people not to get vaccinated."

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

I'm totally not sure of your point.
Trump has convinced 50M people to not wear masks or get vaccinated. So, by your math 50,000,000/250 = 200,000 more deaths from covid-19-delta going forward from now. Plus maybe 2M more who will live the rest of their lives with long covid or some disability.

That seems like a bad thing.

However, the aim of Trump and the Repuds is to make Biden look bad in his handling of covid. And, as a result of the covid deaths to cause economic chaos to make Biden look worse.

Like the current lack of additional jobs last month is blamed on Biden, but 1M people quit their job, and so were subtracted from the plus job growth number in Aug., IIRC.
. . . How is it Biden's fault that 1M people quit? And also, why is 1M people quitting a bad thing?
. . . the 1st isn't and the 2nd isn't, either. The right wing and MS economists are just spinning the facts to fit their goals.
. . . I think it is a good thing that the working class think they now have the power or ability to improve their lives by quitting their sucky job. Many of them are becoming self-employed, often on line somehow.
By Torus34
Steve_American wrote:I'm totally not sure of your point.
Trump has convinced 50M people to not wear masks or get vaccinated. So, by your math 50,000,000/250 = 200,000 more deaths from covid-19-delta going forward from now. Plus maybe 2M more who will live the rest of their lives with long covid or some disability.

That seems like a bad thing.

However, the aim of Trump and the Repuds is to make Biden look bad in his handling of covid. And, as a result of the covid deaths to cause economic chaos to make Biden look worse.

Like the current lack of additional jobs last month is blamed on Biden, but 1M people quit their job, and so were subtracted from the plus job growth number in Aug., IIRC.
. . . How is it Biden's fault that 1M people quit? And also, why is 1M people quitting a bad thing?
. . . the 1st isn't and the 2nd isn't, either. The right wing and MS economists are just spinning the facts to fit their goals.
. . . I think it is a good thing that the working class think they now have the power or ability to improve their lives by quitting their sucky job. Many of them are becoming self-employed, often on line somehow.

Hi, Steve_Amrican.

My point was that if someone convinced enough people to forego Covid-19 viral vaccination, he/she caused deaths by doing so. I did not specify a 'who'. A 'conservative' AM radio talk show host could, perhaps, meet the conditions. The head of an anti-vax could also come under consideration.

Hope that clarifies the point of the OP.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.
By Torus34
Torus34 wrote:Hi, Steve_Amrican.

My point was that if someone convinced enough people to forego Covid-19 viral vaccination, he/she caused deaths by doing so. I did not specify a 'who'. A 'conservative' AM radio talk show host could, perhaps, meet the conditions. The head of an anti-vax could also come under consideration. I left that up to the reader.

Hope that clarifies the point of the OP.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

The pertinent information is in the post, for whic[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It has already been explained that this type of co[…]

Sure, keep thinking that. Election year is caus[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]