Tragedy or farce? Furore as Greek actor refuses to play for vaccinated only - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

ekathimerini wrote:Tragedy or farce? Furore as Greek actor refuses to play for vaccinated only

A Greek actor has forced the cancellation of a Eugene Ionesco play in Athens after refusing to perform only for vaccinated audiences, drawing criticism and praise in equal measure amid a surge of Covid-19 infections in the country.

Coronavirus cases in Greece hit record highs this month, prompting the government to impose more restrictions on the public life of unvaccinated people this week, banning them from indoor venues including restaurants, theatres, cinemas and gyms.

Greece has so far fully vaccinated about 62% of its population of around 11 million, below the European average of 67%. Authorities hope the rules will sway people to get the shot.

Aris Servetalis, a popular actor who starred in Ionesco’s 1959 absurdist play “Rhinoceros”, announced he was stepping down in an Instagram post late on Tuesday. The Kivotos theatre said the production was postponed indefinitely.

“I cannot support the segregation of people imposed by the new measures,” wrote Servetalis, who has voiced scepticism over the effectiveness of Covid-19 vaccines. “We are a society of individuals, not a herd divided between vaccinated and not.”

His decision drew a firestorm of criticism from across the entertainment world, which has been hard hit by several lockdowns since the pandemic began after already suffering during years of economic crisis.

“I am shocked,” said Spyros Bibilas, who heads the Greek Actors’ Association. “I did not expect an actor to stop a show, ignoring that other people work there too. I find it unacceptable.”

Development Minister Adonis Georgiadis tweeted his dismay, saying: “Are these reasons for leaving his colleagues unemployed, because he is not getting his way in the country?”

Responding to the criticism, Servetalis said he had informed the theatre company and the director in July of his intentions to leave if such measures were taken, allowing them time to find a replacement.

But thousands of Greeks took to social media to congratulate Servetalis, dubbed by some news outlets as “the hero of the anti-vaxxers.” Protests against vaccinations drew crowds of thousands this summer.

“It was about time someone said NO,” one Instagram user wrote below the actor’s post. “Ι bow to your ethos and integrity,” another said.

In Rhinoceros, Servetalis played the central character Berenger, the only resident of a provincial French town who does not turn into the animal. Theatre of the Absurd pioneer Ionesco had called it an anti-Nazi play.
“I cannot support the segregation of people imposed by the new measures,” wrote Servetalis, who has voiced scepticism over the effectiveness of Covid-19 vaccines. “We are a society of individuals, not a herd divided between vaccinated and not.”

Random thoughts.

I thought that the US was the only country that had sufficiently unintelligent people in any great numbers who would look to an actor for their healthcare advice.

Of course this pissant of a nobody would put hundreds of people out of work just to serve what is, no doubt, a publicity stunt. Maybe he wants to do another Axe Deodorant commercial.

Hopefully the Greek entertainment industry people will realize that he is a potential liability and not hire him anymore. He is six feet tall. He can earn a living picking olives.
article wrote:Responding to the criticism, Servetalis said he had informed the theatre company and the director in July of his intentions to leave if such measures were taken, allowing them time to find a replacement.

This is what really grinds my gears with such entitled people. The government measure was not announced until a few days ago and he claims he gave adequate notice because he may have mentioned something in passing back in the summer. Nevertheless, it is clear that major fault lies with the production team for not having another actor available as a replacement. I am guessing that it may be quite difficult to find brand name protagonists for major theatrical plays and have them rehearsed & ready in such short notice even if we take July as a reference.

I thought that the US was the only country that had sufficiently unintelligent people in any great numbers who would look to an actor for their healthcare advice.

They're everywhere and let not the European of 67% vaccinated fool you about Europe, there are several areas in several countries where the anti-vaxxers are dug in, especially so in France, Germany and Scandinavia.

Wake me up when you have something to replace it.[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]

Wars still happen. And violent crime is blooming,[…]