New Government in China - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Fasces wrote:The minute India becomes a technological, industrial, or financial rival to Western hegemony you'll start seeing a lot of news articles about the Kashmir issue, the caste issue, the "growing authoritarian tendancies of the Hindu parties", etc etc. Standard playbook.

I'm sure that's true.

The West may try to play India and China off each other, and ally mainly with India.

All 3 countries mainly just seem to want to make money, put out fires domestically, and control their regional spheres of influence. Add Russia too, though Putin seems too proud for his own good.
Fasces wrote:
Hawk-ish towards US and Taiwan

Unthinking Majority wrote:
Not surprising the turning to the right given increased frictions with foreign nations.

UM, you're showing that you're not understanding either history *or* the political spectrum on the left end of geopolitics.

The Maoists effectively *banished* the nationalists (KMT) to the island of Taiwan, and many fled to Hong Kong as well.

Given *that* history, any 'hawkishness' is going to be *pro-regime* / pro-CCP, against their historical enemies, meaning Taiwan. The CCP is a *Stalinist* regime, and Stalinism certainly isn't *right*-wing, horrendous as it *was* in the 20th century.

So we could think of Xi-ism as being 'left-wing geopolitical hawkishness against the revisionist left' -- since 'the revisionist left' (including U.S. liberals) is to the *right* of their 'left-edge' Stalinist geopolitical position.

Leftism -- Want, Get

Spoiler: show

Ideologies & Operations -- Fundamentals

Spoiler: show
ckaihatsu wrote:UM, you're showing that you're not understanding either history *or* the political spectrum on the left end of geopolitics.

The Maoists effectively *banished* the nationalists (KMT) to the island of Taiwan, and many fled to Hong Kong as well.

Given *that* history, any 'hawkishness' is going to be *pro-regime* / pro-CCP, against their historical enemies, meaning Taiwan. The CCP is a *Stalinist* regime, and Stalinism certainly isn't *right*-wing, horrendous as it *was* in the 20th century.

So we could think of Xi-ism as being 'left-wing geopolitical hawkishness against the revisionist left' -- since 'the revisionist left' (including U.S. liberals) is to the *right* of their 'left-edge' Stalinist geopolitical position.

Hmm, well good point in that maybe they aren't going "to the right". Let's unpack this:

Going to the right would also mean going more economically more liberalized, which @Fasces says they aren't (more closed, more government control). Being more hawkish in foreign policy...traditionally that's associated with the right. So they're going more economically left, and more authoritarian domestically (which is neither left nor right), and more hawkish. Essentially, Xi and the CCP want more control over everything and taking a more hardline approach.
Tainari88 wrote:Japan was burned to the ground by firebombing Tokyo and two A bombs thrown by the USA. That it was able to rise from the ashes and build itself up from defeat is incredibly interesting to study.

But the US did have military bases in Japan and you tend to always think the US does things democratically and never uses violence, intimidation tactics, and bullying stuff on other countries. The US government is BAD to the BONE with violence John Rawls. How you feel about Stalin and Estonia? Many people feel about the USA in Latin America and also in parts of Asia. That you fail to acknowledge that? When the evidence is overwhelming makes you not objective about what imperialism is. You hate Russian imperialism but you are blind to the USA-based imperialism. Why?

I don't know. Except you think the USA is the world's good guy. They are not. They are power-hungry warmongering immoral freaks in power. Just like all the others. In history.
Oh, even long before that, the United States forced concessions from Japan, via literal gun boat diplomacy, under Commodore Perry. The United States will cry foul when other countries try to gain an economic advantage in international commerce, and throw their weight around geo-politically, but do not necessarily abide by the same rules, as a global super power. P.S. I remember watching a movie I bought from a discount store, called "Collision Course" , whose plot largely centers upon Japanese automakers supposedly dumping vehicles upon the U.S. domestic market, while the Japanese government imposed tariffs upon American exports. So yes, there has been friction between the United States and Japan. Probably the main reason why there is not more outright animosity between our two countries is that Japan has served as a counterweight to the People's Republic of China, and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. And even though the predominant Liberal Democratic Party has historically favored protectionist trade policies, at least it serves to keep out the fairly sizable Japanese Communist Party, so that's why it has enjoyed C.I.A. backing. CIA supported Japan's ruling party during Cold War era , The Imperial Ghost in the Neoliberal Machine (Figuring the CIA)
Hmm, well good point in that maybe they aren't going "to the right". Let's unpack this:

Going to the right would also mean going more economically more liberalized, which @Fasces says they aren't (more closed, more government control). Being more hawkish in foreign policy...traditionally that's associated with the right. So they're going more economically left, and more authoritarian domestically (which is neither left nor right), and more hawkish. Essentially, Xi and the CCP want more control over everything and taking a more hardline approach.

The *whole world* is taking a more hardline approach, and the U.S. had a freaking *coup* because of such a-social intransigence.

Have you ever considered taking a class on China -- or maybe just a little time on Wikipedia. There's no need for anyone here to be so 'in-the-dark', and using *guesswork* for historical facts.
ckaihatsu wrote:The *whole world* is taking a more hardline approach, and the U.S. had a freaking *coup* because of such a-social intransigence.

Yes. Some of this is the pendulum swinging the other way to the right socially, for various reasons. Some is major demographic changes causing social panic. Some is a change in the international order. The world, or at least the most powerful countries in the world, are in upheaval at the same time. Dangerous times.

Have you ever considered taking a class on China -- or maybe just a little time on Wikipedia. There's no need for anyone here to be so 'in-the-dark', and using *guesswork* for historical facts.

Yeah but i'm lazy.
Yes. Some of this is the pendulum swinging the other way to the right socially, for various reasons. Some is major demographic changes causing social panic. Some is a change in the international order. The world, or at least the most powerful countries in the world, are in upheaval at the same time. Dangerous times.

Yeah but i'm lazy.

You're making it sound like current conditions resemble the runup to World War I, and yet, at the same time, you're just being *abstract* and not-referencing any actual news or events on the ground.

You're *exaggerating*, and then being willfully ignorant about China.
ckaihatsu wrote:You're making it sound like current conditions resemble the runup to World War I, and yet, at the same time, you're just being *abstract* and not-referencing any actual news or events on the ground.

You're *exaggerating*, and then being willfully ignorant about China.

Wtf are you talking about?
Burritos: chicken vs beef?

That's just *fun*. You're fun.

Burritos: chicken vs beef?

It a *trick question*, because it all depends on what the *polls* say.

(Score.)

= D

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/1781137192[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Desantis made it illegal for cities in Florida to […]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Honestly I think you should give up on hoping to […]