The HandMAIDS Tale... Margaret Atwood supports JK Rowling. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I read the book, and subsequently watched the series.

I'm moving away from depressing shit, or trying to, other than Jack Londen, lol, I've been reading him.

But it is a fine piece of work, check it out, if you are interested.

I had to comment, as I've indeed read and watched it. And it is good art.

The book is good, and it's better if you read it first, but fuck it, just get into the series, watch that shit.

It ain't bad. Pretty well made.
Crantag wrote:I read the book, and subsequently watched the series.

I'm moving away from depressing shit, or trying to, other than Jack Londen, lol, I've been reading him.

But it is a fine piece of work, check it out, if you are interested.

I had to comment, as I've indeed read and watched it. And it is good art.

The book is good, and it's better if you read it first, but fuck it, just get into the series, watch that shit.

It ain't bad. Pretty well made.

I loved Elizabeth Moss in The Invisible Man. Holy shit, talk about a surprise "remake is a masterpiece". I mean Claude Reins was great with his "crack jokes while invisibly killing people" original performance(which obviously influenced late horror films, including the Freddy series), but that remake was a masterpiece of sci-fi horror-thriller.
I read Atwood's book in my teens. I barely remember the book. It got weird in a few parts from what I recall. But I will say that women are often treated like unwanted things, possessions. Men are considered weak if they show too much tenderness with a woman.

I try to read lighter, more entertaining novels. I love a book that can make me laugh. The characters need to be interesting.
colliric wrote:I loved Elizabeth Moss in The Invisible Man. Holy shit, talk about a surprise "remake is a masterpiece". I mean Claude Reins was great with his "crack jokes while invisibly killing people" original performance(which obviously influenced late horror films, including the Freddy series), but that remake was a masterpiece of sci-fi horror-thriller.

Yeah, I should check those out.

Handmades Tale was a pretty decent tale, and worth checking out, thanks for the recommendations.
OP article link has a paywall.

Personally I think women should be referred to as "women", and transwomen should be referred to as "transwomen". Are trans-women...women? Well, they're transwomen. Are they the exact same in all regards to biological females born with a vagina? No. That's why we use the term "transwomen" to differentiate them from women. For a transwoman, their sex = male, gender = female. You can't change your "sex" via surgery or hormones, but you can change many of your secondary sex characteristics and the appearance of your genitals etc.

I'm fine referring to a transwoman as "she" or "her" etc. I'm not fine with pretending transwomen are exactly the same in all regards as women, because this is scientifically (biologically) inaccurate.
colliric wrote:https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1450429768067846145?t=b_5B-fp3kQRlh1VpasIp6w&s=19

Good on her, never read the book, never seen the tv series or film. But maybe I will now.

I bet pro-choicers probably won't share Handmaid's Tale memes anymore, lol.

She agrees with JK Rowling about Transexuals. Lol.

Attwood does not Agree with Rowlng,

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/11/06/m ... aids-tale/
The OP link is not to an article by Atwood, but to a Toronto Star opinion piece by Rosie DiManno. All we know is that Atwood tweeted a link, without comment, to it. Here's a non-paywalled archive of it: https://web.archive.org/web/20211021195 ... ymore.html

We don't know what bits of it Atwood agrees with, or thinks notable - she's uncommunicative on that. It's about language, but I think it's notable that the first two examples it uses - The Lancet and the ACLU - are both about a wave of indignation at anyone using a term apart from 'woman'. This seems to show the real problem is "why must we always say 'woman'?"
colliric wrote:https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1450429768067846145?t=b_5B-fp3kQRlh1VpasIp6w&s=19

Good on her, never read the book, never seen the tv series or film. But maybe I will now.

I bet pro-choicers probably won't share Handmaid's Tale memes anymore, lol.

She agrees with JK Rowling about Transexuals. Lol.

Source your information more widely and donlt jump o conclusions on fragmentary data.

Attwood does not agree with JK Rowling about Transsexuals. Attwood like the word women, isnt big on canael culture. But viewing the people as binary that agreeing with someone about one thing means your views align with them about everything else, that people are entire in one camp or another is simply wrong.

"After a certain female author came under fire recently for a series of transphobic rants from which she has repeatedly refused to back down, fellow noted female author Margaret Atwood has spoken up in support of trans rights.

Earlier this week, the Handmaid’s Tale author shared an article on “The New Science of Sex and Gender” from Scientific American, encouraging her followers to “Rejoice in Nature’s infinite variety!”"

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/ ... -community

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -the-truth

To one response, Atwood was blunt.

“Um, there are gay penguins. There are hermaphrodites. What the piece is talking about however is that sex and gender don’t always go together and are not experienced by all people in the same way. That appears to be undeniable.”

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/07/07/m ... g-twitter/
Unthinking Majority wrote:OP article link has a paywall.

Personally I think women should be referred to as "women", and transwomen should be referred to as "transwomen". Are trans-women...women? Well, they're transwomen. Are they the exact same in all regards to biological females born with a vagina? No. That's why we use the term "transwomen" to differentiate them from women. For a transwoman, their sex = male, gender = female. You can't change your "sex" via surgery or hormones, but you can change many of your secondary sex characteristics and the appearance of your genitals etc.

I'm fine referring to a transwoman as "she" or "her" etc. I'm not fine with pretending transwomen are exactly the same in all regards as women, because this is scientifically (biologically) inaccurate.

SHUTUP YOU TRANSPHOBE!

Doesn't he have billions in Truth social (you pos[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]

Based on what? On simple economics. and in t[…]