Exit Brexit, Part Deux - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By late
"On virtually every measure, from business investment to exports to employment, Britain is falling behind its peers. Think tank scholar John Springford put it simply: “If you impose barriers to trade, investment and migration with your biggest trading partner (EU), then you’re going to have quite a big hit to trade volumes, and to investment and to GDP.”

Britons know they were conned. According to one survey, a clear majority now believe that leaving the European Union was a bad idea, and almost two-thirds want a future referendum on rejoining. The current prime minister, Rishi Sunak, was a Brexiteer himself and continues to mouth platitudes about its virtues — while he faces a series of crises that has in part been generated by Brexit.

There is a remedy that would restore British growth, enlarge the country’s ambitions and return it to a central place in shaping a new world of great power competition. It would, of course, require that Britain return to the European Union.

Rishi Sunak is looking for a way to make a mark and turn Britain’s fortunes around. He has the solution staring him in the face. He just needs the courage to grab it."

Fareed Zakaria sums it up nicely. It may be a bitter pill, but it's past time to take their medicine..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/02/britain-brexit-economy-collapse/
By ingliz
@late

What makes you think the EU wants you?
I was shocked by the low wages offered to many UK citizens for full-time employment. Finding salaries in the six-figure ranges in many UK cities is difficult. Most of the work is between 12 Euros to 15 Euros an hour if you are lucky. I find that very low for the cost of living. How is the market in the UK? The job market?
By Beren
Maybe as Americans late and Fareed Zakaria don't understand that Brexit can't be just ousted as Trump could and made an exclusive (and dividing) issue for the Tory party.
By late
Beren wrote:
Maybe as Americans late and Fareed Zakaria don't understand that Brexit can't be just ousted as Trump could and made an exclusive (and dividing) issue for the Tory party.

When I said it was a bitter pill...
late wrote:When I said it was a bitter pill...

It's a bit harder and more complicated than that. It's as if a convincing majority of the Jews had wanted to return to Egypt from the Sinai because they'd realised (most of them always knew) that promised land Canaan was a lie and Moses was a charlatan and they're doomed to live on manna and quail in the wilderness forever. But how could they return and would Pharaoh let them back at all following the troubles they've caused?

Boris Johnson evokes Exodus story

By Beren
late wrote:No shit.

Political earthquake on the way..

Do you think Brexit will be undone if Labour win a landslide? It'll rather make it smoother, I guess. The point of my analogy actually is that Brexit has its own momentum regardless of any political will including the will of the people. But even if the Brits wanted to undo Brexit and take whatever bitter pill necessary for it, the EU still wouldn't let them back. They just can't jump in and out as they wish like frogs. It'll take some time before it even becomes possible for them to rejoin. Demographic changes will have to happen, for example, which will take a decade at least. There shouldn't be a Northern Ireland question as well perhaps. They'll also have to get assured that it's really worse for them outside the EU than it was inside, which also takes time.
Rancid wrote:If the UK were to rejoin. What will they have lost compared to if they never exited?

We would have to ditch our currency and join the Eurozone. Among other things. If we were to rejoin, our position would be much weaker within the EU than it had been before we left. Not to mention the national humiliation of coming crawling back to them after just a few years of “freedom”. Rejoining the EU would be such a bitter pill to swallow that I don’t see the leader of any political party campaigning in a General Election with that as part of their policy platform. No, Brexit is irreversible.
By wat0n
Potemkin wrote:We would have to ditch our currency and join the Eurozone. Among other things. If we were to rejoin, our position would be much weaker within the EU than it had been before we left. Not to mention the national humiliation of coming crawling back to them after just a few years of “freedom”. Rejoining the EU would be such a bitter pill to swallow that I don’t see the leader of any political party campaigning in a General Election with that as part of their policy platform. No, Brexit is irreversible.

Not irreversible, but I agree the UK would need to spend 10-20 years out before thinking about rejoining.
wat0n wrote:Not irreversible, but I agree the UK would need to spend 10-20 years out before thinking about rejoining.

Indeed. An entire generation will have to pass away before it even becomes thinkable. Come back in another 50 years, and maybe we’ll see….
By wat0n
Potemkin wrote:Indeed. An entire generation will have to pass away before it even becomes thinkable. Come back in another 50 years, and maybe we’ll see….

Well, it was the boomers who voted to take the UK out... Maybe it will be before 50 years.
wat0n wrote:Well, it was the boomers who voted to take the UK out... Maybe it will be before 50 years.

We like to take our time about things in this country, @wat0n. Fifty years is a minimum. Lol. :)
Unthinking Majority wrote:How come 25 years ago the same types of people (conservatives) that were for neoliberalism/free trade are now against it, and the ones that used to be against it (the left) are now for it?

Can you say “political opportunism”, @Unthinking Majority? Yes, you can. :)
Potemkin wrote:Can you say “political opportunism”, @Unthinking Majority? Yes, you can. :)

How one can be so hypocritical and full of shit is not a mystery. Anyone that wants to be a president of a country or a PM in that rotted Tory party or any other of those low moral compass political crap organizations in the UK is beyond my comprehension at this point.

I wonder what is next in the UK Potemkin?

I have my theories on why the UK walked out of the EU. And it has to do with myths and lies they have believed about themselves for too many years. They need some myth-busting going on big time. They brainwash people with sheer BULLSHIT about what they are achieving and doing. It is all a big MYTH.

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]

Will @skinster insist on her demand of watching […]

I (still) have a dream

...Kids don't need to drive anywhere to play with[…]

Jared Kushner is inspired by the real estate pote[…]