Accusations of rape when evidence shows the woman was going to have sex with the man - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Are false accusations of rape more common than false accusations of other crimes?
Yes or no?

I am not sure, but I definitely think there is a different type of dynamic going on there, than false accusations accusing someone of other crimes.

One question I can ask is this: How many types of crimes are there were someone can be convicted based on only one witness and no other evidence? (And I am talking about serious crimes that are punished with more than 2 years in prison)

Now it's true that murder is one, which definitely comes to mind. But in that situation someone actually has to be murdered for the other person to get convicted. This makes a difference, because if they catch the person who actually committed the murder, that person is probably going to get life in prison or the death penalty. In other words, if you kill one person to try to get someone else sent to prison by lying and saying you saw that person do it, you risk the very worst punishment if caught.

That is not necessarily really so much the case for a woman who falsely accuses a man of rape. (Many might say she deserves the same punishment the man she was accusing would have got, but take a look at what actually happens most of the time, the woman is only punished with a few years, or often doesn't even end up getting prosecuted at all, because they don't have enough evidence to prove with certainty the rape didn't happen)

In any case, I don't think it's that unreasonable to assume false rape accusations are many times more common than false accusations of murder.
Most women who want to use a false accusation to send someone else to prison would not be willing to commit a murder of someone else to do it, I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption.

The point of this is I think there are reasons why there should be special protections to protect men when the accusations are those of rape.

And look, I'm not even saying we can't put a man in prison based on a woman's allegations. I'm just saying we should exercise a lot of caution here. Don't put him in prison if there's the slightest evidence that suggests the woman could be lying or the evidence shows the woman had wanted to have sex with him. And don't put him in prison for too long as if we knew he had done the crime. There's a possibility he could be innocent, so only put him in prison for maybe 2, 3, or 4 years.
Puffer Fish wrote:there is a different type of dynamic going on

Correct, and it favours the man.

For victims in the UK, reporting rape is effectively a lottery, and the odds are rarely in your favour. In the year to December 2021, there were 67,125 rape offences recorded – an all-time high - yet the number of completed rape prosecutions plummeted from 5,190 in 2016-17 to just 2,409 in 2020-21. The number of convictions almost halved (2,689 in 2016/17 compared to 1,409 in 2020/21).

Only 5% of rapes that were given an outcome by the police in the year ending December 2021 resulted in a charge.

:roll:
ingliz wrote:For victims in the UK, reporting rape is effectively a lottery, and the odds are rarely in your favour.

And then there are women like this:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... emma-beale

"Jemma Beale claimed she had been sexually assaulted by six men and raped by nine, all strangers, in four different incidents over three years."
"Prosecutor Madeleine Wolfe told the court police spent 6,400 hours investigating Beale's claims at a cost of at least £250,000, and the trial cost at least £109,000."
"The Metropolitan police said one of the rape allegations made to police by Beale in 2010 led to the conviction of a man, Mahad Cassim, who was jailed for seven years."
Puffer Fish wrote:Are you familiar with the "burden of proof" fallacy?

In the justice system, the burden of proof is usually on the side making the accusations.

Or in politics, the side that wants government to do something.

You are making an accusation. You are claiming that a dynamic exists in rape cases that does not exist in other cases.

So, let us start by having you clarify what this dynamic is.
Puffer Fish wrote:Are you familiar with the "burden of proof" fallacy?

In the justice system, the burden of proof is usually on the side making the accusations.

Or in politics, the side that wants government to do something.

@Puffer Fish

@Pants-of-dog was asking for an article that supports your position. When we debate, we need to have actual evidence to back up our claim, not just bring up the names of fallacies. So each side has to do their research. If you cannot back up your claim, then you do not have a strong argument...this is what we learn in college or university.
Pants-of-dog wrote:You are making an accusation. You are claiming that a dynamic exists in rape cases that does not exist in other cases.

I'm just asking everyone to use some common sense. It's reasonable to guess that men get falsely accused of rape more than any other crimes, at least any which are anywhere near as serious.

You don't think that's a reasonable common sense thing to assume?
Puffer Fish wrote:I'm just asking everyone to use some common sense. It's reasonable to guess that men get falsely accused of rape more than any other crimes, at least any which are anywhere near as serious.

No, that us not reasonable.

This is why you beed to provide evidence.
Puffer Fish wrote:I'm just asking everyone to use some common sense. It's reasonable to guess that men get falsely accused of rape more than any other crimes, at least any which are anywhere near as serious.

Really? Why are you assuming that?

I can imagine if you thought false accusations done in bad faith go largely unpunished (since it requires proving the alleged victim committed perjury, which may be hard in practice) but the same could be said about any other crimes.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So the new aid package has given Joe Biden some le[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]