An interesting take on Jordan Peterson - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I am never going to read Peterson. His videos make my eyes roll and I worry something might get strained.

But, I spend far too much time on Youtube. Occasionally you stumble across something interesting. This is a video review of Petersons new book. Partly, it's more like a discussion of his new thinking. Since you prob never subjected yourself to the abuse of philosophy classes, all I can tell you is give the gal a chance.

I feel like she’s saying no one should talk about trans issues because we’re in the middle of social contagion and then I stopped listening..because most of it was over my head
That video is complete stupidity. :lol: It is an idiot's take on Jordan Peterson and his best-selling book which has sold over 5 million copies.

Jordan Peterson is not selling an ideology.
ness31 wrote:
I feel like she’s saying no one should talk about trans issues because we’re in the middle of social contagion and then I stopped listening..because most of it was over my head

I also posted it on another forum, and no one has been able to discuss the topic.

So you are not exactly alone in that regard. If you watched a bunch of Philosophy Tube videos, you'd learn a lot. But challenging the intellect is not something most people do.
Godstud wrote:
That video is complete stupidity. It is an idiot's take on Jordan Peterson and his best-selling book which has sold over 5 million copies.

"Ideologies are like assholes, everyone has one." (from that video)

Doesn't look like you stuck around for the summary at the end..

As I was just saying, I have yet to get a response from someone that understood the video. Doesn't look like I will, either.
Last edited by late on 25 Oct 2022 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Godstud wrote:It's simply an attempt to mock Peterson.

Peterson is very mockable.

If, as he says, universities are propaganda tools that indoctrinate your children into dangerous far-left ideologies.

And

He is a university professor.

He is a tool of the far-left indoctrinating your children.

:lol:
I did not watch the video.

JP is supposed to be some sort of self help guru using his keen insight to help young men navigate the turmoil of modern society.

He also has had his own emotional issues, weird medical problems from poor diet choices, had to be put into a medically induced coma to get over severe drug addiction, and lives off donations.

I find it hard to believe that we should look to him for advice.
Godstud wrote:That video is complete stupidity. :lol: It is an idiot's take on Jordan Peterson and his best-selling book which has sold over 5 million copies.

I am honestly curious what made your mindset go from a person who would defend Justin Trudeau's milky-wet vagina to defending Jordan Peterson?

I suspect Amazon's Lord of the Rings show was final straw 8)
Pants-of-dog wrote:I did not watch the video.

JP is supposed to be some sort of self help guru using his keen insight to help young men navigate the turmoil of modern society.

He also has had his own emotional issues, weird medical problems from poor diet choices, had to be put into a medically induced coma to get over severe drug addiction, and lives off donations.

I find it hard to believe that we should look to him for advice.

He's a clinical psychologist and has no expertise in food science. I would avoid taking diet advice from him, but I think much of his psychology advice is excellent.

His political takes are just opinions so I assume people will agree or disagree with them based on their own political leanings, and determine why most people generally like him or dislike him.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Unthinking Majority

It is a poor clinical psychologist who has no idea ow food affects mental health.

And the five guys from Queer Eye have better psychology advice.

I don't think he had medical problems from his diet, he had medical problems because he tried going off a medication that was prescribed to him but is also classified as a narcotic with risks for physical dependency and it sounds like his body had a very bad reaction to it when he tried to get off it.

He's helped countless people with his psychological advice so the proof is in the pudding. If you don't like his advice your free to ignore it.
Unthinking Majority wrote:I don't think he had medical problems from his diet, he had medical problems because he tried going off a medication that was prescribed to him but is also classified as a narcotic with risks for physical dependency and it sounds like his body had a very bad reaction to it when he tried to get off it.

Considering the fact that most of his health problems started soon after, and the lack of any evidence that it was just his cold turkey rehab from drug addiction (again, why would anyone want his advice?) , I will stick with what modern nutrition science tells us.

He's helped countless people with his psychological advice so the proof is in the pudding. If you don't like his advice your free to ignore it.

Like who?
Unthinking Majority wrote:I am honestly curious what made your mindset go from a person who would defend Justin Trudeau's milky-wet vagina to defending Jordan Peterson?
I defended someone who was lambasted for doing things in their youth, which we all have done. Mind you, I never did "black-face". Still, what you did 15 years earlier doesn't honestly reflect the person who might be, today.

As for Peterson... I looked further into Jordan Peterson. I watched how he was interviewed and what was said about him. I actually listened instead of trying to pick apart what he said. MSM contradicted what he said and wrote about.

@Pants-of-dog Peterson works as a clinical psychologist. Just because he doesn't make his patient list public, doesn't mean he doesn't help people. You are being particularly close-minded. @Unthinking Majority is correct.
@Pants-of-dog So you dismiss anything he's ever done because you have bought into the lies and media slander.

Cool. You're edgey.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Considering the fact that most of his health problems started soon after, and the lack of any evidence that it was just his cold turkey rehab from drug addiction (again, why would anyone want his advice?) , I will stick with what modern nutrition science tells us.

There's also no evidence to say his diet caused his health problems. And yes I agree, taking nutrition advice from people not in the field of nutrition is not wise.

Like who?

Like all of the people he says email him thanking him, and the many people who thank him when they meet him after his shows. Since he's had a clinical practice for decades I assume he's also helped many of them.
Jordan Peterson is an evasive idiot, nothing else needs to be said.

bernard schiff wrote:Several years ago, Jordan Peterson told me he wanted to buy a church. This was long before he became known as “the most influential public intellectual in the Western world,” as he was described in the pages of the New York Times a few months ago. It was before he was fancied to be a truth-telling sage who inspired legions, and the author of one of the bestselling books in the world this year. He was just my colleague and friend.

I assumed that it was for a new home — there was a trend in Toronto of converting religious spaces, vacant because of their dwindling congregations, into stylish lofts — but he corrected me. He wanted to establish a church, he said, in which he would deliver sermons every Sunday.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2018/05 ... erous.html

Edit: let me guess, I need to spend sixteen hundred hours reading more of Peterson's books and watching all his interviews but the above is completely dismissible without a second spent engaging with it. :roll:
Last edited by Fasces on 26 Oct 2022 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
Unthinking Majority wrote:I am honestly curious what made your mindset go from a person who would defend Justin Trudeau's milky-wet vagina to defending Jordan Peterson?

I suspect Amazon's Lord of the Rings show was final straw

It's the proven path for young boys - GamerGate was one vehicle, The Star Wars films and Ghostbusters another.

It starts with a few angry video rants about [favorite media property] being taken over by WOKE MOB, moves on to Youtube SJW CRINGE COMPILATION #42302 - LESBIAN GETS OWNED BY SUPERIOR LOGIC and ends with uncritical defense of capital T Traditionalists like Peterson. :lol:

Peterson is a paid columnist for far-right publications like the Daily Wire.

Add in a few WhatsApp group with old white boomers or edgy young men that like to "be critical of both sides" but generally submit memes criticizing just the one side, and you get an environment that has rotted the brain of millions and millions of Westerners and brought them closer to the embrace of Putin strongmanism.

Bannon had a nice interview all the way back in 2017 about how deliberate and planned this pipeline is.

@Deutschmania , @wat0n The definition of auth[…]

@QatzelOk calling another person a liar is not a[…]

Race is scientifically arbitrary. It was created […]

Well domestication was just a beneficial adaptati[…]