In Praise of Idleness - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Fasces
https://files.libcom.org/files/Bertrand ... leness.pdf

It should be society's goal to reduce the labor cost of necessary goods - basic food, shelter, water, and medicine - as much as possible. Labor cost refers to the hours of labor a person on minimum wage must work to pay for access to a good. Some argue that this encourages laziness, and that if costs are too low, or even zero, that this is a morally bad thing for society. Bertrand Russel's essay above offers a counterpoint.
By Potemkin
Fasces wrote:https://files.libcom.org/files/Bertrand%20Russell%20-%20In%20Praise%20of%20Idleness.pdf

It should be society's goal to reduce the labor cost of necessary goods - basic food, shelter, water, and medicine - as much as possible. Labor cost refers to the hours of labor a person on minimum wage must work to pay for access to a good. Some argue that this encourages laziness, and that if costs are too low, or even zero, that this is a morally bad thing for society. Bertrand Russel's essay above offers a counterpoint.

The attitude that idleness is morally reprehensible is a holdover from Christian theology - one of the punishments for Original Sin was God’s commandment that “in the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground”. Strangely enough, the rich don’t seem to feel that this applies to them as well as to the working classes - I guess their stock portfolio does the sweating for them. Lol.
Potemkin wrote:I guess their stock portfolio does the sweating for them. Lol

MABEL CHILTERN. How can you say such a thing? Why, he rides in the row at ten o'clock in the morning, goes to the Opera three times a week, changes his clothes at least five times a day, and dines out every night of the season. You don't call that leading an idle life, do you.

— Oscar Wilde, Act One, An Ideal Husband
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We produce large amount of drones and other robo[…]

The dominant race of the planet is still the White[…]

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (worl[…]